Glad we're shot of Gus now??

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
OK, here's a first. I'm gonna quote myself, because my thoughts on Gus are still as per.
So a £23 million + budget and a spanking new stadium aswell as the feel good factor meant nothing then?
So it was all thanks to poyet as the above meant nothing:facepalm:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So a £23 million + budget and a spanking new stadium aswell as the feel good factor meant nothing then?

It was the 8th biggest budget, as for feel good factor, what sentimental nonsense.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Err....£23m budget ? Care to break that down ?

We're talking about a manager who took us from 20th in L1 to 4th in the Championship in less than 3 years. If you think that was some kind of "formality" then fair play, but plenty of other managers have tried and failed to get anywhere NEAR than kind of transformation.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
OK, here's a first. I'm gonna quote myself, because my thoughts on Gus are still as per.

His managerial achievements thus far, Division One Winners, League Cup finalists, the clock is now ticking for Gus I fear. he didn't know what he had at the Amex. Just imagine what the likes of Eddie Howe would have done with the opportunity. I don't have any thoughts on Poyet, their only chance of anything this year was the FA Cup and they got beat by Bradford. I feel they may be in for the drop tis year, as we are unfortunately.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
His managerial achievements thus far, Division One Winners, League Cup finalists, the clock is now ticking for Gus I fear. he didn't know what he had at the Amex. Just imagine what the likes of Eddie Howe would have done with the opportunity. I don't have any thoughts on Poyet, their only chance of anything this year was the FA Cup and they got beat by Bradford. I feel they may be in for the drop tis year, as we are unfortunately.

None of which alters the fact that he was EXACTLY what we needed, EXACTLY when we needed it. The way it all ended was gruesome, but it doesn't alter the fact that he remains one of the best managers this club has ever had. And I remain of the opinion that if we'd got another year out of him, we'd have made it to the Prem.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Christ you get some right pricks on here:nono:
I Facking hate poyet and never liked him here as he's an egotistical **** who did nothing but disrespect our club,yes our club and Facked up our chances against palace with his shite tactics and turning up late.
His football was turgid and boring most of the time and he just wanted more money to spend in which was more important than the club's financial state to him.

How any facker could want that cretin back here is beyond belief and if you do then you're a gus supporter not a brighton supporter...FACT:censored:

Really sorry to ask but I just need this cleared up and confirmed; so you're not a fan of Gus then?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Whoever said there are five 'Gus' threads a day in here isn't far wrong.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I Facking hate poyet and never liked him here as he's an egotistical **** who did nothing but disrespect our club,yes our club and Facked up our chances against palace with his shite tactics and turning up late.
His football was turgid and boring most of the time and he just wanted more money to spend in which was more important than the club's financial state to him.

How any facker could want that cretin back here is beyond belief and if you do then you're a gus supporter not a brighton supporter...FACT:censored:

Poyet "did nothing but disrespect our club"? I can remember him doing a few other things. And this business of the Palace play-off second leg: at least you're not among those who claim that he tried to lose. But his allegedly "shite tactics" included sending on a substitute at 0-0 whose goalbound shot was luckily deflected onto the bar by Julian Speroni and who had a header cleared off the line. That substitute, by the way, was Ashley Barnes, a player he believed in when pretty well every football expert on NSC (including me) was busy writing him off as not good enough for our great club. Five goals in the Premier League (better than all our current superstars except Lewis Dunk have managed one division lower) rather suggests that Gus was right and we were wrong.

But I don't know why I'm bothering to write this. Opinions on Poyet are entrenched and unchangeable.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham

In all my years of following football, I can't remember ever despising anyone quite as much. I'd rather shop in Sainsburys on a Saturday afternoon, than watch that tippy tappy one dimensional tedium. Still, another great result today for our glorious ex fuhrer and another match winning , goal scoring performance from little Liam. Has he scored for Sunderland yet? The goal that he got earlier in the season for Southampton doesn't count.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What I loved about Poyet was that when we went a goal down at least you knew there was no point getting any hopes up about winning.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I met gus quite a few times.

Every time I met him I liked him a little bit less.

It was all about gus.

The only person that is similar to Gus I can think of is
perez Hilton.

No joke.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Can't believe the stick Poyet is getting on here. Division 1 relegation candidates to 4th in the championship in a few years playing the game in a continental fashion, not route 1 that some people on here wish for, maybe19,70's style football. The club has moved on onwards and upwards since he left ? or maybe not.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...ews/bradford-2-0-sunderland-gus-poyet-8651134

"The thing with Gus is that its ALL about Gus" as a club insider told me while he was here... think this is borne out by current events... really glad such a character isn't at the helm anymore...

There was no way that the club could have kept two egotists that's for sure. Can't help but think we kept the wrong one though. I would have been far happier waving bye bye to Barber and keeping gus.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Thought he was bigger than the club,constantly showed flashes of his knickers to other clubs,but,BUT would love to have seen what might have been if Barber didn't get the CEO gig.

I think it would have been incredibly successful. It was such a great fit, then along came Mr Barber and the rest is history. Such a shame

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Disagree completely with people who think he would have got us promoted if he stayed. Our squad has only got worse since he left and that is down to Burke's ineptitude. Even last season under Oscar (who I think is a better manager than Gus btw) we were bailed out by the goals of Ulloa.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
He was a character- every game we played with him in charge was full of anticipation and belief. Unlike now!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Poyet was a good manager initially but you can't deny he had the benefit of a new stadium actually being built where as previous managers took the job based on an ongoing planning applications. He had a new chairman that was funding the promotion push more than Dick Knight had ever been able to and more than any Chairman had probably since Bamber. I don't like his ego but all that is acceptable if he is managing the team well. As someone else mentioned, it was a love affair, unfortunately Poyet kept bleating on about his next conquest all the time he was with us. Now I appreciate that we will always be a stepping stone but you don't need it rammed down your throat at every press conference! There were many rumours circulating that he was going to leave long before we got to the play-offs and irrespective of whether we got promoted or not. That seemed to be substantiated by the alleged phone call with TB on the eve of the St Patrick's day game against Palace.

He could be a very good manage but he lacks class and he certainly hasn't earned the right to act the way the likes of Ferguson, Mourinho et al do.

As for achievements, let's not forget a previous manager who worked under a series of chairman who got progressively worse but still achieved more than Poyet by getting promoted and actually getting to the Play-off final.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Agreed. Fantastic manager, gave us an identity. Would have him back in a heartbeat.

And he'd break your heart all over again, maybe this year, maybe next. Once a tart.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports