Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Hoddle

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Speaking as a person of faith, I would be interested from a purely football point of view. But with the rest of the baggage, forget it. he's a headcase.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Taken from Gary Neville's book...

"Hoddle took over from Venables and it's been said before: if only he had possessed the man-management skills to go with his undoubted football intelligence. He was a very good coach who wanted England to play the right way.

"He also believed in alternative methods, including Eileen Drewery, the faith healer, who'd visited the camp a few times before the World Cup. As a bit of a sceptic, I'd never gone to see her. When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn's favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we'd done at United, but all above board, I'm sure.

"After some of the lads said they'd felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer. So many of the players decided to go for it before that Argentina match that there was a queue to see the doctor. Before the game, Glenn did his usual pre-match routine of moving around the players, shaking their hands and touching them just over the heart. We'll never know if the methods had any positive effect.

"One of the masseurs told me Glenn had asked the staff to walk around the pitch anti-clockwise during the game against Argentina to create positive energy. Sadly, it didn't do us much good."

I suppose it has got a bit of a Brighton alternative vibe about it. Maybe we will open a club shop in Kensington Gardens if he comes here?

" Sadly it didn't do us much good "....either Neville has a massive anti-Hoddle agenda or his memory is very poor. I thought England were magnificent in that game, particularly when they went down to ten men. England were unlucky not to win and Hoddle's tactics/strategy were superb.
Hoddle is one of the best coaches around and I don't mind a bit of ' left-field/wacky ' providing it achieves results.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I cannot remember the game, it was about 1-2 years ago, when Hoddle and Jamie Redknap were on Sky, chatting after a game had finished. Redknap made him look like a right plonker that knew nothing about modern football. After his shenanigans with England, I hope he is not a contender!

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
" Sadly it didn't do us much good "....either Neville has a massive anti-Hoddle agenda or his memory is very poor. I thought England were magnificent in that game, particularly when they went down to ten men. England were unlucky not to win and Hoddle's tactics/strategy were superb.
Hoddle is one of the best coaches around and I don't mind a bit of ' left-field/wacky ' providing it achieves results.

Which it didn't.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Ignoring the fact we got to three straight quarter finals under Sven (better than Hoddle did). But then Sven is foreign so you probably don't rate him!

That's subjective. We went out to Argentina on pens(again) having played most of the game with ten men and having a perfectly good goal disallowed(again).

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Doesn't change the fact that was the last time England were a decent side.

I agree. Whatever he was doing off the field seemed to have a positive effect on the pitch. I thought under Hoddle England played some great football. Shame it ended the way it did but the FA had no real choice due to the comments made.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That's subjective. We went out to Argentina on pens(again) having played most of the game with ten men and having a perfectly good goal disallowed(again).

Brilliant. So to understand the point. You make a statement that has no basis in fact. I counter with an actual fact and you tell me it's subjective. I'm not arguing that we didn't do well that game just that you were making a sweeping statement and making it sound like fact.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Brilliant. So to understand the point. You make a statement that has no basis in fact. I counter with an actual fact and you tell me it's subjective. I'm not arguing that we didn't do well that game just that you were making a sweeping statement and making it sound like fact.

But you would agree that an average side can get to a quarter final and lose and a better side can go out in the last 16 when the luck goes against them??? We will never know what Hoddle would have done with England, but you would agree it was looking promising at the time, no???

Stumpy Tim

Hoddle's team was the last England team I thought had a real chance of winning the tournament. We were solid and had real quality. We also won the Tournoi the year before in France. Best England manager since Bobby Robson IMO

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
But you would agree that an average side can get to a quarter final and lose and a better side can go out in the last 16 when the luck goes against them??? We will never know what Hoddle would have done with England, but you would agree it was looking promising at the time, no???

I wouldn't say it was a fact that it was the last decent England team. Remember we went out on penalties twice under Sven too. I think he did a good job considering the situation. I wasn't saying the Hoddle team was poor. Just that Sven's team were decent too.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I wouldn't say it was a fact that it was the last decent England team. Remember we went out on penalties twice under Sven too. I think he did a good job considering the situation. I wasn't saying the Hoddle team was poor. Just that Sven's team were decent too.

I maybe wrong here, there has been quite a few. But didn't Sven take over from Hoddle or have I missed someone out???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here