Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Getting a dog

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Is there a thread on here that people won't turn into abuse and mockery? Poster asks for recommendations on which Dog to get and where and people ignore that in favour of abusing each others opinions and generally acting like melts. NSC is losing a lot of its charm for me and I suspect many others by this unnecessary chipping and picking fights over less than nothing.

So true and I’m sure someone will find a way to bring politics into it soon!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
A Golden Retriever.

My sister and her family have one and they make an excellent pet. Very placid, enjoys walkies three times a day! and as dogs go they're among the cleanest. He was bought as a puppy and has grown into an enormous hound. Doesn't like posties/paperboys or visitors until they're known!

Small dogs are irritating and are known as being impatient (although that's often a much used stereotype).

Depends if you've got a lot of room for another addition to the family. :thumbsup:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
bjko6p7a6wh01.png

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
My advice: don’t bother. No one needs a mutated wolf in the house.

My brother’s got this thing and it’s bloody rubbish. Comes round my house, shedding hairs all over the place, and then tries to lick my face. :sick:

355D7700-CA0E-4BE1-AACC-CC7AB78123C4.jpeg

I bought it a dog treat the other day and he swallowed it in one gulp. Cost me a bloody quid. He could at least have nibbled it a bit to make it last.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I am allergic to dogs, anyone that knows me may not believe this as I love dogs and look after other people's dogs occasionally, I also work in many homes where the owner has dog(s)
I have my allergies under control now with drugs and I'm probably 90% better than when I was a child and up to a few years ago.

I went to work in a house approximately 20 years ago, the owner had a very nice dog and said it's a Labradoodle, this was all new to me and I hadn't heard of this type before.
The owner said a poodle is crossed with a Labrador so people with allergies can have a dog.
Five minutes later I was sneezing and wheezing, so I'm not sure that was true :rolleyes:

I don't really get what is wrong with a Poodle :shrug:
A Labrador is a lovely breed but they moult, it's crossed with a Poodle that doesn't shed hair as much.
So getting a Poodle would be better, what am I missing? :)

bd9adfe6a171d6343cd3782732cbff2e.jpg

His my little toy poodle.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
First time I ever had a staffie and can't think of a more sweet natured dog I've owned in the past , she was found tied to a tree starved and beaten , we took her on and it's just astounding how people could of done such a thing to a dog , 5 years down the line she's one of the family and has a good life , exercise is short and sweet twice a day , prefers a sunny spot and listening to the radio .

IMG-20200316-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20191207-WA0002.jpeg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
First time I ever had a staffie and can't think of a more sweet natured dog I've owned in the past , she was found tied to a tree starved and beaten , we took her on and it's just astounding how people could of done such a thing to a dog , 5 years down the line she's one of the family and has a good life , exercise is short and sweet twice a day , prefers a sunny spot and listening to the radio .

View attachment 124075

View attachment 124076

Lovely looking dog[emoji106]

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Why did poofy dogs become so popular anyway?

We won't have a dog unless we get two. One I am happy to be seen walking and one, no fukken chance.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Is there a thread on here that people won't turn into abuse and mockery? Poster asks for recommendations on which Dog to get and where and people ignore that in favour of abusing each others opinions and generally acting like melts. NSC is losing a lot of its charm for me and I suspect many others by this unnecessary chipping and picking fights over less than nothing.

NSC has always been home of the binfest. Long may that continue.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

View attachment 124075

View attachment 124076

You sir,are a good person.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
German Shorthaired Pointers for me. The racing snakes of the Gundog World, very intelligent, very loopy in equal amounts. Need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation.

Would only get a dog from an Accredited or well known breeder, too many kitchen breeders now, just trying to make some cash, with p*ss poor health checks on sires and dams.

Personally, I would avoid any of the 'designer' breeds. We used to have great fun at the Dog Training Club I used to be a trainer at, when someone would be very proud of their ridiculously expensive bundle of fluff, 'its a Cavapoochon!', 'you paid £2k for a mongrel then?'.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

View attachment 124075

View attachment 124076

I do like staffies, having walked a few for the RSPCA (obviously, and sadly, one of their most common breeds needing rehoming, along with the Lurcher From Ireland). I know they're Kennel Club approved to be around children and are generally great with humans but how was yours with other dogs?
When I walk other breeds they do often have an "issue" when they come across staffies and often I'm not sure who's the aggressor. I do like them but I'd like a dog that gets on with other dogs, as I'd mostly be walking in the local park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here