Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

gerrard, one of the greatest modern footballers

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep. Scholes didnt have to run around as much as he had vision to be in the right place. Hepulled the strings. Effortless class hence under rated. The best English player since Gaza, different to Gaxzza and not as good as Gazza but far better than Gerrard.

Someone, somewhere, understands this. Meanwhile what do you know about Pardew ? you seem pissed enough to be indiscreet.

Feb 14, 2010
Someone, somewhere, understands this. Meanwhile what do you know about Pardew ? you seem pissed enough to be indiscreet.

I dont know anything about Pardew, I only know a rumour that I expect you already know if you cast your mind back or if you ask a few people they will tell you, and like you or them I dont even know if its true.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Didn't he beat someone up in a night club or some such thing?

yep, bit of Handbags and a minor car crash, but certainly not a model pro by todays standards. I don't think he even has a tattoo.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Yes maybe. He also to be fair turned around a Champions League final. He had a great second half in that game. But look at him as a player, average ball control and just not in the same class as Scholes if you ask me. But its all about opinions as Saint & Greavesie used to say.

Indeed it is (though Saint & Greavsie are a bit before my time) and indeed he did!

Just for the sake of clarity; I'm completely with you on the Scholes side of things, he was one of the best midfielders in the modern game, I'm just saying that Gerrard shouldn't be judged as mediocre for not matching up to him as very few players do/did/will. It'd be like saying Aguero doesn't measure up to Messi so probably isn't all that, which is clearly not the case.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
yep, bit of Handbags and a minor car crash, but certainly not a model pro by todays standards. I don't think he even has a tattoo.

He has a bimbo wife though

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I dont know anything about Pardew, I only know a rumour that I expect you already know if you cast your mind back or if you ask a few people they will tell you, and like you or them I dont even know if its true.

Well, that clears things up nicely, or maybe not or is that a cryptic clue ? I suppose we had best give up as I think you can't remember anyway.

Feb 14, 2010
Indeed it is (though Saint & Greavsie are a bit before my time) and indeed he did!

Just for the sake of clarity; I'm completely with you on the Scholes side of things, he was one of the best midfielders in the modern game, I'm just saying that Gerrard shouldn't be judged as mediocre for not matching up to him as very few players do/did/will. It'd be like saying Aguero doesn't measure up to Messi so probably isn't all that, which I'd clearly not the case.

Yes OK I'm being a bit harsh on Gerrard, its a reaction to the press and some people talking about him as if he was Ronaldo or Pele or someone. He wasnt even the best English midfielder as Scholes was, never mind world class.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Yes OK I'm being a bit harsh on Gerrard, its a reaction to the press and some people talking about him as if he was Ronaldo or Pele or someone. He wasnt even the best English midfielder as Scholes was, never mind world class.
I get where you're coming from, it's a similar reaction to the one I have when people tell me how huge a club Leeds still are.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
As modern footballers go a model professional,no divorces, no affairs, no major car crashes, never missed a drugs test, never shagged someone's wife other than his own and never bit anyone. We will not see his like again. Mind you, he was a failure.

Bit harsh considering he only missed out on one major club honour. Most footballers can only dream of such a record.

Feb 14, 2010
I get where you're coming from, it's a similar reaction to the one I have when people tell me how huge a club Leeds still are.

I would probably annoy you there as I remember them as a big club and still look at them that way. Its great we get similar gates as them despite our lack of success. Says everything about the Albion. But yes, Leeds are not the Leeds of the 70's or 80's. As for Gerrard, nothing against him as a player, the best of his ilk, but h's just the wrong type of player for me and until we learn that, then we will never have a decent England side. The Scholes thing and playing him out wide was such a hash up but it was always about how do we make the team fit around Gerrard. As usual the press and manager were asking the wrong question and wondered why they couldnt find the right answer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bit harsh considering he only missed out on one major club honour. Most footballers can only dream of such a record.

I was joking. :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Most of the greats of the modern game have numerous domestic leage title medals though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He was in the FIFA World XI three times. So I'm guessing he was held in pretty high regard.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Gerard is another one of a long line of liverpool players who the media cream themselves over but who never proved to be the real deal at international level.

Up there with Barnes as the most overrated England player of all time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He was in the FIFA World XI three times. So I'm guessing he was held in pretty high regard.

Didn't they also say Messi was the player of the 2014 World Cup?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here