[Football] Giving up my season ticket.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
After 28 years, I'm finally giving up my season ticket next season. Not felt the same, the last 2 years.
Not sure if it's covid or our sanitised support since promotion. I'm currently enjoying watching non league footie and getting so much more enjoyment than the amex.

Just wondering is it just me? Is the the premier league that ?

8 of us have season tickets and 5 of us feel the same. Is the shift changing to a few pints at your local footie club?

You're not alone. I will always be an Albion fan having been a ST holder for 35 years but gave it up finally last year and have gone back to the non-league game.

This is far more enjoyable, far less expensive, and far more satisfying supporting my 'true' local side that is Shoreham. We are 6th in the table and have a good game v Worthing coming up just after Christmas. I dislike the whole corporate thing now with the Premier League, and even though I am proud that the Albion finally made it four years ago, the constant agro of just getting to the ground these days, together with the introduction of VAR ruining the 'live' experience for me, finally made me move back to the non league scene.

The other advantage is that most of the games are played on a Saturday and I can walk home via the pub. I really think more people should follow their real local sides as there is plenty of enjoyment to be had, and it is a far less stressful experience.

Last edited:

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
You're not alone. I will always be an Albion fan having been a ST holder for 35 years but gave it up finally last year and have gone back to the non-league game.

This is far more enjoyable, far less expensive, and far more satisfying supporting my 'true' local side that is Shoreham. We are 6th in the table and have a good game v Worthing coming up just after Christmas. I dislike the whole corporate thing now with the Premier League, and even though I am proud that the Albion finally made it four years ago, the constant agro of just getting to the ground these days, together with the introduction of VAR ruining the 'live' experience for me, finally made me move back to the non league scene.

The other advantage is that most of the games are played on a Saturday and I can walk home via the pub. I really think more people should follow their real local sides as there is plenty of enjoyment to be had, and it is a far less stressful experience.

We probably know each other. I'm a regular at middle road and good friends with the chairman. Totally agree with what your saying!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
A really interesting thread as many of the comments reflect my own thinking. I thought long and hard about renewing this year and only the effectively subsidised cost from last season persuaded me to. Both my boys who used to share my second ticket have moved away, I miss the pre match chat over a beer and a pie with them more than anything. Parking is now a pain, entry to the stadium is a pain, VAR is a pain and overlay the Covid stuff it all becomes a bit too much. In previous years I might have justified it by saying I wouldn't get to see a game at all but these days I'm happy I could get a ticket whenever I wanted. Meantime I can walk to Burgess Hill Town for a football fix.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gave ST up years ago, love the freedom and choice of non league. Happy to pop along every so often to the Amex post pandemic but rather my cash went to the non league world.

As someone I went with to many games in the past, this is a very sad post. But of course barber and the current crew couldn’t give a toss about the established ( old) fans, it’s all about new fans and encouraging them to join/spend/eat the sweets and pies/ sit and clap. There is nothing wrong with that I know,

Personally most people on here know I haven’t enjoyed watching the albion since we got into the premier. For me there is precious little “ jump out your seat” moments. Yes it very clever to see decent players passing the ball along the back line for long periods of the game and then into midfield, just to see it come back to the keeper again.

To be honest I only go now to see mates, but even now, I am seeing people not going anymore or picking and choosing games and to be honest, that sounds like a decent idea. Timings of games are one of the reasons that it’s rubbish at the moment. I a a Saturday at 3 o’clock dinosaur really.

So for these reasons, I think at the end of the season I am out!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Instant gratification :lolol:

Patronising ****.

Gratification once every three months would be a nice start.

Hang on a minute. There is a large vocal group who think that getting a draw against teams is actually a bloody good result as “ we played fantastic football”

Sigh

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I assumed because you have to attend 25 % of matches. Same applies to us. Recent events make our season tickets an unjustifiable cost at present as we won’t be able to get to Brighton for quite some time.

Ah right. I suppose that could make a lot of people minds up who are wavering about giving up ST

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There is definitely a sense of entitlement though. Most of you lot moaning sat at the Withdean getting piss wet, watching crap Micky Adams Mk2 football and stuck with it. Now we are in the PL and Tony has pumped in £400M+ people expect more - which is fair enough. But it is a sense of entitlement.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is definitely a sense of entitlement though. Most of you lot moaning sat at the Withdean getting piss wet, watching crap Micky Adams Mk2 football and stuck with it. Now we are in the PL and Tony has pumped in £400M+ people expect more - which is fair enough. But it is a sense of entitlement.

So you think we are entitled to see a win? Or be entertained, or excited by our football?

Ok then

BTW I a had a ball at withdean, and gillingham and the goldstone, with all the issues we had. We were a community club and all felt part of the club. Now this is a corporate team with customers rather than fans ( c/o Mr Barber)

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Must admit, we have been thinking about giving ours up too. Been ST holders for 20 years.

- Fed up with the change of KO times
- Fed up with the growing costs
- Fed up with the over politicisation of the sport.
- Fed up with the clubs inability to sign a goal scorer.
- Fed up with having to leave ridiculously early to secure a spot at Mill Road
- Fed up with VAR

It's becoming boring, I'm quickly losing interest.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE

Entitlement !

That's Bull****

It's my money and my time.

If it's not doing it for me i reserve the right to spend both elsewhere.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So you think we are entitled to see a win? Or be entertained, or excited by our football?

Ok then

BTW I a had a ball at withdean, and gillingham and the goldstone, with all the issues we had. We were a community club and all felt part of the club. Now this is a corporate team with customers rather than fans ( c/o Mr Barber)

I do think there is a level of entitlement. My Season ticket now is only about 15% more than I had at Withdean (unless I am massively mis-remembering). But I go to football to support the team, I accept sometimes we will win, sometimes we will lose. This was the same at the Goldstone (to young to really remember), Gillingham (rarely went) & Withdean. I certainly find this season more enjoyable than the Championship under Mcghee

Bit sad to use it as a dig at Barber, ultimately it is Tony Bloom that takes the hit. But maybe you don't care about that either

Last edited:

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Agree with this. I was discussing this last night actually. It's completely lost the feel we used to have at Withdean.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Must admit, we have been thinking about giving ours up too. Been ST holders for 20 years.

- Fed up with the change of KO times
- Fed up with the growing costs
- Fed up with the over politicisation of the sport.
- Fed up with the clubs inability to sign a goal scorer.
- Fed up with having to leave ridiculously early to secure a spot at Mill Road
- Fed up with VAR

It's becoming boring, I'm quickly losing interest.

This is pretty much spot on for me also.

I'd add in the attractive alternative of going to non-league football, which has non of the above negatives.
Non-league football is also far better for your mental health with more people conversing and laughing.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and will not be renewing next year.

Since the Club stopped selling the car parking season tickets it's been increasingly hard to get parking sorted nearby and it makes me going to games into a full-day event instead of something which I could work around things in the morning and afternoon. Admittedly, that's because I live in Hampshire, but that's my choice I guess and finally, I have started to value my time a little more!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I think some of the very regular no-shows including me (must be countless thousands of us going by the glaring gaps at every single game), are wondering whether Barber will issue an ultimatum at the next renewal?

you may have seen a previous post I made about my reasons for not having been since 1st covid outbreak.

as advised I emailed Mr B asking if given sound and genuine reasons were the club still looking to implement the if you don’t attend the 25% home games level the club can cancel your season ticket rule.

he took the time to reply, virtually dismissed all the concerns of people not wearing masks on buses and trains, many ignoring them in the concourse by saying that they are mandatory, and in the end I felt the ultimatum was take your chances with covid infection or risk losing your ticket. He still says many 1000’s still on waiting lists…

we’ll time will tell if he’s right or not, and i guess if there’s not he will be gracious and kindly allow us to stay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports