Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get behind the manager and give him the time he needs and deserves.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I've said this in another thread but this is remarkably similar to how our first season back in the championship under Gus panned out. We managed to worm our way back into playoff contention only to implode when it got down to the final matches (e.g. West Ham putting six past us).

At the time it felt like the wheels had come off and that the next season was going to be a struggle. Look how the next season panned out.

I'm with the OP. Give him time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Or show a bit of determination, dig in and make it work. If something takes you by surprise and is more difficult that you expected I am betting that you don't just walk away. I am guessing you give it a crack

Have you watched his interviews? I see someone who mumbles, not determination.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
But even under GUS we faded away at the end of the first championship season.
I agree and not a happy supporter at the moment but we need to give OSCAR one more season to turn it around.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
But even under GUS we faded away at the end of the first championship season.
I agree and not a happy supporter at the moment but we need to give OSCAR one more season to turn it around.

Yeh, great idea, let's give the Spanish Buffoon another season to really bore the arse off everyone. I'm sure that will help with season ticket renewals in 2015. He is clueless and him and Jones need to go. The football this year, on the whole, has been dire!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I see no spirt and desire from the team or manager. I am not sure if we can afford to give him another season of this style of football, I am so bored of it it is dull, dull, dull why should pay my hard earned money to watch this retarded way of crab football.

When I say crab football I mean crab football I am not trying to avoid the swear tin.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yeh, great idea, let's give the Spanish Buffoon another season to really bore the arse off everyone. I'm sure that will help with season ticket renewals in 2015. He is clueless and him and Jones need to go. The football this year, on the whole, has been dire!

There really are no guarantees that a new manager is going to come in and do any better. TB will know from talking to Oscar what his plans are and if he thinks he can take us forward. I hope he gives him the time and space he needs to prove himself. Sacking the manager is so often not the answer.

Sorry for another Oscar thread but I thought I would try and redress the balance and take the focus from the threads posted by our unhappy 'customers'. I have taken my post from one of their threads and created this one.

He needs time to put his vision into practice, There have been several problems at the club which he has had to deal with. We were in disarray when he arrived and dealing with all the nonsense from the last manager. He has had injury problems all year and now he has the added issue of players being out of contract. He is clearly struggling to get his game plan going and may take a little longer than we would all like to adapt to Championship football.

We really haven't given him enough time to do his job, he should be given at least a summer and proper pre season before we right him off. Anything else is just knee jerk and part of the instant gratification culture which blights football and wider culture in this day and age.

We complain that football treats us like customers and not proper fans yet that is exactly how we behave.

If only you hadn't thrown in the usual threadbare excuses we've heard all season that no one believes any more, otherwise a decent post.

The issue is, if a manager fails to get the best out of a squad of players one season, do we have confidence he will the next? There's been a lot of blind faith extended to Oscar this season and it's not been repaid. My view is that he has this last couple of months to show us that he is learning well and can improve for next season. If there are no signs of that, it's pointless flogging a dead horse.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If only you hadn't thrown in the usual threadbare excuses we've heard all season that no one believes any more, otherwise a decent post.

The issue is, if a manager fails to get the best out of a squad of players one season, do we have confidence he will the next? There's been a lot of blind faith extended to Oscar this season and it's not been repaid. My view is that he has this last couple of months to show us that he is learning well and can improve for next season. If there are no signs of that, it's pointless flogging a dead horse.

I agree with your post, however i think your time frame is too short. I think he should be given a full pre season and a summer transfer window to show what he can do.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I take it you haven't had to endure the utter boredom of OG's negative football at the Amex this season. Sorry the man and Jones are out of their depths, the team he picked today and the substitutions showed this. They both need to go at the end of the season!

I suppose you will be top of Tony's list to replace him as you are so knowledgeable about the game. I assume you learnt your managerial and tactical superiority over Oscar in a quality league somewhere in the world rather that the Susssex Sunday league

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
There really are no guarantees that a new manager is going to come in and do any better. TB will know from talking to Oscar what his plans are and if he thinks he can take us forward. I hope he gives him the time and space he needs to prove himself. Sacking the manager is so often not the answer.

You are right! I have backed Garcia all season but today my patience has gone with him. I been to 8 away games all of the home games and seen us win draw and lose and in all, but maybe 3, I can honestly say that the performance has been mediocre at best. I am not one of these fans that thinks we need to be in the Prem tomorrow, in fact getting promoted to the Prem will mean higher ticket prices, fewer Saturday games and less games, so I actually like the Championship. However what I do expect is, especially when we are at home, we show some intent to take the game to the opposition and we are positive in our approach. If we do this and lose, then I have no complaints.
I don't think Garcia and Jones are capable of this, so as much I wish he was, I think he and Jones need to go to bring in someone who can motivate the players (which I feel could be a very good team) to perform with a lot more energy and purpose. The injuries etc have nothing to do with the playing style we have adopted all season.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You are right! I have backed Garcia all season but today my patience has gone with him. I been to 8 away games all of the home games and seen us win draw and lose and in all, but maybe 3, I can honestly say that the performance has been mediocre at best. I am not one of these fans that thinks we need to be in the Prem tomorrow, in fact getting promoted to the Prem will mean higher ticket prices, fewer Saturday games and less games, so I actually like the Championship. However what I do expect is, especially when we are at home, we show some intent to take the game to the opposition and we are positive in our approach. If we do this and lose, then I have no complaints.
I don't think Garcia and Jones are capable of this, so as much I wish he was, I think he and Jones need to go to bring in someone who can motivate the players (which I feel could be a very good team) to perform with a lot more energy and purpose. The injuries etc have nothing to do with the playing style we have adopted all season.

Fair play to you too. I respect your opinion and concede that you may be right. Like I say though I think we can afford to give him more time to see if he can be what we hoped he would be.

I am not in a position to go to games and watch the boring football on offer (i wish I was but that is another story) so I do understand your frustration and like i say respect your opinion.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Don't be a pratt mate

Nothing personal I just get a bit tired of all these people who think they know better than someone who is vastly more experienced. For a start none of us know exactly what goes on behind the scenes or the restrictions the manager may be under or if his vision is much greater and more long term. You can't build something over night and maybe we have to suffer a bit of boring football in order to get to where we need to be.

I am certainly no expert but I would wage that Garcia has lot more knowledge and experience than I have at managing and coaching a football team and there will be reasons why it isn't clicking into place at the moment. All I can say is I bet Man Utd were glad they stuck by Alex Fergusson even though he didn't exactly set the world alight in his early days with them.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Nothing personal I just get a bit tired of all these people who think they know better than someone who is vastly more experienced. For a start none of us know exactly what goes on behind the scenes or the restrictions the manager may be under or if his vision is much greater and more long term. You can't build something over night and maybe we have to suffer a bit of boring football in order to get to where we need to be.

I am certainly no expert but I would wage that Garcia has lot more knowledge and experience than I have at managing and coaching a football team and there will be reasons why it isn't clicking into place at the moment. All I can say is I bet Man Utd were glad they stuck by Alex Fergusson even though he didn't exactly set the world alight in his early days with them.

This

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

So am I not allowed an opinion?
As I have mentioned in an earlier post I have seen a lot of games this year home and away and I can honestly say that the performance in all, but maybe 3 or 4, has been negative and mediocre. The team Garcia has are a lot better then the performances this year! How long do you give a manager? Why would he suddenly change next year? I don't know if you get the to Amex but if you do can you honestly say that you have enjoyed the football this year?
Obviously I am not a professional manager/coach and I do not profess to be, but like all fans I have an opinion. I not looking for the Albion to be world beaters but I do expect a positive attitude from our manager especially in home games.
IMHO Garcia and Jones are not and will never be up to the job and you are entirely allowed to take a contrary view.

I agree with your post, however i think your time frame is too short. I think he should be given a full pre season and a summer transfer window to show what he can do.

Fair enough. I don't like short-termism either but, for me, giving managers two-season blank cheques is not the answer either, and I genuinely do not think that's how Bloom runs this ship. If Oscar deserves more time, he has to earn it, I think managers always have to show evidence of improvement. If Oscar has a strong finish to the season, today will be forgotten!

I am certainly no expert but I would wage that Garcia has lot more knowledge and experience than I have at managing and coaching a football team

So has Jeff Wood. But I'm not sure that takes the debate forward much? We are all amateurs here and apply the best mix of logic and guesswork we can to judge what the "experts" on the board might do with managers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here