Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting a dog - advice please.

Telscombe Seagull

Aug 15, 2003
Burgess Hill
Thanks, that's interesting it sounds like you have got a nice dog there.
Honestly didn't realise a poodle cross was £800, I was guessing at about £300-£400.

Get the best of both worlds and use the Labradoodle Rescue to get one, you get the type of dog you want and its a rescue. We got ours from there, them house the dogs with other families etc to get an idea of temperament etc and we had to have a couple of visits with and without the dog before they let us take her.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We took this chappie on as a foster dog, owner signed up for 4 years in the army - but now he's fully adopted as ours. I was always a cat [aka pussy] owner but this chap is such good fun and companionship.

Scan 1a.jpg

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Jack Russell's are like all terriers ........ Only bad and aggressive if you don't know how to control them and let them boss you and the home.
Personally I love them .

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A close friend has a Golden Retriever and it is a pain in the arse. A full grown dog, but still very much a puppy at heart (over a year old now).

Another close friend has a black Labrador and it is such a good dog. He's just passed level one search and rescue.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sorry for the delay in replying, just back in from work - we are looking at £6-700 and yes you should get evidence of the mother and father from a reputable breeder. As with everything in the entire world there is a website: www.labradoodle.org.uk/

They do look different as both sides will be different colours and sizes (especially poodles!); Mrs Jakarta wants a medium to large short haired chocolate coat with a brown nose so that will be easy enough to sort locally.... :wink:

That website is good, a forum about Labradoodles.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I like this puppy. ( I'm a bit of a soppy git when it comes to dogs)

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
(NB I'm aware there are probably several threads on this topic in Bozza's Bowels but I'd prefer to interact with some people ITK...)

Mrs G. is very keen on getting a dog. I quite like the idea but am not really that fussed.

Her pooch of preference is a Golden Labrador Retriever and she is talking about a puppy.

Our domestic set-up is favourable - decent sized house and garden (in Eastbourne) + 1 x Moshe Jnr (aged 6). Less favourable is that we both work - but are local, and flexibility for "nipping back home" as required is quite good in addition to morning/evening duties...

Has anyone done this recently or can advise (ideally from the perspective of a middle-aged bloke...)?

Labs eat like mad, including socks, pebbles, doors you name it, they will eat themselves to death! But are chilled out dogs and very friendly, but if you want a dog to play games with they arnt that excitable. I love dogs and have a Rottweiler and Boxer, they are both super friendly and lots of fun, though Boxer's are very hyper.

I would advise to get them insured, as vets bills can cost a fortune!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
That's very true. The friend with a Golden Retriever has spent north of £10k in vet bills in the first year and a bit. All covered on insurance.

bet the insurance company love your friend haha but yeah i also know someone that is always getting pebbles and other things taken out of their labrador.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
Get insurance and don't go just on price. Check with the VET that you will be using which companies they are happy to deal with. If you have insurance that the VET doesn't endorse you will have to front the cash and claim it back later which is not ideal.

Also get insurance that covers symptoms for the life of the dog and not just for the year. Otherwise when you renew it will be a pre existing condition and exempt from further insurance cover.

We have a Jack Russell. Whilst some of the comments on here are a bit alarmist, JR's are a challenge. But if you rise to it you will be rewarded with an amazing companion that has bags of character and is great fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here