Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury Festival 2023 - the thread

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I still reckon they'll go ahead and play. I wonder if cancelling the Dublin gig was a precaution rather than anything else.

In fairness, they have been on tour constantly for the last few months with only a gap between their Asian tour and their Euro tour. They were fantastic in Hamburg.
Looks like Arctic Monkeys will be playing tonight. I couldn't see them missing Glastonbury.

Feel for the Irish fans though.

Ah! I Was looking for this thread. I'm not there this year, but I'm ok with that, can't go every year. Gives me something else to do this weekend which is camping, getting pissed and listening to Glastonbury!

Looking forward to seeing Artic Monkeys tonight, they are brilliant. I had a look at the full line up yesterday and there are actually artists all over the place who I would have 100% gone to see.

Why is it though, when I watch Glastonbury I always get emotional, live music always does it to me and I dj myself, it is easily the best music event on the British summer calendar by a country mile.

Anyone on here that is there this year?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Ah! I Was looking for this thread. I'm not there this year, but I'm ok with that, can't go every year. Gives me something else to do this weekend which is camping, getting pissed and listening to Glastonbury!

Looking forward to seeing Artic Monkeys tonight, they are brilliant. I had a look at the full line up yesterday and there are actually artists all over the place who I would have 100% gone to see.

Why is it though, when I watch Glastonbury I always get emotional, live music always does it to me and I dj myself, it is easily the best music event on the British summer calendar by a country mile.

Anyone on here that is there this year?
Watched the We Love Glastonbury programme on iPlayer and got a little emotional. It's the best place on earth. Gutted as always not to be there.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Today WOULD be about the Hessle Audio daytime takeover and the DJ Yoda 50 years of hip hop set then over to Greenpeace for the Glitterbox takeover to catch Girls of the Internet then I'd be all over Hot Chip before disappearing into wherever but attempting to catch Midland in NYC Downlow and Alern8 b2b Shadowchild if I remembered. What a f***ing festival.

Would recommend to anyone there to catch Luke Una DJ in San Remo tomorrow at 5.

Today WOULD be about the Hessle Audio daytime takeover and the DJ Yoda 50 years of hip hop set then over to Greenpeace for the Glitterbox takeover to catch Girls of the Internet then I'd be all over Hot Chip before disappearing into wherever but attempting to catch Midland in NYC Downlow and Alern8 b2b Shadowchild if I remembered. What a f***ing festival.

Would recommend to anyone there to catch Luke Una DJ in San Remo tomorrow at 5.
Fantastic choices.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Billy Nomates. Brilliant performance, huge energy, there's a touch of the Ian Curtis about the way she loses herself in the song. Just strange it's mainly to backing tracks. Is that just me hung up on seeing backing musicians onstage?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Funny line from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/festivals-and-events/how-the-middle-class-ruined-music-festivals/

As one Reddit thread put it more poetically: “It’s so middle class these days the welfare tent is run by BUPA!” (Fact check: it’s not, not yet at least...)
Send ol' Hattie (lol) to Reading Festival at the end of August and we'll get an article about how the youth of today are too rough and tumble for her. Some papers and people just love to hate on things people enjoy.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Send ol' Hattie (lol) to Reading Festival at the end of August and we'll get an article about how the youth of today are too rough and tumble for her. Some papers and people just love to hate on things people enjoy.
Don't think anyone would accuse Leeds/Reading of being middle-class, but they're blatantly outliers in the festival world.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Don't think anyone would accuse Leeds/Reading of being middle-class, but they're blatantly outliers in the festival world.
Of course Reading is middle-class. It's a £300 piss up for 16 year olds who have just got their GCSE results. It's always been middle-class as f*** in my lifetime.

Not the point either. Ultimately, live music is ridiculously expensive at the moment. General admission for All Points East (1 day) is £91 and you get one stage, one headline act and a few bands you've never heard of. £112 for Guns n Roses at Hyde Park or £102 for bloody Take That there and it is one of the worst venues for an outdoor gig. What Glastonbury offers is good value for money: lots of choice in music, food, drink, over 5 full days for £340. Hattie's criticism seemed to be that the price was the main issue around class; "The festival season is upon us. Or, at least, upon those of us with deep pockets. The cost of Glastonbury tickets has, this year, risen from £270 to £340. Who can afford that, you might ask? In brief, the middle aged and middle classed." It's just lazy, pandering rubbish. Literally, just trying to turn people against each other. How can we make our older readers angry about people having fun in a field?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Of course Reading is middle-class. It's a £300 piss up for 16 year olds who have just got their GCSE results. It's always been middle-class as f*** in my lifetime.
Ok, but it doesn't have yoga, hot tubs, ruddy George Ezra (had to check, mind), Cinch sponsorship, poetry readings...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Not the point either. Ultimately, live music is ridiculously expensive at the moment. General admission for All Points East (1 day) is £91 and you get one stage, one headline act and a few bands you've never heard of. £112 for Guns n Roses at Hyde Park or £102 for bloody Take That there and it is one of the worst venues for an outdoor gig. What Glastonbury offers is good value for money: lots of choice in music, food, drink, over 5 full days for £340. Hattie's criticism seemed to be that the price was the main issue around class; "The festival season is upon us. Or, at least, upon those of us with deep pockets. The cost of Glastonbury tickets has, this year, risen from £270 to £340. Who can afford that, you might ask? In brief, the middle aged and middle classed." It's just lazy, pandering rubbish. Literally, just trying to turn people against each other. How can we make our older readers angry about people having fun in a field?
I love watching Glastonbury, never been mind. Can’t stand crowds that big! I too think live music is ridiculously expensive these days, but it’s not like middle classes can afford either. It’s about choosing with the budget. And I think you’ve hit nail on head. Glastonbury offers comparatively good value. And has huge demand. Be empty fields otherwise. Instead there’s a temporary city, and it’s a joyful few days watching if you’re there or not. What’s not to like?! I too don’t get the poo pooing it’s been ruined stories that get trotted out each year. Lazy journalism as you say!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here