Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get out of town

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
If we were called Falmer FC then our stadium would not be out of town, but we are not. As Everton are called "Everton" it surely makes sense to say they are representing Everton rather than Liverpool. Or am I mental?

Exactly. That was the idea.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we were called Falmer FC then our stadium would not be out of town, but we are not. As Everton are called "Everton" it surely makes sense to say they are representing Everton rather than Liverpool. Or am I mental?

Since when has Everton been a city or even a town?
It started as a religious club by the Methodists and Liverpool was for the Catholics.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wow this is really boring...

I think it's a really interesting thread!, although ...

Why the anomaly between Notts County and Nottingham Forest, when the grounds are only seperated by the river Trent?, or are you calculating the distance to Meadow Lane from the middle of the county of Nottingham, and the distance to the City Ground from the centre of the city?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Ignore the gripey buggers in here, fair play for putting the effort in and you know what, it's genuinely interesting!

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just read this. Still don't get why Everton play in 'Everton' and not Liverpool whilst Brighton play in Brighton not 'Falmer'. Not life changing though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where is Port Vale measured from?

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Since when has Everton been a city or even a town?
It started as a religious club by the Methodists and Liverpool was for the Catholics.

It's not. But it is an area of Liverpool. And an area with a football team.

I think it's a really interesting thread!, although ...

Why the anomaly between Notts County and Nottingham Forest, when the grounds are only seperated by the river Trent?, or are you calculating the distance to Meadow Lane from the middle of the county of Nottingham, and the distance to the City Ground from the centre of the city?

Forest and county are both measured from the centre of Nottingham.

Where is Port Vale measured from?

Burslem, as there's no such place as Port Vale.

Just read this. Still don't get why Everton play in 'Everton' and not Liverpool whilst Brighton play in Brighton not 'Falmer'. Not life changing though.

Because we're not Falmer F.C.

Cheers all.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

But we do play in Brighton.

The border (as in where Brighton & Hove City Council's area stops, and East Sussex County Council/Falmer Parish Council starts) is past the Amex, I'd guess the Drove?

The stadium is within Brighton & Hove. Just.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Yeovil isn't the greatest example, is it? The station they are talking about in the chart must be Pen Mill, which is on a rural line from Weymouth to Bristol, so not much use for most visiting fans. The main station, Yeovil Junction, is in the village of Stoford, a couple of miles from the town at the opposite end from Huish Park. If that was the station referred to, Yeovil's would be the furthest away, I would have thought. Mind you, with the train problems last night, it did make me realise just how far the Amex is out of central Brighton. Had it been available, the station site really would have been brilliant.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Would have been better to do it as the distance from the town's main train station that away fans are likely to arrive into.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And from the ground it's a long walk to the nearest pub.

To get there by train, you either have to go the scenic south coast route, or up to Clapham Junction and get a train to Yeovil Junction. Yeovil Junction station isn't even in Yeovil, it's in a small village out of town, probably like Pyecombe would be to Brighton. So once you arrive, you have to take a local bus or a taxi into town, in order to find pubs. Then it's another bus or taxi from Yeovil Pen Mill station to the vicinity of the ground.

Of course you could go straight from YJ station to the ground in a taxi, but there's only one pub nearby and it's not what you'd call atmospheric, as well as being rammed, with consequently slow service.

Then after the game you have to either pay for another taxi back to YJ, or get the bus to YPM, and then a second bus from there to YJ. Once at YJ, trains to London tend to run once an hour, and are in no way conveniently related to the football. I had to wait for an hour at YJ this season for the London train. It really is a total pain in the arse. Bozza and Nail-Z only travelled from Bristol- in the same county, loosely speaking- for the game, but the train journey even for them took about two & a half hours because of the ludicrous route they had to go to get there.

I did the drive once and that was a shocker too. Was a midweek game, we got caught in traffic heading through Hampshire, got stuck behind countless tractors on the country roads, and arrived fifteen minutes after kick off, by which time BBC Radio Bristol had cheerily informed us that we were already losing. On arrival at the ground, the turnstile operator told us we had to walk all the way to the other end of Huish Park to buy a ticket from the ticket office in order to come back round and get in the turnstile.

The car park took bloody ages to clear afterwards too. No, I'm never doing Yeovil again unless someone pays for a private helicopter transfer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here