Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting a dog - advice please.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Don't be put off by this type of scaremongering, OP. Rescue centres will be able to tell you exactly how good the dog is around kids. Go and speak to the experts and they will tell you.

Get a rescue...
jydy2epu.jpg

I'm not scaremongering, just being practical. We always wanted a dog but never got one, because we would not leave it alone at home all day. We had kittens, instead, so the children could learn to love and care for something other than themselves. If we had got a dog, we would have had a puppy, because puppies are cutie-gorgeous, and you can train them into the family ways. An adult rescue dog already has a history, which you don't share. JMPOV.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Not that the "experts are trying to get you to buy a dog or anything like that. Conflict of interest anyone?

Don't really understand this opinion; they spend all their time with the dogs to establish exactly what types of home they should/shouldn't be going go to. They are unequivocally experts on the dogs, and especially in matching the needs of the dog with the requirements & familial state of the prospective owners.

If you're suggesting they'll place a dog that they've deemed unsuitable in a house with children then I think you're mistaken. Each to their own though, and all that.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We got a Cockapoo last year.

If you spend pedigree money on a purebred dog then the Kennel Club family tree will give you some assurance about what you're getting. With a mongrel you don't. The high price of all Poodle crosses - ours was, um, £800 - means that there are a lot of sharks and puppy farmers about. So you need to be careful.

We discovered that there was a breed club certifying a small number of dealers. It's still no guarantee but dodgy breeders wouldn't tend to join. Our breeder in Lincolnshire was a member and provided Kennel Club records showing that both parents were purebreds - and of course allowed us to see the mother and pups very early on. We saw ours when she was a week old.

There is little downside to getting a poodle cross providing you are very particular about where you get it from. The poodle strain will give you high intelligence and a coat that doesn't moult. In our case we also got the affection of a cocker spaniel. I've come across a couple of Labradoodles on walks and they were both lovely.

Thanks, that's interesting it sounds like you have got a nice dog there.
Honestly didn't realise a poodle cross was £800, I was guessing at about £300-£400.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Have to say, my parents owned a boarding kennels so we had up to 100 dogs at any one time, and if there's one breed I disliked the most it was Jack Russels. Never got bitten by one though.

I got bitten by one when I was a kid, but I would say Yorkshire Terriers like to have a go 2 have bitten me.
I work in occupied houses as a Plumber and it's terriers I always watch out for, big dogs don't really bother me.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I got bitten by one when I was a kid, but I would say Yorkshire Terriers like to have a go 2 have bitten me.
I work in occupied houses as a Plumber and it's terriers I always watch out for, big dogs don't really bother me.

short dog syndrome?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Have to say, my parents owned a boarding kennels so we had up to 100 dogs at any one time, and if there's one breed I disliked the most it was Jack Russels. Never got bitten by one though.

A friend of mine's daughter, when she was 4 got bitten on the lip by their friends JR. I was with them at the time and she got too near it's food and it snapped, bit her lip whilst shaking it's head and from where I was stting it looked like she was getting her face ripped off. Very lucky to only have needed two stitches.

Obviously going near a dogs food is not the best move, but to witness how quickly it went into attack mode was quite shocking.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Out of interest how much does a Labradoodle cost to buy as a puppy? as when I was a kid cross bread dogs were given away or were cheap to buy, I've heard they are selling for hundreds of pounds now, but how do you know if the mother is 100% poodle and the father is 100% Lab( or whatever way round)?
I have seen a few Labradoodles but they always look different.

Sorry for the delay in replying, just back in from work - we are looking at £6-700 and yes you should get evidence of the mother and father from a reputable breeder. As with everything in the entire world there is a website: www.labradoodle.org.uk/

They do look different as both sides will be different colours and sizes (especially poodles!); Mrs Jakarta wants a medium to large short haired chocolate coat with a brown nose so that will be easy enough to sort locally.... :wink:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
short dog syndrome?
:smile:

Yep I would say.
A Cairn Terrier had me about 2 years back, the owner put the dog in the kitchen because it's aggressive but then let it out again, it bit me on the leg, the owner then said " shall I put him away again":facepalm:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Border Terrier every day of the week, good looking dog, walk well and love running chasing you on a bike etc and are fantastic with kids.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Don't get a rescue dog if you have kids, you don't know their history.

Read the rescue sites, loads of dogs have a complete history as many are put forward where people become ill, have to move or change their working patterns or split up and cannot care for their dogs anymore.

To be fair no dog should be trusted fully with kids, I love and have trusted all my dogs but would never leave them alone with children.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sorry for the delay in replying, just back in from work - we are looking at £6-700 and yes you should get evidence of the mother and father from a reputable breeder. As with everything in the entire world there is a website: www.labradoodle.org.uk/

They do look different as both sides will be different colours and sizes (especially poodles!); Mrs Jakarta wants a medium to large short haired chocolate coat with a brown nose so that will be easy enough to sort locally.... :wink:

No worries with reply I posted the question when I stopped for lunch and I went back to work.
Thanks for the reply.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

We paid £600 for our labradoodle but you can pay a lot more. KC Pedigree parents.

If the OP is interested in one then get on the Labradoodle association website and it has a list of breeders in the area. Also has good buying advice. Make sure you don't buy from a puppy farm though!!!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Get a retired Greyhound. They sleep 22 hours of the day so they don't need you to be home for them. They also come fully toilet trained and easy to handle on a lead.

They are also good with kids and tolerant of being poked and prodded without snapping.

They also time friendly for excercise and don't need extended and full on excercise sessions to keep them happy.

Just a bugger to catch if he slips off the lead ......

Keep a fluffy toy hare handy, just to be safe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here