Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glad we're shot of Gus now??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hey you, enough of your pesky FACTS. Don't you know Gus was wearing his Leeds shirt under his brighton puffer jacket??

Hah, quite possibly.

But then with the results he was getting, he could've been wearing a lacy pink silk camisole with crotchless knickers under his puffer jacket for all I cared.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Results from February (which we started in 8th): LWDWWWDLLWDDDWDWWW

Results that propelled us up to 4th, and within a crossbar and a clearance off the line of a Playoff final.

Yeah, that really COST us the playoffs, keeping him after February :facepalm:
DL or did you forget the last two games of that season?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The playoffs are a lottery. Watford were, by far, the best team out of the four, but failed.
Last season Derby were, by far, the best team out of the four, but failed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I firmly believe that had he stayed we'd have been promoted last season - the momentum was all there, we just needed to take that one last step.

this view overlooks that the momentum was there in his last season and he pulled up at the penultimate fence. he was leaving, he didnt care anymore, and it showed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He's not really pulled up any trees in the Premier League.

I'm not convinced he could have taken us any further than he actually did, or if his own personal 'ceiling' was in reality that stratospheric.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The facts are....he was in talks with Reading. They were so convinced they were going to land him, they held a meeting and staff and players were told that he was going to be the next manager. Gus returned to BHA and made the board aware of the offer on the table. Reading got wind of his antics and pulled the plug on the deal.
(Source....reputable contact within Reading FC )

Weren't the talks after BHA had given permission for Reading to contact him? Hardly clandestine. I have no problem with a manager talking to another club when permission has been given but what irked more was the constant references to one day wanting to manage Leeds or any other club.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
this view overlooks that the momentum was there in his last season and he pulled up at the penultimate fence. he was leaving, he didnt care anymore, and it showed.

When he became aware that cash was not available to provide him with the players he required as an ambitious man he moved on,nothing wrong with that

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I might have missed this elsewhere on here, but didn't see an obvious thread.

http://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2015/february/an-open-letter-from-gus-poyet

Gus Poyet has today asked the club to release a letter to supporters.

Read the head coach’s own words as he directly addresses the fans:

For the first time in my life I think is time for me to write this letter to you, the fans.

When I had the opportunity to become the head coach of Sunderland AFC, I just closed my eyes and remember me sitting at the away dressing room at the Stadium of Light at half time, 4-0 down, Sunderland 4 Chelsea 0, incredible atmosphere, one of the best I ever felt, so the decision was easy, yes I would love the possibility of coaching Sunderland with those fans. Luckily I got the job.

I was brought into the club to stay in the Premier League first and most, then get stability and then progress with an identity in our game.

The first goal was the most difficult task of my life but we not only stayed up in a miraculous way, we went to Wembley for the first time in years, plus successful games against our biggest rivals and enjoyed some incredible victories away from home. What we achieved last year was achieved by all of us together: club (chairman, directors, staff and players) and fans, nobody and I mean nobody from outside helped us a bit, it was only us together.

Then my second aim was to achieve stability, progression and then slowly start bringing a special way of playing football to make you very proud of our team. This takes time, but even if the aim is clear during the process, we need to keep competing and winning games somehow.

During my career as a player, coach or manager, I have always had a fantastic relationship with the fans, from my time in Uruguay going through every team in Europe, always the relationship was strong, one of mutual respect and understanding, I showed from inside or from outside the pitch, my commitment, passion and dedication in achieving what every club deserved.

Of course I went through good and bad times, successful and not so good ones, winning or losing finals, but I left every single club having a recognition from the fans for my honesty, passion and professional work.

So let's make sure that we don’t let anyone to break our relationship, I promise you that I care and want to win as much as you do and no one thinks more time every day about the team than I do, so I invite all of you to stay positive, to be strong, closer to each other and keep believing in what we started together last year, working harder to make it better this season.

To finish I would like to clarify once more: the main responsible of the results of our team is me, I always said it and I will always accept my responsibility.

I am really looking forward to see the Stadium of Light packed on Saturday, pushing the team to what could be a very important victory.

Thank you and regards to all

Gus Poyet

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I might have missed this elsewhere on here, but didn't see an obvious thread.

http://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2015/february/an-open-letter-from-gus-poyet

Gus Poyet has today asked the club to release a letter to supporters.

Read the head coach’s own words as he directly addresses the fans:

For the first time in my life I think is time for me to write this letter to you, the fans.

When I had the opportunity to become the head coach of Sunderland AFC, I just closed my eyes and remember me sitting at the away dressing room at the Stadium of Light at half time, 4-0 down, Sunderland 4 Chelsea 0, incredible atmosphere, one of the best I ever felt, so the decision was easy, yes I would love the possibility of coaching Sunderland with those fans. Luckily I got the job.

I was brought into the club to stay in the Premier League first and most, then get stability and then progress with an identity in our game.

The first goal was the most difficult task of my life but we not only stayed up in a miraculous way, we went to Wembley for the first time in years, plus successful games against our biggest rivals and enjoyed some incredible victories away from home. What we achieved last year was achieved by all of us together: club (chairman, directors, staff and players) and fans, nobody and I mean nobody from outside helped us a bit, it was only us together.

Then my second aim was to achieve stability, progression and then slowly start bringing a special way of playing football to make you very proud of our team. This takes time, but even if the aim is clear during the process, we need to keep competing and winning games somehow.

During my career as a player, coach or manager, I have always had a fantastic relationship with the fans, from my time in Uruguay going through every team in Europe, always the relationship was strong, one of mutual respect and understanding, I showed from inside or from outside the pitch, my commitment, passion and dedication in achieving what every club deserved.

Of course I went through good and bad times, successful and not so good ones, winning or losing finals, but I left every single club having a recognition from the fans for my honesty, passion and professional work.

So let's make sure that we don’t let anyone to break our relationship, I promise you that I care and want to win as much as you do and no one thinks more time every day about the team than I do, so I invite all of you to stay positive, to be strong, closer to each other and keep believing in what we started together last year, working harder to make it better this season.

To finish I would like to clarify once more: the main responsible of the results of our team is me, I always said it and I will always accept my responsibility.

I am really looking forward to see the Stadium of Light packed on Saturday, pushing the team to what could be a very important victory.

Thank you and regards to all

Gus Poyet
desperate stuff

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lose against West Brom, and it looks tricky for him.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I nearly chocked on my cornflakes when I read this part of his letter

Yer right, just like the last 3 months you were with us. You showed real commitment, passion and dedication my arse. :facepalm:

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton

During my career as a player, coach or manager, I have always had a fantastic relationship with the fans, from my time in Uruguay going through every team in Europe, always the relationship was strong, one of mutual respect and understanding, I showed from inside or from outside the pitch, my commitment, passion and dedication in achieving what every club deserved.o

Yer right, just like the last 3 months you were with us. You showed real commitment, passion and dedication my arse. :facepalm:

I think he was the next big thing, think in his head he would be barca boss by now

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's not right to consider his 42 months with us, and only judge him on the last three. He took us from a relegation place in League 1 to 4th in the Championship, breaking records on the way.
Yes, it ended in tears, but so do most managerial appointments.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Do you mean the same last 3 months when we were by far the best team in the league on points taken ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Here are the last 3 months of that season

30 09.02.2013 Hull City home W1-0 7 45
31 12.02.2013 Blackburn Rovers home D1-1 7 46
32 19.02.2013 Cardiff City away W2-0 7 49
33 23.02.2013 Burnley home W1-0 6 52
34 02.03.2013 Huddersfield Town home W4-1 6 55
35 05.03.2013 Bristol City away D0-0 6 56
36 09.03.2013 Bolton Wanderers away L0-1 7 56
37 12.03.2013 Barnsley away L1-2 7 56
38 17.03.2013 Crystal Palace home W3-0 7 59
39 30.03.2013 Nottingham Forest away D2-2 6 60
40 02.04.2013 Charlton Athletic home D0-0 6 61
41 06.04.2013 Leicester City home D1-1 6 62
42 13.04.2013 Middlesbrough away W2-0 5 65
43 16.04.2013 Peterborough United away D0-0 4 66
44 20.04.2013 Blackpool home W6-1 4 69
45 27.04.2013 Leeds United away W2-1 4 72
46 04.05.2013 Wolverhampton Wndrs home W2-0 4 75

Played 17 won 9 drawn 6 lost 2 for 28 against 10 points 33

A terrible lack of commitment, best form in the league for that period

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Here are the last 3 months of that season

30 09.02.2013 Hull City home W1-0 7 45
31 12.02.2013 Blackburn Rovers home D1-1 7 46
32 19.02.2013 Cardiff City away W2-0 7 49
33 23.02.2013 Burnley home W1-0 6 52
34 02.03.2013 Huddersfield Town home W4-1 6 55
35 05.03.2013 Bristol City away D0-0 6 56
36 09.03.2013 Bolton Wanderers away L0-1 7 56
37 12.03.2013 Barnsley away L1-2 7 56
38 17.03.2013 Crystal Palace home W3-0 7 59
39 30.03.2013 Nottingham Forest away D2-2 6 60
40 02.04.2013 Charlton Athletic home D0-0 6 61
41 06.04.2013 Leicester City home D1-1 6 62
42 13.04.2013 Middlesbrough away W2-0 5 65
43 16.04.2013 Peterborough United away D0-0 4 66
44 20.04.2013 Blackpool home W6-1 4 69
45 27.04.2013 Leeds United away W2-1 4 72
46 04.05.2013 Wolverhampton Wndrs home W2-0 4 75

Played 17 won 9 drawn 6 lost 2 for 28 against 10 points 33

A terrible lack of commitment, best form in the league for that period

Yes the results were good but anyone who thinks he was totally committed to the cause during the last 3 months needs to think again. This was a period when he was talking to Reading about a new job, telling TB he wanted out, turning up late for the most important match in the clubs history and staying on the bench sitting on his hands, refusing to talk about the retained list saying he didn't think he would be here and generally turning into an ace sulk when he deemed to attend the press conferences instead of sending Charlie Oatway out.

Yes thank you for the results Gus but dont tell us that you are always fully committed to the cause when you patently weren't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here