Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen murray?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
£3.5m is not a lot to pay if it results in a Premier League cash injection, it could however be completely crippling if promotion isn't secured. A risk which I'm quite sure we won't be taking.

Crippling? Really? When we've just brought in around £14m in transfer fees?...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Err, he's worth easily that. A striker who will consistently get (and lay on) goals in the Championship?! Jordan Rhodes went for £8m. IMO Murray is a better all-round player.

I know you like him and so do I, exactly what we are missing, but at 3.5 million.... now way

Id be interested at 1 million - 1.5 maximum

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know you like him and so do I, exactly what we are missing, but at 3.5 million.... now way

Id be interested at 1 million - 1.5 maximum

Yeah I'm probably being silly to be honest. I'm not so fussed about the age thing anyway though, I'd see it as a 2-3 season punt, he's never been a quick player anyway so shouldn't affect his game too much.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I was never a big Murray fan and, at the time, thought that we'd upgraded with the arrival of CMS. However, in our current predicament the arrival of a proven Championship scorer is surely exactly what we need? £3.5m is a lot of cash for a player of his age but he gets goals, and without that we are in real danger of dropping down to League 1 - which I guess would hit the bottom line to the tune of more than £3.5m.

How many other proven goalscorers are available at that price? Not many I would guess.

Irrespective of his history and the way he left, and even if we only got six good months out of him, it would be money well spent imho. Not that it is likely to happen though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Yeah I'm probably being silly to be honest. I'm not so fussed about the age thing anyway though, I'd see it as a 2-3 season punt, he's never been a quick player anyway so shouldn't affect his game too much.

Yeah age isnt a problem for Murray, very Sherringham like in that respect.

The budget should actually be there if we ship out CMS in Jan

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shows just how big Bloom/Poyet's ( delete as appropriate depending on your view) cock up actually was. We had a player who Bloom/Poyet didn't rate enough to give him a decent pay rise so signed CMS for 3.5 million. Ironic that three years and bad knee injury later GM is considered to be worth £3.5 million, I doubt CMS is worth more than £350K now.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Come on he won't be going to you . I thought you'd moved since you last had him ?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
If he stayed with us for 2-3 years and helped get the team up to the Prem (quite possible, he's done it before with a certain other side), I think he'd be worth it somehow. For me it's worth a gamble, he's settled here and we NEED a player of this type, and I can't think of many others off the top of me head.

As I said, I think Glenn's all-round game is definitely superior to Rhodes', and would cause far more goals for the team. He laid about 10 goals on a plate for Barnesy in the promotion season.

Couldn't agree more with this.
£3.5m is a small price to pay for Premiership status

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Strikers who can hold up the ball intelligently and score and assist consistently are absolute GOLD DUST in the Championship. Very few of them exist. Ulloa was one - he's now one of the top scorers in the Prem. Murray is another. It's the EXACT player/type of player we are missing, and absolutely desperate for. Sometimes you need to break the bank to get a bit of quality in that will guarantee you points.

Even more so to Derby, our style of play is entirely dependent on Chris Martin, I honesly don't know what we'd do without him, so it makes sense that we'd be interested in Murray - While I know there's money to spend and staying within FFP, I can't see us shelling out £3.5m.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Relevant points:

1. Murray is going to be available in the window.
2. Murray is scoring goals in this division.
3. CMS has suffered a bad injury and we're yet to see if he can reproduce the form that he shows at Peterborough. He's a risk.
4. CMS may still have some decent resale value - possibly £900K - £1mill.
5. Baldock is a similar player to CMS but younger.

Logic says to me that you ship out CMS for what you can get and re-sign Murray. You then have two different strikers rather than two identical strikers.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Relevant points:

3. CMS has suffered a bad injury and we're yet to see if he can reproduce the form that he shows at Peterborough. He's a risk.

Logic says to me that you ship out CMS for what you can get and re-sign Murray. You then have two different strikers rather than two identical strikers.

Except the likelihood is we can't afford Murray

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Relevant points:

If we got Murray and sold CMS, we would still need another striker to replace CMS. You can't be competitive in this league with just two strikers because injuries happen.

If, hypothetically, we did get Murray we could use the three of them very effectively over the whole game. So I don't see the scenario of one in one out being a good move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here