Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giroud?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As mentionded, his £110k a week would cost us about £1.5m for the rest of this season.

No.
Brainer.

And he'd be playing up top with a fellow frenchy. Whats not to like ?

Wouldn't the likes of Dunk with "highet salary" clauses in thier contract then insist they are all remunerated equivalently?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is that a fact, players at the Albion actually have highest salary clauses?

I have no idea, as indeed do I imagine anyone does, but it doesn't stop people on here and elsewhere declaring it's the case, alongside salary rates, contract negotiations etc.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I thought it was well established, especially on here, that BHA had a 'no Billy Big B0ll0x' strategy, the biggest earners on about 50kish p.w.

Any major deviations from this cause the prima donna effect.

It's not FIFA 2020, it's REAL money.

Long may it last.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wouldn't the likes of Dunk with "highet salary" clauses in thier contract then insist they are all remunerated equivalently?
Didn't seem to be a problem when Wayne Bridge was earning way over what our highest earners were earning.

Is that a fact, players at the Albion actually have highest salary clauses?
Well, you'd hope not, but who knows in the crazy world of football finances and contracts?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's a complete no brainer. But as you say, even if we offer that he'll probably go to someone bigger/better than us anyhow.

Because it's ****ing Olivier Giroud.

The crusties on here would remember England and Spurs striker Bobby Smith signing for BHA in the mid-60s when we were still bobbing around in the noddy leagues, and he was still only in his early 30s. So it CAN be done

CIhLhb8GSv36m-j70DypYhiKkzy92fxDFYqUi5cv68qhWJKZ8dg9dWowFMtP3EMp1_k3zU8iB7BDiLrzWg0k-unbDyHw2GZp5BB8Clu9HLY0C4_5cLq7MaEDLzb8vxxxYw=s412

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The crusties on here would remember England and Spurs striker Bobby Smith signing for BHA in the mid-60s when we were still bobbing around in the noddy leagues, and he was still only in his early 30s. So it CAN be done.

Has Giroud got humungous gambling debts then?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I have no idea, as indeed do I imagine anyone does, but it doesn't stop people on here and elsewhere declaring it's the case, alongside salary rates, contract negotiations etc.

It would be madness if those were clauses were in the contracts, ii would stop progression stone dead in my view.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The crusties on here would remember England and Spurs striker Bobby Smith signing for BHA in the mid-60s when we were still bobbing around in the noddy leagues, and he was still only in his early 30s. So it CAN be done

CIhLhb8GSv36m-j70DypYhiKkzy92fxDFYqUi5cv68qhWJKZ8dg9dWowFMtP3EMp1_k3zU8iB7BDiLrzWg0k-unbDyHw2GZp5BB8Clu9HLY0C4_5cLq7MaEDLzb8vxxxYw=s412

Any high profile forwards out there with massive gambling debts we can (surreptitiously) settle on their behalf and avoid breaking the wage structure. Can I borrow your straws?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

No idea.

You'd assume that a short-term loan deal for the rest of the season with no transfer fee involved would circumnavigate that (if indeed Dunk or anyone else has that clause). Giroud probably wouldn't stay beyond the end of the season, so no harm done on the existing wagebill.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wouldn't bother me if he did. Even if he owed a million, paying that on top of his £1.5m wages would still be a snip :)

Until he gets carried away down pier 9 again

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Funny thing is, in any transfer window there's always WAY more strikers available than there are PL striker places available. Would be a buyer's market in any other market. Instead it's sadly an agent's market. Best payer takes all.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
1.5 m in wGes
100k a goal
500k staying up bonus

All of it would constitute a bargain compared to relegation surely?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
1.5 m in wGes
100k a goal
500k staying up bonus

All of it would constitute a bargain compared to relegation surely?

Don't even JOKE about those stats. Could buy both Ashley Barnes AND Chris Wood for those. AND be guaranteed a decent haul of goals for the next five years. Tho expect they'd expect the PL going rate in wages. Which is undoubtedly massively more than when they both last played for us :facepalm:

To summarise: TB has to start paying the going PL wage rate for players, else accept the club moving down a level. At which point most of the current Twickers Twats will just fade away and the ST waiting list will return to pre-PL levels.

Just pay the going rate for PL wages FFS :rolleyes:

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ludicrous. He's a top, top, top class player. The only reason we're even getting close to a sniff is due to his age, but his wage demands would probably be at least double what we'd offer.

I'd be bloody delighted if we got Giroud.

Correct.

Giroud would be an utterly astonishing signing for us. So much so that I kinda don’t think we should waste time debating. This guy will have his pick of top clubs across Europe.

He would be the ultimate ‘younger Murray’ signing though.

Expect him at PSG, Inter possibly even Barca who are looking for striker backups.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here