Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Give Me A Song That...

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Obrigado Razzoo. Well let me see, perhaps a slightly macabre one, given that Halloween and Day of the Dead are upon us. Give me a song that you would like played at your funeral/memorial service/f*** off party. It can be as flippant, sincere, or irreverent as you want of course. This might find its way onto the playlist at mine...

...but I don't want to give the impression that I wouldn't be moved by something sad. Also apologies if anyone finds this category a bit tasteless or triggering: it's not my intention to offend.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
There are actually 2 songs, both by XTC or members thereof, that I would have played at my wake.

I'm a single dad; the kids have no mother. I want to leave them with upbeat, uplifting music and thoughts.

Scatter Me is a cheeky, optimistic song by a man telling his family what to do and feel once he's gone. Here are the LYRICS.

I'm also an atheist, so I identify with the whole Mother Nature, circle-of-life philosophy of "Nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed", and living on fondly in the memories of those we leave behind. Greenman is a wonderfully pagan, joyous song. The last 2 minutes are absolutely gorgeous, and the orchestral fade-out... *chef's kiss*. All 4 children, when they were little, absolutely *loved* singing and dancing to this song. It's still one of their favourites; and I hope they hold onto these words when I'm gone:

And you know for a million years he has been your father
He'll be a million more
And you know for a million years he has been your father
Run to his arms at the door

Lay your head, lay your head, lay your head, lay your head on the Greenman
Lay your head, lay your head with mine

Here are the LYRICS.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Shadows are fallin' and I'm runnin' out of breath
Keep me in your heart for a while
If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less
When you get up in the mornin' and you see that crazy sun
There's a train leavin' nightly called "When All is Said and Done"
Sometimes when you're doin' simple things around the house
Maybe you'll think of me and smile
You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on your blouse
Hold me in your thoughts
Take me to your dreams
Touch me as I fall into view
When the winter comes
Keep the fires lit
And I will be right next to you
Engine driver's headed north up to Pleasant Stream
These wheels keep turnin' but they're runnin' out of steam

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have been having this conversation for years with some close mates, a couple of whom have now sadly had their choice. For me

Going in

Half time.

Curtains closing

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Some lovely, varied choices so far. A couple have bent the "a song" bit, but I'll turn a blind eye seeing as we're talking about your last chance to grab the aux cord, as the kids say. I'll make my decision around teatime on Monday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Part of me feels that putting a little smile on the faces of the gathering would be nice

My Way by Sid Vicious.

But I also think that anyone invited to listen to this, getting past the first couple of minutes, then thinking 'oh, crikey! Now I get it' would feel that perhaps they did know me after all. Which would be nice. The artist is a collaboration between a singer and an electronic music artist, called Eta Ljubov. The track is called 'Air'.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I was moved by all the suggestions, but in the end I chose "Scatter Me" by TC&I, which I had never heard before. A really good song, as I would expect from Colin Moulding. So @Quebec Seagull it's over to you, and welcome to NSC by the way.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:bounce:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not a cheery one this. I always regard this as an elegy and Ray used it for Pete Quaife in this performance. Says it all for me and I tear up every time I see him break and recover in the first lines.

Thank you Stato.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:bounce:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Okay, whilst we wait for the reappearance of @Quebec Seagull here's a request to keep us (hopefully) amused. In honour of @1066familyman's bouncing of the thread, give me a bouncy song. The bounciest gig I ever went to was this lot. The whole crowd was just hopping up and down like joyful toddlers. This remains their killer (and bounicest) tune:

This is just a stopgap. I don't expect to have to award a winner. When Quebec gets back, the next question will be for him to ask.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ready made :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bouncy you say?

I bounced around to this in Sheffield after watching The Albion play Wednesday around 20 years ago. The great football/gig combo!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here