gerrard, one of the greatest modern footballers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
Yet he didn't go to any of them...admirable loyalty to Liverpool or an unambitious preference for being the big fish in the (comparitively, these days at least) smaller pond where he wouldn't be pushed as much.

Not saying either way, just a bit of Devil's Advocate...

So in conclusion all loyalty is in fact an absence of ambition?

Also Gerrard doesn't strike me as a player afraid of 'being pushed too much'.

Feb 14, 2010
So in conclusion all loyalty is in fact an absence of ambition?

Also Gerrard doesn't strike me as a player afraid of 'being pushed too much'.

Sod loyalty clap trap, look at hisball control. Couldnt care less if he was loyal or not, it just pissed me off they put Scholes out wide for him.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
Did they? Well goes to show, but so much shit gets talked in the press, its all smoke and mirrors. Do you seriously think he was better than Scholes or Rooney in midfield? Do you seriously think he was good enough for England never mind Barca? Cloud cuckoo land, his ball control was just not up to it and nor was his position sense. Look at Scholes, little diving in, he nicked the ball off players and played the right ball. That is how to play midfield not running around box to box.

Jaw dropping levels of idiocy in your post.

Gerrard and Mourinho have both confirmed that Madrid were chasing Gerrard as late as 2012.

"That is how to play midfield not running around box to box"

Tell that to any number of current German midfielders, Vieira, Ballack, Vidal et al

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Sod loyalty clap trap, look at hisball control. Couldnt care less if he was loyal or not, it just pissed me off they put Scholes out wide for him.

Oh, and Gerrard was not played as a defensive midfielder in his prime for England, he was not shoved out on the left wing to accomodate, or put at right back a few times. Meanwhile Scholes turned his back on England aged 29.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Its a really interesting question because I can't think of a club footballer who has been so important to their club and so involved in all their great moments - the team revolves around him and when they've been great its because of him - and you can't get much greater than a champions league final, and they were so so close to the league title last year.

The only one I can really think of is Xavi - I have never seen anyone control and influence a team's play the way he did for so long. Of course having Messi, Eto'o, Henry, Ronaldinho, Iniesta et al helped, but it was always always Xavi quietly pulling the strings to perfection.

Guardiola said it best about him - "When Xavi plays well, Barca play well"

Feb 14, 2010

Gerrard and Mourinho have both confirmed that Madrid were chasing Gerrard as late as 2012.

No mate, jaw dropping idiocy was having Gerrard in the England side ahead of a midfield triangle of Scholes, Rooney and Lampard. The difference between Gerrard and the German midfielders is also obviously, they can control a football first time and pass it with the ball in their stride. Gerrard just didnt have the vision, or ball control. Some call it intelligence, I call it ability. He was a Bryan Robson box to box average english footballer.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014

No mate, jaw dropping idiocy was having Gerrard in the England side ahead of a midfield triangle of Scholes, Rooney and Lampard. The difference between Gerrard and the German midfielders is also obviously, they can control a football first time and pass it with the ball in their stride. Gerrard just didnt have the vision, or ball control. Some call it intelligence, I call it ability. He was a Bryan Robson box to box average english footballer.

You consider Rooney to be a superior midfielder to Gerrard?

"Gerrard just didnt have the vision"

According to statbunker he has more Premier League assists than both Lampard and Rooney despite playing large parts of his career deeper than both.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
English football, won nothing since 1966 for a reason. Bryan Robsopn and Gerrard being considered "world class" one of those main reasons.

Genuine question but were you around for the 1966 World Cup?

It's just usually people on the internet espousing the greatness of footballers plying their trade over half a centruy ago turn out to be about fifteen.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Genuine question but were you around for the 1966 World Cup?

It's just usually people on the internet espousing the greatness of footballers plying their trade over half a centruy ago turn out to be about fifteen.
WCP makes an interesting point. His age is irreverent init?

Feb 14, 2010
You consider Rooney to be a superior midfielder to Gerrard?

"Gerrard just didnt have the vision"

According to statbunker he has more Premier League assists than both Lampard and Rooney despite playing large parts of his career deeper than both.

Yes Rooney should have played midfield in his career, Ive said it for years and now the managers have finally worked it out as well. No idea how they get paid so much without seeing the obvious.

As for statbusters, well, mate we have scouts at Brighton who bought players in the back of statistics and that led to O'Grady. Enough said on that I think.

Gerrard was a good englishm box to box player, but should have been behind Scholes as the holding midfielder, Rooney, the creative midfielder and Lampard as a goal scorer. How that isnt and wasnt obvious to anyone never mind the England football manager who stuck Scholes our wide, I really dont know. Gerrad was not good enough for England as the world cups proved time after time, never mind being world class or good enough for the likes of Barca. He just didnt have the vision or ball control. I have him as the modern day Bryan Robson.

Feb 14, 2010
Not when he's championing players from over 50 years ago it's not.

I'm not, I just pointed out that England have won nothing sonce 1966 because ourr football is not good enough. One reason is that people think Bryan Robson and Gerrard are world class. They are not, seemy post about what should have been the triangle, scholes (holding), Roney (creative) and Lampard (goals). For me it was so bloody obvious that Gerrard should have been on the bench. He was just not world class but if you think he was then fair enough, we just wont agree.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Some people call that loyalty.

Easier to be loyal if you play for one of the worlds biggest clubs in the first place. Do you think he would still be at tranmere if he had signed for them as a kid instead?

Great player, but one of the modern masters of flannel and saying the right things to fans. Always hated his england interviews, and him being a key part of that generation who played for England with an arrogance and sense of entitlement, and very little humility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports