Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get Yourselves Into The Sea

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Just been for the first swim of the year - a bit late I know - but it was magnificent. The sea was calm and blue, and after the initial cold was actually a comfortable temperature.

Give yourself a treat - get yourselves down there. And if you have a young family - there is no excuse - it is the best, free activity around.

Thanks for that, am on nights, needed a push. Set the alarm early and went and threw myself in the sea.
Its like Radox for the head.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
The sea is far too cold to swim in in this country. I love snorkelling but wouldn't dream of it in the UK.

Don't often go but went in May and honestly after the ball busting first 1min it's really nice on a good day. I wouldn't dream of doing it on a day when it isnt roasting so I dry fast after.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Thanks for that, am on nights, needed a push. Set the alarm early and went and threw myself in the sea.
Its like Radox for the head.

On nights tonight and will be cycling straight to the sea when I finish early tomorrow morning. Fantastic

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Off to play a round of Golf at 5. Must be mentallllllllllllllllllllll

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'm a tart, the thought of going anywhere near the water on Brighton beach after seeing the after affects of Big Beach Boutique has scarred me for life!

I need to man up I think :cheery:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Cycling down to Shoreham early evening tomorrow - nice long paddle in the sea, chips on the beach, few pints in Shoreham after, then cycle home.

It is not a bad old life.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just got back from an evening dip, amazing tonight, water ever so clear, lots of families out, we were opposite the Lagoon so lots of boards & kayaks out, great atmosphere, please weather let's have plenty more!!!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Spent all day on the beach laying in the sun getting pretty hot. Not once was I tempted to go in the sea though. Happy to do it in nice places abroad, but have always resisted the English Channel

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I go in the nice crystal clear waters abroad, here it looks murky and has a film of some grease like substance on it. Yuck

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I go in the nice crystal clear waters abroad, here it looks murky and has a film of some grease like substance on it. Yuck

The murkiness is due to the amount of silt/sand in the water and is mainly due to the flow of the tides and rivers washing mud into the sea after rain, it's no more/less polluted than the crystal clear water of the med or red sea.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011

How clean is the sea?
The short answer is that the sea is clean enough most of the time, but not as clean as it ought to be. Brighton and Hove beaches have never come up to the standard required to qualify for a Blue Flag, but this is partly due to the quality of amenities on the sea front generally, as becomes clear when Brighton is compared with a Blue Flag resort .

Sewage from Brighton and Hove is discharged a mile offshore from the Portobello outfall at Telscombe. Dilution and the effect of sunlight should destroy harmful bacteria and prevent pollution of the sea at Brighton. To satisfy EU Directives, Southern Water is currently trying to find a site for a treatment works but this has proved problematic.

Since the late 1990s, polluted storm water overflows have been diverted to a £50 million storm relief tunnel constructed in the 1990s, running from Hove Street to Black Rock; it is stored and pumped to Portobello outfall. This is meant to be able to cope with up to a 50 year storm but in practice is has failed to cope a couple of times since it came into use; this happened after exceptionally heavy summer storms, but the problem was obvious, and it is probably true to say that the sea off Brighton is cleaner than it has been for at least the past two centuries. None of the regular bathers has caught any infection due to the sea since the collector tunnel came into use.

Quote from Brighton swimming club. That go in every day humanly possible.
Get in there.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Thanks for that spig100963.

I just have a look at the water when I go down there. Mostly it is ok and just have a normal splash. with no issues about head under the water, on rare occasions I go in and choose to keep my head above the water, and very, very rarely I think - Nah.

But this week it has been tremendous. Roll on this evening.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
A question to all you sea swimmers. On entering the sea do you, walk straight in dive in and get on with it, or do you stand there touching the water for 5 mins splashing your self before gently lowering yourself in?

Personally if I did the latter, on a cold day I would bottle it. I have to know from the moment I leave my house I am going in.
I undress about a foot from the water three steeps and splash. Minute to sort the breathing out. Remove balls from throat. Then start swimming.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Last one of the year today. If you see a twat wading into the sea off Hove lawns circa midday today that'll be me. My knackers can't take the cold any more - it's like coming out after a swim with a pair of frozen peas between your legs....and as for little willy...well he's not really there at all!

:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 18477

Last one of the year today. If you see a twat wading into the sea off Hove lawns circa midday today that'll be me. My knackers can't take the cold any more - it's like coming out after a swim with a pair of frozen peas between your legs....and as for little willy...well he's not really there at all!

i hope you're wearing a wetsuit! otherwise thats just not a very sensible idea is it...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Try over here :)

Current conditions - Clear
clear

Temperature: 24°C

Feels like: 25.0°C

Humidity: 61%

UV index: 4.0

Chance of rain: 0.0 mm

Sun rise: 6:30 AM

Sea: 23°C

Sun set: 5:02 PM