Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get in the correct lane you daft MORONS!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yesterday an AA van was trying to pull out on to the road, with a car on tow. I reversed leaving enough space for the car in front to also reverse, because I could clearly see that the AA Van did not have enough space to make the turn. As the AA van started turning, the vechicle in front decided to move forward and got stuck. Instead of reversing they panicked, so drove up on the curb.
Can some drivers not see that long vechicles need to given extra space when making sharp turns.

Found this video on youtube. Exactly the same situation.

I have lost count of the number of drivers that try to overtake me on the right side when turning sharp right,with my right hand indicator on,first of all i have to move left to get the angles-good job i use my mirrors

It's all about knowing the length and width of your vehicle-WE DRIVE LARGE VEHICLES-WE KNOW OUR ANGLES-please don't panic,move and f*** OUR ANGLES UP!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

There are no slow, fast lanes. the outside lane is an overtaking lane.

pedantic bugger !! yellow card accepted :lolol:

D

Deleted member 22389

I have lost count of the number of drivers that try to overtake me on the right side when turning sharp right,with my right hand indicator on,first of all i have to move left to get the angles-good job i use my mirrors

It's all about knowing the length and width of your vehicle-WE DRIVE LARGE VEHICLES-WE KNOW OUR ANGLES-please don't panic,move and f*** OUR ANGLES UP!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

pedantic bugger !! yellow card accepted :lolol:

It only takes me 10 mins in my car to get wound up. Don't know how you deal with it all day.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Some people are just plain stupid but I don't know why truck drivers expect normal road users to know everything there is to know about driving a truck.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Some people are just plain stupid but I don't know why truck drivers expect normal road users to know everything there is to know about driving a truck.

Myself,like the best ones & all good road users for that matter make allowances-for people,some people have never driven in an area before,you get to know "this ones not to sure where there going" that type of thing..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It only takes me 10 mins in my car to get wound up. Don't know how you deal with it all day.

A lot of patience and understanding-also seen too much,has made me calmer not too laid back though,can't switch off for a minute.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A lot of patience and understanding-also seen too much,has made me calmer not too laid back though,can't switch off for a minute.

Not a job I'd trust myself to do. Kudos to you. Two Polish lorry drivers who were in front of us after leaving the ferry who we thought were trying to race/ram each other nearly killed everyone on the road as they got right next to each other at speed, thought they were having a barney, only to see an arm holding a newspaper emerge from one window and pass the paper to the other driver. I wish Policew had seen it, very, very dangerous. Other than that, safest driversd on the road I reckon, don't envy you getting those big artics through towns.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Not a job I'd trust myself to do. Kudos to you. Two Polish lorry drivers who were in front of us after leaving the ferry who we thought were trying to race/ram each other nearly killed everyone on the road as they got right next to each other at speed, thought they were having a barney, only to see an arm holding a newspaper emerge from one window and pass the paper to the other driver. I wish Policew had seen it, very, very dangerous. Other than that, safest driversd on the road I reckon, don't envy you getting those big artics through towns.

There will always be bad apple's,but Digital Tacho's are helping flush out those that flout the rules,especially company's that make drivers go over hour's-it can only benefit us all...

After all i am a car driver too when not working

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There will always be bad apple's,but Digital Tacho's are helping flush out those that flout the rules,especially company's that make drivers go over hour's-it can only benefit us all...

After all i am a car driver too when not working

Yes, I used to work in a truck building plant, Johnsons in Dorking. Some of the drivers coming back from Europe didn't so much bend the rules as tie them in knots! Long time ago now though, must have been 97 I was there.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes, I used to work in a truck building plant, Johnsons in Dorking. Some of the drivers coming back from Europe didn't so much bend the rules as tie them in knots! Long time ago now though, must have been 97 I was there.

Swapping of Tacho disc's /records kept on paper etc

These days you don't even have to put you card in,the authorities can download the vehicles tacho details,makes it harder to get away with..

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Plenty of signs leading up to the junction saying get in lane for Falmer/Amex, then half a mile before the junction (or more) plastic pillars so you cant sqeeze in, if you miss it, hard bun mate, carry on,turn round and join the back of the queue much further back than you would have been.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Swapping of Tacho disc's /records kept on paper etc

These days you don't even have to put you card in,the authorities can download the vehicles tacho details,makes it harder to get away with..

Do you do mainland Europe or just UK? Always fascinated me the long haul truckers, a kind of paralell life of night driving and ferrys etc. Always stuck me as somehow glamorous, I'm sure reality is VERY different!!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Do you do mainland Europe or just UK? Always fascinated me the long haul truckers, a kind of paralell life of night driving and ferrys etc. Always stuck me as somehow glamorous, I'm sure reality is VERY different!!

No i get 11 hours daily rest- don't do Europe.

Reality would be very different indeed..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Talking of daily rest [MENTION=5707]Nibble[/MENTION] i pass the baton over to you,today i have posted 54 posts,your good self 29 times...........

Nowhere near my record but for now.....

I'm out of here!!!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
See the scenario the op describes almost every night. That is an extremely dangerous junction and people generally fail to anticipate the queue there.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

I have, and do drive coaches throughout Europe regularly. The driving standards abroad tend to be better in some countries than others although foreigners do stick to the rules a lot better. You rarely get middle/outside lane hoggers except in Ireland, but foreign drivers do not give way unless they have no choice. The Germans are the worst for this.

In general, driving standards in the UK are getting worse as the roads get fuller. The driving test needs an overhaul and part of learning to drive should include gaining some motorway driving experience. The biggest fault of nearly every driver that I witness daily is their lack of awareness and poor forward planning. It's about time people were taught to actually drive and not just pass a simple 30 minute exam.

I cannot believe some of the things that I see on a day to day basis and it makes you wonder how on earth some drivers ever got through a test in the first place. I include some so called professional LGV and PCV drivers in this too! We have a driver at our firm that has been involved in approx 30k worth of insurance claims during the last 18 months alone, including rear ending a police chief and numerous broken windows by hitting trees and the like!

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Plenty of signs leading up to the junction saying get in lane for Falmer/Amex, then half a mile before the junction (or more) plastic pillars so you cant sqeeze in, if you miss it, hard bun mate, carry on,turn round and join the back of the queue much further back than you would have been.

This is the answer as it simply stops everyone queue jumping but the current situation creates a 'everyone else does it so I might as well' mentality.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We normally get to thevirgin club at 12 ish so normally avoid this scenario, however on an evening game we try to get there at around 6 ish, and catch the commuter traffic as well. I have taken to driving down to the Kingston roundabout and coming towards falmer from the lewes side. Much easier and no stress.

Simples

The dickheads who drive up the left hand lane and then cut in are the main cause of frustration up that road.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I do live a good driving rant. The "Anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac, anoyone who drives slower than me is an idiot" school of thought. Have you though about using public transport so as you are no longer part of the problem?

thanks nibble,public transport was considered for about 5 seconds but as one of the passengers is wheelchair bound we opted to pay for the shiny new car park instead.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Agree with those who've posted already - I use that Falmer turn off each rush hour and there's going to be a massive accident there sooner or later

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I've nearly come a cropped several times. Sometimes (not just on match days) the queue goes back up the hill where people are coming down quite quickly around a corner with the sun in their eyes. To get to Woodingdean you need to queue from there which blocks people trying to get onto the A27 towards Lewes.

So: what to do about it? Somehow you need to clear the queue over the bridge towards Woodingdean. The driving via Lewes isn't a bad idea: There is actually a bridge even sooner if you dive off at Falmer- it says private but it is always open.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here