Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gerrard to Newcastle....2 nd place it is then!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would be very happy to see Gerrard go to Newcastle. Not a chance that he would improve their team, and hopefully he (or his salary expectations) would be a destabilizing influence to boot.

As to the suggestion in this thread that he'd be 'useful to bring on to hold a lead' - Liverpool tried that at the end of his farewell season - he got caught on the ball, lunged in, and got a straight red after about 30 seconds on the pitch. And that was two years ago. The guy can barely run.

That was on 1 occasion and anybody is allowed a mistake, even you. not that I would want him to sign for us.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
That was on 1 occasion and anybody is allowed a mistake, even you. not that I would want him to sign for us.

Yeah, but the point is he isn't and never has been the type of player you describe. If anything, he was the type you'd take off to hold on to a lead. He was fantastically talented indisputably but positionally indisciplined. There is a reason the Gerrard/Lampard partnership never worked. For Gerrard (or Lampard for that matter) to flourish they needed a holding midfielder (or two) alongside them to allow them the freedom to attack. Brilliant players but equally reliant upon the perfect set up for them to be effective as I suspect they would be the first to acknowledge.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yeah, but the point is he isn't and never has been the type of player you describe. If anything, he was the type you'd take off to hold on to a lead. He was fantastically talented indisputably but positionally indisciplined. There is a reason the Gerrard/Lampard partnership never worked. For Gerrard (or Lampard for that matter) to flourish they needed a holding midfielder (or two) alongside them to allow them the freedom to attack. Brilliant players but equally reliant upon the perfect set up for them to be effective as I suspect they would be the first to acknowledge.

I think Gerrard was allowed a free role behind he main striker. Not expected to defend.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I think Gerrard was allowed a free role behind he main striker. Not expected to defend.

Well, he was allowed a free role behind Torres but not when L'pool played three up top. He also wasn't allowed a free role behind the striker when SGE asked Paul Scholes to play left side of midfield to accommodate SG and FL, nor when Capello asked SG to play on the left side of a midfield four which he did for the kick off but that was about it. I could go on but feel I might be wasting my time....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

He's been sent off eight times in his career, twice against Everton, twice against Man United, once against Chelsea & once against Leeds, which rather suggests he does have issues controlling his temper when in a pressure situation...

Anyhoo, I'd feel pretty much the same about him as I did about Forestieri. We have a great spirit within the squad, there are no prima donnas or obvious big time Charlies. It's a good mix of youth and experience, and we're on a decent run of form. Why would you want to parachute somebody in who's instantly earning three times what any of the others do, who hasn't actually been decent for three years now, and who would bring with him a colossal media circus similar to the one that followed him around for his endless Liverpool farewell tour? I reckon somebody like him would unbalance things. Gerrard never looked all that bothered when he was playing for the Galaxy, if you read the reports, so I really can't see him busting a gut for any club other than Liverpool, where he'd no longer get in their squad anyway.

Newcastle: they already have players in the £70-£80k per week bracket with plenty of PL experience, and they're not fussed about paying those wages at this level. He'd be the ideal messiah for the Toon Army to worship, however mistakenly or short-lived that turned out to be. Let him go there and destabilise them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He's been sent off eight times in his career, twice against Everton, twice against Man United, once against Chelsea & once against Leeds, which rather suggests he does have issues controlling his temper when in a pressure situation...

Anyhoo, I'd feel pretty much the same about him as I did about Forestieri. We have a great spirit within the squad, there are no prima donnas or obvious big time Charlies. It's a good mix of youth and experience, and we're on a decent run of form. Why would you want to parachute somebody in who's instantly earning three times what any of the others do, who hasn't actually been decent for three years now, and who would bring with him a colossal media circus similar to the one that followed him around for his endless Liverpool farewell tour? I reckon somebody like him would unbalance things. Gerrard never looked all that bothered when he was playing for the Galaxy, if you read the reports, so I really can't see him busting a gut for any club other than Liverpool, where he'd no longer get in their squad anyway.

Newcastle: they already have players in the £70-£80k per week bracket with plenty of PL experience, and they're not fussed about paying those wages at this level. He'd be the ideal messiah for the Toon Army to worship, however mistakenly or short-lived that turned out to be. Let him go there and destabilise them.

I was commenting on his appearance when he was sent off after just 30 secs of coming on rather than his previous record which could be due to his naturally aggressive style of play, It was suggested that the sending off was due to his being 'past it' .

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
These players are the very last that we need,on so many levels.......age ,ego,pace,wage,the cause and many many more !!!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was commenting on his appearance when he was sent off after just 30 secs of coming on rather than his previous record which could be due to his naturally aggressive style of play, It was suggested that the sending off was due to his being 'past it' .

A player can be aggressive but controlled at the same time. A player who keeps getting sent off in high octane games lacks self-discipline and lets his team mates down.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Anyway, Gerrard has said he'll never play against Liverpool, so we'd only have him for 36 games next season. Plus he's probably going to Celtic.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Think Celtic would make more sense even with Benitez at the toon. Wouldn't want him here disrupting the team as CM is perhaps our strongest position and we have depth there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here