[Albion] Glenn Hoddle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hoddle has some 'baggage' with his rather unfortunate personal views from about 15 years ago but before we get too precious so do many other managerial candidates being touted (plus our existing manager if he stays) also have some form of baggage, some of it at least as serious. Harry, Fergie Jnr etc.

Quite.
All this..." Don't want him or him or him " etc...it is all a bit too precious. This knocking of experienced credible candidates clearly indicates a certain ignorance amongst fans. The blind devotion to Poyet and slagging off of all and sundry is painfully narrow-minded.
Hoddle's experience and expertise is far in advance of Poyet. Managed at the highest level of the game. Unlucky to get knocked out of the 98 World Cup and yet fans are on here are dismissing him out of hand.
Yes please. I'll pay for his taxi from Reading to Brighton.

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
I'd take Hoddle in a heartbeat.

Plays the game in the right way, hasn't been out of football completely since his last job (running his academy etc), managed at the highest level, would tie in well with the opening of our new Academy, working with the youngsters etc.

I know we've come a long way as a club over the last few years but I don't think we are yet in a position to be turning our noses up at a guy with this sort of CV. (I admit that the disabled comment may well put a few off which is fair enough).

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
same as gus then according to vicente so he should fit in perfectly

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting professional footballers to aspire to the highest possible level of technical skills. Being comfortable on the ball is key to moving it around sweetly and retaining possession while taking advantage of as many opportunities that you can create. Not exactly one of the greatest strengths in English footie at the moment.

That's why it would be great to see a Hoddle or Bergkamp as our manager. The football should be easy to watch too.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I’m not a big fan of auto biographies but Tony Cascarino’s is better than the average and he has a bit to say for himself. He goes to town on Hoddle. Paraphrasing from memory there were criticism’s along the line of

Got frustrated with players who had less ability than he did and treated them like school children
Was the unfunniest man he knew ‘If Glen cracked a joke, it was time to pass around the laughing gas’
Completely Vain and self centred : If Glenn was an Ice cream, he’d lick himself

Also, an old article is linked below but one which is worth a read nonetheless detailing the amount of his players he has criticized in public including a certain Mr Beckham. I can’t say I’m enamoured with the prospect of Hoddle as manager but in fairness there are not many realistic names out there which make me jump for joy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2003/oct/05/newsstory.tottenhamhotspur

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
[QUOTE=Iggle Piggle;

Completely Vain and self centred : If Glenn was an Ice cream, he’d lick himself

Seamless change from the last three and a half years, then.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If we're gonna get someone who's last job was shittly managing Wolves couldn't we at least get O'Connor as he's ex-Albion?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Tom O'Connor as our next manager?
I'll Name That Tune in 1 thankyou very much: NO

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The handicap gaff is so yesterday.
:facepalm:
"Handicap gaff"

Indeed.

*drama queen alert*
yes I understand the offence caused. But most sane people offended don't carry that bitter grudge on 15 years later. What he said was wrong in my opinion. Doesnt require being hung drawn and quartered though does it.
No indeed it doesn't. He made a mistake and needed to be educated, and that's it. But why are you calling it a 'handicap' gaff? We don't refer to disabled people as handicapped, as that would mean they beg for money with a cap in their hand.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
:facepalm:
Indeed.

No indeed it doesn't. He made a mistake and needed to be educated, and that's it. But why are you calling it a 'handicap' gaff? We don't refer to disabled people as handicapped, as that would mean they beg for money with a cap in their hand.
Fair to say I have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports