Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray ........... ????

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think he has a big part to play this season, even if only off the bench. He may surprise us all (and have Stat Brother apoplectic in the stands) by actually fitting in to GP’s plans and starting some games.

He scored the goals that kept us up over the last 2 seasons (allowing the club to continue to bank £105m per season in broadcasting income), on next to no service.

Muzza, as well as Locadia and Andone, will love the new tactics and midfield creativity.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Like everyone else I genuinely haven't got anything new to say.

Talk of 'well we'd love a younger proven striker to come in' just proves how ridiculous opinions are.

The club bought in a young proven striker and the manager refused to play him, favouring a completely ineffectual lumbering unit who offered 1 moment (from really shitehouse defending) through the last half of the season.

The 'gradually phased out' season posters are clinging onto should have been last season.

Now the hope seems to be Murray will drag even more new signings down to his level.

With that in mind it's probably best I don't join in. :lol:

Where I think you've always got it wrong is that you've effectively blamed the lack if impact from Jahanbakhsh, Locadia and in some ways Andone on Hughton and Murray. Well, the proof will soon enough be in the pudding.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He scored the goals that kept us up over the last 2 seasons (allowing the club to continue to bank £105m per season in broadcasting income), on next to no service.

Muzza, as well as Locadia and Andone, will love the new tactics and midfield creativity.

Whatever they maybe :lolol::shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The evidence from 2019 showed that Brighton were terrible. Pretty much none of that was due to Murray but you carry on as you know best. You are reminding me of an illustrious granddad atm.

- A midfield that failed to create.
- An attacking CM with no pace.
- CM’ers passing to the opposition, to allow counter attacks ending in critical goals conceded.
- Montoya destroyed by virtually every LW he played against.
- Allowing Stains, Burnley, Bmuff and Cardiff to control the ball at the Amex.
- Defensive howlers.

All of which was Glenn Murray’s fault.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
I didn't see GP on any of the clothing Harry was wearing - does that mean he hasn't got a part to play and could be off?!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Like everyone else I genuinely haven't got anything new to say.

Talk of 'well we'd love a younger proven striker to come in' just proves how ridiculous opinions are.

The club bought in a young proven striker and the manager refused to play him, favouring a completely ineffectual lumbering unit who offered 1 moment (from really shitehouse defending) through the last half of the season.

The 'gradually phased out' season posters are clinging onto should have been last season.

Now the hope seems to be Murray will drag even more new signings down to his level.

With that in mind it's probably best I don't join in. :lol:

It might be difficult because it's irrational.

It's not irrational at all. As much as SB's repeated mantra and refusal to accept Murray's good bits is a bit dull it really is time to accept that we'll only improve and move on with a younger striker leading the line most of the time.

That's not to say that Murray won't play his part. It's also not to say that GP might start games with him - I can think of no one better to knock in chances created by fast wingplay. But, to do that he'd need to be in prime postion when two quick players have broken, without being offside. We've seen last season that he increasingly can't do that. His body isn't cashing the cheques his brain is writing and he has to be offside to give himself a chance of being up with play.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where I think you've always got it wrong is that you've effectively blamed the lack if impact from Jahanbakhsh, Locadia and in some ways Andone on Hughton and Murray. Well, the proof will soon enough be in the pudding.
Yep and rather disappointingly for all of us we'll probably find the truth will be somewhere in the middle and nobody will be right.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not irrational at all. As much as SB's repeated mantra and refusal to accept Murray's good bits is a bit dull it really is time to accept that we'll only improve and move on with a younger striker leading the line most of the time.

That's not to say that Murray won't play his part. It's also not to say that GP might start games with him - I can think of no one better to knock in chances created by fast wingplay. But, to do that he'd need to be in prime postion when two quick players have broken, without being offside. We've seen last season that he increasingly can't do that. His body isn't cashing the cheques his brain is writing and he has to be offside to give himself a chance of being up with play.

Father time will/has catch up with Muzza, so you are ultimately correct.

But for seasons 2017/18 and 2018/19, perhaps the service was shite, with the ‘creators’ failing to pass to whoever our striker was at the right moment?

Separately, you could clearly see Stephens desperate to pass to a Propper, Gross, Jahanbakhsh or Locadia making a run, but each was superglued to their spot on the pitch.

The change in coach and some new players this summer, can only mean an end to all that dross. Genuinely interesting and exciting times ahead.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The white (on black) badge is really, REALLY annoying me. Who the **** signed that off?!

I actually like it, think it blends in with the shirt. We had a similar idea when we had our old green and black striped away kit in our first couple of seasons at the Amex, when the badge was in green and black to match the rest of the kit.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think he has a big part to play this season, even if only off the bench. He may surprise us all (and have Stat Brother apoplectic in the stands) by actually fitting in to GP’s plans and starting some games.

So you're saying there will be two benefits?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
- A midfield that failed to create.
- An attacking CM with no pace.
- CM’ers passing to the opposition, to allow counter attacks ending in critical goals conceded.
- Montoya destroyed by virtually every LW he played against.
- Allowing Stains, Burnley, Bmuff and Cardiff to control the ball at the Amex.
- Defensive howlers.

All of which was Glenn Murray’s fault.

And to be fair to Pascal he was injured for the Saints and Bmuff debacles at the Amex, and only made 54 minutes v Cardiff in his 1st match back ( so clearly wasn't fully fit ).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No help on that. I'd assume from the fact that Clarke has NOT been given Bruno's number 2, that we have not finished shopping for defenders, though.

Why would you give a centre back a traditional right backs number?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Brilliant. :lolol:

It does feel like that though. Just like when Bruno came here with every season feeling like it was his last chance to get promoted and play in the Prem, and it took 3 playoffs and an automatic to get there, and he still just about managed two seasons of top flight.

Joking aside if Murray can keep up a good fitness level and his team mates can get the ball to him he can stretch his career for a couple of seasons. Crouch is 38 and is still useful squad member to have.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I doubt there are many on here hoping I'm right about anything. :lolol: :rave:

hand-bursting-through-white-card-pointing-down-picture-id172220983

It does feel like that though. Just like when Bruno came here with every season feeling like it was his last chance to get promoted and play in the Prem, and it took 3 playoffs and an automatic to get there, and he still just about managed two seasons of top flight.

Joking aside if Murray can keep up a good fitness level and his team mates can get the ball to him he can stretch his career for a couple of seasons. Crouch is 38 and is still useful squad member to have.

CWt617PWsAApAm3.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here