Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giving up my season ticket.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hanging on by a thread. Will renew next season as either will have survived or be in Championship in which case my 35/1 bet last week will comfortable cover the cost. But if there is no sign of progress by May 23 I shall give it up.

Some posters are equating giving up season ticket with giving up Albion. Not necessarily so, you can still buy for odd games and root for team on the others. Like many, I have a a long (6 hour) round trip to home games; cant do Sundays, rarely do midweek, so my STH is only paying for 50% games and being able to get away tickets (and having been to Liverpool, WHU and Saints recently, gotta say that is sight more enjoyable than the turgid shite at Amex); need to see some sign of the mystical top 10 club appearing to continue for long.

The crafty thing is, don’t we have to make our minds up for 2022/23 by approx Feb 2022?

After 28 years, I'm finally giving up my season ticket next season. Not felt the same, the last 2 years.
Not sure if it's covid or our sanitised support since promotion. I'm currently enjoying watching non league footie and getting so much more enjoyment than the amex.

Just wondering is it just me? Is the the premier league that ?

8 of us have season tickets and 5 of us feel the same. Is the shift changing to a few pints at your local footie club?

Cheers and all the best.

JESUS WEPT.

OOOO look at me. I appreciate that it's been a very frustrating season at times, but is it really that bad?!

COVID19 has made it a season of MEH and lack of striker for me. It'll be ok soon.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It's very easy to cherry pick which games you wish to go to.
I can't think of a game for several seasons where with a tiny bit of planning you couldn't get a ticket.

There is also a financial tsunami coming in 2022 with increased utility bills, increased national insurance contributions and increasing inflation.
The pressure to reduce outgoings will mean many people review their leisure costs.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think Relegation could give us a good kick up the arse as where we are as a club and where to improve, I think the club need to engage with the regular away support as much as the home support to really find out what’s wrong at the Amex, where it can improve and what’s making people feel like this, because this isn’t the first I’ve heard of this, this year and it won’t be the last.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think Relegation could give us a good kick up the arse as where we are as a club and where to improve, I think the club need to engage with the regular away support as much as the home support to really find out what’s wrong at the Amex, where it can improve and what’s making people feel like this, because this isn’t the first I’ve heard of this, this year and it won’t be the last.

Not a bad idea.

The support at Stains and West Ham looked great.

Compare and contrast to the meek NS at home games, it’s died a slow death.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
It's very easy to cherry pick which games you wish to go to.
I can't think of a game for several seasons where with a tiny bit of planning you couldn't get a ticket.

There is also a financial tsunami coming in 2022 with increased utility bills, increased national insurance contributions and increasing inflation.
The pressure to reduce outgoings will mean many people review their leisure costs.
Leisure costs always go 1st in times of hardship

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ok, I'll fess up. I've not been at all this season as a season ticket holder. The reasons are my own (which I'm not going to explain), but they are very good reasons which most would understand.

I do have empathy with those pissed off though but possibly for different reasons. Those of us working for huge international companies will have experienced the point where the usually outward "marketing message" is directed towards the staff.

You know what I mean. Those trying to sell whatever products you sell to clients are using the same language to describe the new toilets or the appraisal system upgrade that everyone knows is rubbish but are scared to call out.

It's that weird experience of being treated like a "customer" but at the end of the day you are an "employee" and it's a form of control.

I think what I'm trying to say is that visiting the Amex (or my overall relationship with the club) often feels like going to work and it shouldn't be like that. Nothing to do with pandemic, I've never visited under such circumstances.

I routinely delete any communication from the club, very rarely visit the website and to be honest haven't missed the Amex, although miss my friends there especially at Haywards Heath.

It is something the club needs to address and I've felt like that for a long time. I'm not one that lives in the past, but there is clearly missing for those who have experienced it but support the club in the present.

The usual reaction is "but would you change ?" but I frankly have no idea. Living in London it's always been a commitment both time wise and financially to visit the stadium, but I was routinely far more up for the Withdean than the current place. Nothing to do with lower league football, I could walk to AFC Wimbledon if I wanted that.

Not a knee jerk reaction to tonight's result, just me being reflective and I've got far more important things to concern myself with than football.

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
After 28 years, I'm finally giving up my season ticket next season. Not felt the same, the last 2 years.
Not sure if it's covid or our sanitised support since promotion. I'm currently enjoying watching non league footie and getting so much more enjoyment than the amex.

8 of us have season tickets and 5 of us feel the same. Is the shift changing to a few pints at your local footie club?

I suspect it is because you go to the albion to see goals and enjoy the winning feeling. You can't get that anymore with the albion. I suspect many will follow.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Could white dog shit make a comeback? It would require the manufacturers of the 1970s blend Pedigree Chum, Chappy and Happy Shopper Dog Chow to pull their fingers out I guess.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Not sure many of us have felt the same for the last 2 years. The structure of the season has been completely destroyed due to covid restrictions, endless international breaks and constant dicking around with the kick-off times. I mean, 8pm on Boxing Day? Really?? It just seems purely functional now. Go to Amex, watch match, go home. It used to be fun hanging around the concourse after games, doing the post-match post-mortem with mates, necking more pints and pies than is healthy. Covid's killed all that stone dead. Just want to get out of there as soon as possible now. Hopefully we'll get the old normal back sometime soon, because the new normal really sucks

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To quote Barber today in the Athletic "Unfortunately we live in a world where instant gratification demands for instant success or winning every game"

So it's your fault, not the clubs

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of Barber's but that's bollocks. I used to moan about fans' expectations, but that was with my 'old school' head on. In the old days football wasn't that expensive nor such a formal, regulated entertainment. It was POTG, and you could pay the admission with the coins in your pocket. Now the tickets alone are a large chunk out of your budget - even more if you've got to buy them for your dependents. And why do Brighton fans go to football? It's not to sit in a comfy seat, or even to see the likes of Ronaldo - it's mainly to see Brighton win.

It's a double-edged sword for the clubs. It's not about 'instant gratification', if they're going to charge sky-high prices to their 'customers' they have got to have a product that justifies the expense. (And I haven't even mentioned the sanitised 'tennis match' environment)

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Speaking to fans of other teams (and as a Claret) I get the loss of eagerness about your team being in the Prem and note it as something often whispered. The first couple of seasons are great but then it boils down to avoiding being hammered by any of the top 6 and scrapping for draws with larger and more established clubs. If any of your players start to shine expect a mid table teams to flash their vastly bigger resources and turn the player's head.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Interesting thread :thumbsup: Not read all of it yet but there is a definite trend of "Kick Off Times" "EPL Status" "Lack of recent goals" Etc etc.

I had 2 season tickets which i gave up after the second season at The Amex, Main reasons were My Location (South Wales) the cost of each game for me and the wife (yes we did make it more expensive by staying in a hotel in Three Bridges, but we did make a weekend of it) And due to work it was impossible for me to attend evening games, All in all just not a viable proposition for us Obviously not the clubs fault where we lived etc.

Apart from some personal issues which have distracted me a bit away from football, In my opinion, the cost is ridiculous nowadays, I can fully understand people enjoying local amature football again (I do and go and watch when i can) I think with the cost etc it is not unreasonable for fans to expect at least SOME wins! I saw most of last nights game on telly and i was not impressed with the way we played at all.

As i say, Interesting thread :thumbsup:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Our home win % over the 5 seasons must be shocking, not to mention the amount of games with a lack of goals.

Thank you for this, given me the perfect excuse to not do any work this morning.

I nabbed the results for all of our completed PL seasons and, if my numbers are accurate, our home win percentage since promotion to the end of last season is 26.32%

57 home games.
15 home wins.

I've not done the home goals yet but I will be.

EDIT:

As was rightly pointed out I missed a whole season! Updated numbers below:

76 home games
22 home wins
28.95% win percentage

Interestingly our first two seasons had the higher proportion of home wins at 7 & 6 respectively. The two following seasons were 5 & 4.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Thank you for this, given me the perfect excuse to not do any work this morning.

I nabbed the results for all of our completed PL seasons and, if my numbers are accurate, our home win percentage since promotion to the end of last season is 26.32%

57 home games.
15 home wins.

I've not done the home goals yet but I will be.

With 19 home games a season and this being our 5th that seems a bit low to me.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Covid can take some of the blame but ridiculous kick off times and not being able to simply share tickets with anyone are IMO the main factors why most inc me are getting fed up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here