Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get out of town

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i reckon the Yeovil fan has never been to Reading, as someone who has actually walked from stadium to town, its a bloody mission. respect the effort to compile, maybe distance to a rail station is more relevent than outright distance to town centre? one major flaw though...

- For Millwall, you have to cross the Thames to get from Millwall to South Bermondsey, so this figure was adjusted

why adjust for Millwall but not for (Woolwich) Arsenal? Millwall were in Bermondsey before Arsenal treked north. everyone knows the suport base for Millwall is Bermondsey despite the name. likewise taking QPR distance from a historically linked station when realy the nearest "town centre" could be Shepards Bush (not sure where the support base comes from for QPR tbh)

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good work there, and genuinely interesting.

And prize for the most retarded post ever on NSC must go to the suggestion that the Albion represent Falmer.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
why adjust for Millwall but not for (Woolwich) Arsenal? Millwall were in Bermondsey before Arsenal treked north. everyone knows the suport base for Millwall is Bermondsey despite the name. likewise taking QPR distance from a historically linked station when realy the nearest "town centre" could be Shepards Bush (not sure where the support base comes from for QPR tbh)

Yeah, this is by no means a perfect system and I think you could always find flaws, but I don't think anyone thinks of arsenal as a 'Woolwich' club. And there's a lot in a name. I'd reckon Millwall derive a lot of support from the area Millwall, in a way that Woolwich arsenal do not.

Take the point on QPR.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Crap drive???? It's only half an hour for me!

It's surely not half an hour back thought ? It took an hour for the coach to get about 500 yards from where it was parked to the road outside when I went. I really liked their ground though so it was worth it.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Details from the web site I mentioned in post 15:

Yeovil Town Huish Park, Lufton Way, Yeovil, Somerset BA22 8YF
Station: Yeovil Junction 4½m. South West Coaches bus 68 from Barwick (Yeovil Junction Station) to Yeovil (The Borough); half hourly, takes 5 mins. Then First Dorset and South Somerset bus 1 from Yeovil (The Borough) to Yeovil (Western Avenue at Copse Road); four times per hour, takes 20 mins. Then up Copse Road, left into Lufton Way, and ground is on left (7 mins). Bus back into Yeovil is from the same stop.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
good effort, thanks! ...ignore the critical idiots! they should get off their arses and try contributing something interesting for once!!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Since when has Everton been a city or even a town?
It started as a religious club by the Methodists and Liverpool was for the Catholics.

Liverpool came about because of a dispute between Everton and the landlord of Anfield. Everton left for Goodison and the landlord formed Liverpool F.C. to make use of the football ground he owned. Nothing to do with Catholics wanting their own club.

You ought to take note of your sig more often.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But we do play in Brighton.

The border (as in where Brighton & Hove City Council's area stops, and East Sussex County Council/Falmer Parish Council starts) is past the Amex, I'd guess the Drove?

The stadium is within Brighton & Hove. Just.
the border goes right up the edge of the outer concourse, with Bennett field and the coach park being entirely within Lewes District.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Brilliant job but can't help thinking the coventry stats shouldn't have been adjusted as it is where they play and more importantly the reason for fans' protests.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Yeovil isn't the greatest example, is it? The station they are talking about in the chart must be Pen Mill, which is on a rural line from Weymouth to Bristol, so not much use for most visiting fans. The main station, Yeovil Junction, is in the village of Stoford, a couple of miles from the town at the opposite end from Huish Park. If that was the station referred to, Yeovil's would be the furthest away, I would have thought. Mind you, with the train problems last night, it did make me realise just how far the Amex is out of central Brighton. Had it been available, the station site really would have been brilliant.

And where would all the cars park around the Station...Amex is not that far really, as a 12 year old I used to walk to the seafront from Coldean and back again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Liverpool came about because of a dispute between Everton and the landlord of Anfield. Everton left for Goodison and the landlord formed Liverpool F.C. to make use of the football ground he owned. Nothing to do with Catholics wanting their own club.

You ought to take note of your sig more often.
Look up St Domingo's football club. I didn't say that the Catholics wanted their own club.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
And where would all the cars park around the Station...Amex is not that far really, as a 12 year old I used to walk to the seafront from Coldean and back again.

No need to drive when it is *RIGHT NEXT* to Brighton station really is there?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I got to go on Albion Roar once. When they asked if I had a Scottish team I said Partick Thistle. 'Oh' said a presenter who must remain nameless 'How far's that from Glasgow?' :facepalm:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Everton is part of Liverpool, and is in the same city as Liverpool FC. It is not the centre of anywhere.

Manchester United is actually in Trafford, not in Manchester at all.

Old Trafford is nearer to 4 miles from Manchester than the 2 half on the graph. Good effort though.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I got to go on Albion Roar once. When they asked if I had a Scottish team I said Partick Thistle. 'Oh' said a presenter who must remain nameless 'How far's that from Glasgow?' :facepalm:

1.4 miles.

lRDLh.png

(but 2.0 miles from Partick.)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Look up St Domingo's football club. I didn't say that the Catholics wanted their own club.

You said "It (Everton) started as a religious club by the Methodists and Liverpool was for the Catholics."
I took that to mean that you thought that Liverpool was created either by or for Catholics, which it wasn't, if you want to say what you really meant, please explain.

Yes, Everton started life as St Domingo's, and remained so for a year of its existence but it has been Everton for most of it's 130 odd year history. They changed the name to be inclusive of all in the area not just the Parishoners of St. Domingo's.

It is wrong to describe them as clubs for either Protestant or Catholic football fans, but if you wanted to pick one on religious grounds, you would have it the wrong way round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here