Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Getting a dog

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I’ve always had English Setters, simply because they’re very laid back, patient with small kids (first was shortly before family arrived), don’t suffer separation anxiety and need only one walk a day.

IMO there are no bad dogs, some are better suited to your personal circumstances than others.

Some rescue dogs can be challenging because their former owners were *****. It’s not the dog itself, it’s the way they were treated previously which has left them emotionally scarred.

Treated right every dog will greet you when you come home as if you’re the greatest person in the(ir) world which is uplifting no matter how shit a day you have had.

Being a dog owner has made me a better person, but I’ll never be as good as them.

3ed7e74aeb2d756206d2544d22fcac5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It'll rarely be left alone. My wife works at home full time excepting one trip out once a month to Las Bracknell. At the moment, I am also at home full time. With 2 kids who are schooling at home whilst both of our workloads have exponentially increased due to covid.

It's great. Not stressful at all (if I see one more Instagram post about people being blessed about the extra time with the kids and how they can bake cakes etc, I'm going to launch my tablet at the wall)

Opens your options up considerably then imo. If you are dog novices pick one that is more user friendly than dogs like Jack Russells, which are little shits and escape artists! Labrador would be my suggestion.

Don’t get a needy, inquisitive and persistent little fecker like this that thinks it’s massive!, love her to death but hard work!

0871F892-E559-4F8A-96C0-51090BD1DDE5.jpeg

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I’ve always had English Setters, simply because they’re very laid back, patient with small kids (first was shortly before family arrived), don’t suffer separation anxiety and need only one walk a day.

IMO there are no bad dogs, some are better suited to your personal circumstances than others.

Some rescue dogs can be challenging because their former owners were *****. It’s not the dog itself, it’s the way they were treated previously which has left them emotionally scarred.

Treated right every dog will greet you when you come home as if you’re the greatest person in the(ir) world which is uplifting no matter how shit a day you have had.

Being a dog owner has made me a better person, but I’ll never be as good as them.

He does look like a lovely dog.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you're Brighton based, walking the dogs at Patcham RSPCA, gives you the opportunity to 'try' lots of different dogs including some you may not have considered.

This is very true. We went to the RSPCA having looked at dogs on the website and were deciding between two of them. We got there and didn't feel that either was right for us but a dog in another cage attracted our attention. we took her for a walk and immediately knew she was our dog. We couldn't imagine life without her now

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Get a rescue dog. No need to buy a puppy or dog these days with thousands in rescue homes waiting for a loving family.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Cracking photo and a nice looking dog.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Another one who misread my post. I like mongrels and rescue dogs.

I didn’t miss anything you silly arse. I know that you are forwarding the cause of rescue dogs which is all good and fine.

But you have also had a little pop at those who would rather pay to get attributes that fit in with their lifestyle. You said the dogs have silly names, you use the term ‘under the guise’ as though it is questionable. You are just having a dig at those who think differently to you.

And attempting to look down your nose at them whilst appearing polite. You do it constantly.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Silly name - Really? Just a mix of the parents breed name. Over here known as a Cavoodle, but you also get Groodles (Golden Retriever) and Labradoodle. Note the breeding of Poodle with kid friendly breeds in an attempt to achieve dogs with a great attitude.

I'm not to sure about crossing a Shih Tzu and a Poodle though :lolol:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Is there a thread on here that people won't turn into abuse and mockery? Poster asks for recommendations on which Dog to get and where and people ignore that in favour of abusing each others opinions and generally acting like melts. NSC is losing a lot of its charm for me and I suspect many others by this unnecessary chipping and picking fights over less than nothing.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Jacks are not an easy breed to have. Because they don’t settle much. Ours can run for 10 miles quite easily and then still fail to relax after going out. They are though really loving and generally good fun to have around the place.

Attachments

• B3821284-F118-44F9-97EB-FBB17CF6A3D9.jpeg
    B3821284-F118-44F9-97EB-FBB17CF6A3D9.jpeg
    785.2 KB · Views: 134

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The guise of allergies - Whilst it cannot be guaranteed yet, these dogs do shed less hair than other dogs. This can be an advantage if one person in the family is unknowingly allergic. It also means the house remaining hair free (dependant on individual dog) which has other benefits.

Silly name - Really? Just a mix of the parents breed name. Over here known as a Cavoodle, but you also get Groodles (Golden Retriever) and Labradoodle. Note the breeding of Poodle with kid friendly breeds in an attempt to achieve dogs with a great attitude.

I am allergic to dogs, anyone that knows me may not believe this as I love dogs and look after other people's dogs occasionally, I also work in many homes where the owner has dog(s)
I have my allergies under control now with drugs and I'm probably 90% better than when I was a child and up to a few years ago.

I went to work in a house approximately 20 years ago, the owner had a very nice dog and said it's a Labradoodle, this was all new to me and I hadn't heard of this type before.
The owner said a poodle is crossed with a Labrador so people with allergies can have a dog.
Five minutes later I was sneezing and wheezing, so I'm not sure that was true :rolleyes:

I don't really get what is wrong with a Poodle :shrug:
A Labrador is a lovely breed but they moult, it's crossed with a Poodle that doesn't shed hair as much.
So getting a Poodle would be better, what am I missing? :)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Surprisingly enough the larger dogs don't like too much exercise and eat less than your average dog.
An English Mastiff may get to 15st, but only has one meal a day and won't walk too far, that said it is very protective of it's owner and family members.
We have an Australian Staghound, looks as scary as f*** but is just aggressively friendly.

He is looks just like this, but is a yellowy white in colour and the size of a Shetland pony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ5d2byHUxQ

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am allergic to dogs, anyone that knows me may not believe this as I love dogs and look after other people's dogs occasionally, I also work in many homes where the owner has dog(s)
I have my allergies under control now with drugs and I'm probably 90% better than when I was a child and up to a few years ago.

I went to work in a house approximately 20 years ago, the owner had a very nice dog and said it's a Labradoodle, this was all new to me and I hadn't heard of this type before.
The owner said a poodle is crossed with a Labrador so people with allergies can have a dog.
Five minutes later I was sneezing and wheezing, so I'm not sure that was true :rolleyes:

I don't really get what is wrong with a Poodle :shrug:
A Labrador is a lovely breed but they moult, it's crossed with a Poodle that doesn't shed hair as much.
So getting a Poodle would be better, what am I missing? :)

I do not think you are missing anything at all. By not having dog hair laying all around the house any allergic reaction can minimised/lessened. It does not mean that you will not get a reaction if you are strongly allergic. Let’s be honest, there are levels of allergy. I house sat for two Golden Retrievers for three weeks, beautiful dogs but long hair everywhere in the house. I did another house sit for a cross breed with short hair. It was like having a million little black needles around the house. I was constantly using anti hystamines the whole time.

I now have a Cavoodle permanently, no drugs required.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
We’ve had three labs over the past 15 years or so and I’d recommend them to anyone although they may not pass your unhairy test. All dogs are lovely but labs are so loyal, loving, good tempered, lazy, greedy etc etc - my sister always has rescue German Shepherds and they’d always be her first choice but it will always be labs for me. It was pestering from other family members that led to our first and I’ve never regretted it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here