Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I cannot wait for the Murray/Baldock partnership to fire us to promotion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
How much are we missing Glenn Murray?

Something Chris Hughton had that Graham Potter never did was a Glenn Murray who was still mobile enough to make an impact on the Premier League.

In 2017/18 he scored 14 times. The following season it was 15.

But it's not only his goals we miss. Its also his physical presence when defending setpieces, his on field voice, his penalties, his dominance in the air, his ability to win a freekick to alleviate pressure, these are all little parts of his game that we have lost without being adequately replaced.

Yes we need a top quality striker to score more goals, but whoever we go for, he must be more like Glenn Murray.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Something Chris Hughton had that Graham Potter never did was a Glenn Murray who was still mobile enough to make an impact on the Premier League.

But it's not only his goals we miss. Its also his physical presence when defending setpieces, his on field voice, his penalties, his dominance in the air, his ability to win a freekick to alleviate pressure, these are all little parts of his game that we have lost without being adequately replaced.

Yes we need a top quality striker to score more goals, but whoever we go for, he must be more like Glenn Murray.

Glenn is a natural goal scorer. So hard to find and so expensive normally.

I think ‘peak Murray’ would be in double figures for us this season, so many great chances created by the team, only for players to miss.

I’m not confident we’ll find a replacement anytime soon however. We just can’t afford one. It’s be another punt on someone like Locadia - getting someone with Murray’s goal scoring instinct is the key to survival.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Too old now and would only be good for a last 15mins sub, he was a cart horse in his last few games with us and he knows it too.
Great servant for the club but even he knows at 37 that it ain't happening.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Too old now and would only be good for a last 15mins sub, he was a cart horse in his last few games with us and he knows it too.

To bring Muzza back in would be a sign of abject desperation.

We're way above getting in someone rejected by Watford to score our way out of trouble

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I don't think anyone would suggest otherwise, But a role coaching the attackers might put him to good use.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'd get him back for the rest of the season just for the lift he'll give the club.

Agree he's probably past it, but he could still grab us the odd vital goal. Last night, if he'd been on the pitch I would always have been thinking we 'd have a chance.

Great player and this season especially has made it clear how hard he has been to replace.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Absolutely.

One of the CH fanboys made a comment here the other day that GP has better strikers available then Hughton ever did.

I could not disagree more. Maupay, Connolly, AJ, Welbeck... none of these guys are anywhere close to the caliber of finisher that Glenn was for us.

I don’t know if brining him back into the team will work now. But it wouldn’t do any harm him doing some finishing sessions at the club. Surely there’s a coaching role for someone like him with us.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Absolutely.

One of the CH fanboys made a comment here the other day that GP has better strikers available then Hughton ever did.

I could not disagree more. Maupay, Connolly, AJ, Welbeck... none of these guys are anywhere close to the caliber of finisher that Glenn was for us.

I don’t know if brining him back into the team will work now. But it wouldn’t do any harm him doing some finishing sessions at the club. Surely there’s a coaching role for someone like him with us.

Funniest thing is if you go back to the start of this thread people were saying he was over the hill then and not a patch on Zamora etc...

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Looking back at this thread, It does look as though NSC can be wrong about some things.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
To bring Muzza back in would be a sign of abject desperation.

We're way above getting in someone rejected by Watford to score our way out of trouble

I can't work out if this is a subtly brilliant post or a terrible post.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'd get him back for the rest of the season just for the lift he'll give the club.

Agree he's probably past it, but he could still grab us the odd vital goal. Last night, if he'd been on the pitch I would always have been thinking we 'd have a chance.

Great player and this season especially has made it clear how hard he has been to replace.

Totally this. 15 minutes to go, stick him on the penalty spot and get crosses in, at 37/38 he'll still head the ball better than any other forward player at the club.

Of course potterball doesnt allow, we have to get in good wide areas before passing it backwards, then back again then back to Sanchez to launch it up field.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Totally this. 15 minutes to go, stick him on the penalty spot and get crosses in, at 37/38 he'll still head the ball better than any other forward player at the club.

Of course potterball doesnt allow, we have to get in good wide areas before passing it backwards, then back again then back to Sanchez to launch it up field.

But at least then when Sanchez does launch upfield we might win it :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here