Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gifton Noel-Williams (argus)

Edward Scissorhands

Feb 20, 2005
Albion face battle for Gifton

by Andy Naylor

ALBION transfer target Gifton Noel-Williams revealed today the Seagulls are one of his "main options" but admits their relegation from the Championship could cost them his signature.

Manager Mark McGhee wants to bring the striker back to Withdean on a permanent basis following his spell on loan from Burnley at the end of last season.

Burnley have transfer-listed Noel-Williams since then and the former Watford and Stoke target man, just back from holiday in Grenada, is currently weighing up his options.

"I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks so I don't know what has been happening while I've been away," he said. "I'm waiting to speak to my agent.

"I enjoyed my time down at Brighton and I liked the people and the whole set-up. As for signing on a full-time basis I don't really know.

"That is one of my main options right now. If they were in the Championship still it wouldn't even be an issue.

"Career wise, you want to play at the highest level possible for as long as possible, so I don't really want to go into the lower leagues.

"I would prefer to stay in the Championship. Whether that will be a deciding factor I don't know."

Albion's cause has been helped by events at two other clubs interested in Noel-Williams.

He could have been reunited with his former Stoke manager Tony Pulis at Plymouth but Pulis is poised to return to the Potteries now that Bet 365 owner and ex-chairman Peter Coates has bought the club back from its Icelandic owners.

Swansea, who are keen on Noel-Williams as well, missed out on promotion to the Championship in last month's League One play-off final against Barnsley.

Meanwhile, Stoke have been lined up for a pre-season friendly at Withdean. Albion are also in talks with Greek giants Panathinaikos to provide the opposition for Kerry Mayo's testimonial.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quote: Meanwhile, Stoke have been lined up for a pre-season friendly at Withdean. Albion are also in talks with Greek giants Panathinaikos to provide the opposition for Kerry Mayo's testimonial. Quote

So much for our special relationship with Arsenal, 6 years on no players from them except a 150k flop recommended by Brady, and now the rumoured match with them for kerry's testimonial not looking likely :rolleyes:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Icy Gull said:

So much for our special relationship with Arsenal, 6 years on no players from them except a 150k flop recommended by Brady, and now the rumoured match with them for kerry's testimonial not looking likely :rolleyes:

I was speaking to someone at the weekend who reckoned that Arsenal would only commit to the game if they won the champions league. Not sure why that makes a difference ???

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
80's Seagull said:
I was speaking to someone at the weekend who reckoned that Arsenal would only commit to the game if they won the champions league. Not sure why that makes a difference ???

Is it because Arsenal have to play a qualifying game before the main draw for the CL is made and would have been exempt if they'd won it?

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Icy Gull said:

Didn't Sidwell come through Brady?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Gwylan said:
Is it because Arsenal have to play a qualifying game before the main draw for the CL is made and would have been exempt if they'd won it?

That makes sense.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think the rules were changed after Liverpool played a couple of noddy teams last season.

Mind you, if Arsenal had to play a qualifier against a team from Albania or Bosnia or somewhere, you'd think that Withdean would be ideal preparation. :D

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mouldy Boots said:
Didn't Sidwell come through Brady?

Nope he was at Brentford with Coppell, so I'd suggest it was Coppell's previous association with him rather than Brady, who must be in the position to loan us a glut of players....if he could be arsed. Then again maybe he has absolutely no say in anything??

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Icy Gull said:
Nope he was at Brentford with Coppell, so I'd suggest it was Coppell's previous association with him rather than Brady, who must be in the position to loan us a glut of players....if he could be arsed. Then again maybe he has absolutely no say in anything??

If that's the case maybe Brady doesn't trust McGhee to introduce them to first team football with no team spirit and a inconsistent manager that always has an excuse up his sleeve.

;)

Seriously maybe Brady doesn't have enough clout to let them play for us.

:down:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Back to the main story... I have to say that we are evidently beggars, and not choosers, when it comes to acquiring strikers... so... I would be concerned if we can't land GNW, even if he has got dodgy knees... liked the idea of the return of Wayne Gray tho'...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
GNW could go one of two ways if he signs.

1. Scores a fair amount of goals and becomes a very good signing

2. He plays about 3 games due to injury and is the new Kitson/Dodd

Is it worth the risk?

Would the club be able to insure him?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If we can afford two strikers i would sign Noel-Williams, however if we can only afford one with his injury problems i would be a bit worried if we signed him

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:

Is it worth the risk?

My guess would be he is uninsurable... his knees are clearly fcuked...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
blockhseagull said:
If we can afford two strikers i would sign Noel-Williams, however if we can only afford one with his injury problems i would be a bit worried if we signed him

I agree with that... the club has said we are targetting 2 strikers, but I will believe it when I see it, based on their repeated cycle of claims that we will sign player X, then nothing coming to fruition... and they are trying to flog season tix this time of year... ;)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
B.W. said:
Back to the main story... I have to say that we are evidently beggars, and not choosers, when it comes to acquiring strikers... so... I would be concerned if we can't land GNW, even if he has got dodgy knees... liked the idea of the return of Wayne Gray tho'...

The article says that Swansea are intrested, in that case I would imagine he would play for them over us next season.

Wayne Gray on the other hand could well end up here.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
For me Gray and GNW if we can sign both would be ok, ideally we'd all love something better but lets face it we have to take what we can get and those two would add something to what we have.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Kinky Gerbils said:

Is it worth the risk?

Sensible points - not worth the risk.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
My real worry is that as other clubs are interested we do something stupid like offer him a three year contract in order to secure his services.

No disrespect to him but that would be too much of a risk to take with his injury problems

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
The article says that Swansea are intrested, in that case I would imagine he would play for them over us next season.

Wayne Gray on the other hand could well end up here.

Although we have the advantage that GNW played on loan here and liked the club, so... who knows?...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here