Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gerrard named manager of Saudi side Al-Ettifaq

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
I cannot figure out what that league is meant to be, a retirement home for footballers past their prime or some sort of zoo exhibit?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I cannot figure out what that league is meant to be, a retirement home for footballers past their prime or some sort of zoo exhibit?
Don’t think I could ever be persuaded to watch what seems to amount to not much more than exhibition football. To be successful and sustainable long term I think it needs to be part of your culture.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Hope he fails miserably. I can understand if you're poor working for these people out of necessity but when you have millions you have more freedom. Or do footballers have such strange lives in a bubble that they just don't understand?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
How many photos to get to a point where he looks genuinely happy? Could be the cash I guess

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Lots of people even well respected ones like him if offered enough money will work in Saudi . I’m presuming they won’t have to walk past a public square and see a beheading though .

Very sad but money talks to most people in football.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lots of people even well respected ones like him if offered enough money will work in Saudi . I’m presuming they won’t have to walk past a public square and see a beheading though .

Very sad but money talks to most people in football.
Good player in his day but he’s most certainly not respected as a coach and I’m not in the “great bloke” camp either, because he’s not.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Great player but whilst not quite at the depths of Lampard, seems a not so good manager. Not one of the ‘big teams’ over there either is it? How will it help his reputation if he gets a few mid table finishes over there? Maybe will be a last job and retire after the payday?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
How long before Sky start televising and bigging up the Saudi League I wonder.
I was wondering this, I am expecting a few free games to be shown first either on Sky or BT, maybe even for two seasons.
I see this as the start of a major threat to the premier league, they can buy anyone and once the talent starts draining away more will follow, using the excuse, if they can go so can I.

within three years, we will have sold someone to that league.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I wonder what his wife and 3 daughters think about it. It's the sort of job someone would take as a last payday before retirement. Shameful.
based in Damman so they'd be able to live in a nice ex-pat compound in Bahrain and commute over the causeway if they join him in the sand pit

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here