Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Hoddle

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Trouble with Hoddle was that wherever Hoddle was, twaddle wasn't far away. The Eileen Drewery moment tipped him over to the David Icke league - so, a no from me - please keep him as far away from my beloved Albion as possible.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Trouble with Hoddle was that wherever Hoddle was, twaddle wasn't far away. The Eileen Drewery moment tipped him over to the David Icke league - so, a no from me - please keep him as far away from my beloved Albion as possible.

Surely shaking things up has got to be worth a punt though. With the UK HQ of Scientology in our very own county we could be tapping into a whole host of talent from planets we've never heard of. If Buckley embraced his inner thetan he might overcome his niggling hamstring injuries and the team could run out to Will Smith's 'Gettin' Jiggy With It' every home match. A triumvirate of Hoddle, Icke and David Miscavige could be just the ticket to fire us to intergalactic glory and beyond.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The argument that the last decent England team was the 1998 World Cup one is interesting. I'd say it probably was but I'd also say that it had very little to do with Hoddle. Or rather that it could have been so much better.

If you look at the players available at the time, the ones he took and didn't take and the whole way he managed the campaign I've always felt that if Hoddle hadn't been in charge we'd have done a lot better.

I could write an essay on it but the final outcome is what people remember and most people probably remember Beckham being blamed for it (or still blame him). I always blamed Hoddle.

GH picked Beckham in every qualifying game and then dropped him for the first game in the finals stating that he "wasn't focused". This was a common trait of Hod's, trying to prove that he was really clever and understood things other people couldn't.

I'm still convinced that had Beckham not been wound up by Hoddle's mind games and his desperation on the training ground (recounted by several England players) to prove that he was still the most skillful of any of them (see Gascoigne P. dropped), he wouldn't have reacted to Simione being a **** and wouldn't have been sent off.

A stupid man who thinks he's clever is the worst and most dangerous sort of man. That is Glenn Hoddle and I can't stand him.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
The argument that the last decent England team was the 1998 World Cup one is interesting. I'd say it probably was but I'd also say that it had very little to do with Hoddle. Or rather that it could have been so much better.

If you look at the players available at the time, the ones he took and didn't take and the whole way he managed the campaign I've always felt that if Hoddle hadn't been in charge we'd have done a lot better.

I could write an essay on it but the final outcome is what people remember and most people probably remember Beckham being blamed for it (or still blame him). I always blamed Hoddle.

GH picked Beckham in every qualifying game and then dropped him for the first game in the finals stating that he "wasn't focused". This was a common trait of Hod's, trying to prove that he was really clever and understood things other people couldn't.

I'm still convinced that had Beckham not been wound up by Hoddle's mind games and his desperation on the training ground (recounted by several England players) to prove that he was still the most skillful of any of them (see Gascoigne P. dropped), he wouldn't have reacted to Simione being a **** and wouldn't have been sent off.

A stupid man who thinks he's clever is the worst and most dangerous sort of man. That is Glenn Hoddle and I can't stand him.

Wow.

Probably the biggest load of shit I have read in 11 years on NSC.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I realise there are a lot of Spurs sympathisers on here. Doesn't change reality.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Would be happy if Hoddle were to get the job. Good coach with reputation for trying to develop youth. When I consider some of the other names in the frame such as Mowbray or even Hughton with his negative football then what's not to like

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
He may well have been an outstanding footballer, but I don't want him anywhere near the Albion. I'm not overly fussed who comes in other than Hoddle.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I know there were issues with him trying to prove he was the best player on the training pitch etc but a) he hadn't that long finished playing at that time and was probably still wishing he was out there and b) he probably was. I would like to think he'd be a bit different now he's closer to sixty than being a professional footballer.

I'd be happy with Hoddle. I get the feeling it would either be a fantastic success or a total disaster though. Personally, I'd be willing to risk it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Speaking as a person of no faith, you're right, he's a headcase

Is this a historic meeting of minds between a believer and a non-believer..... well, that might be overstating it a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here