Votes: 47 85.5%
  • Bore Draw

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah obviously very easy for you to respect a part of, geographically speaking, Spain wanting to be a British Overseas Territory but it really isn't that difficult understanding why Spain aren't too keen, similar to how I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be thrilled by some part of your island belonging to Spain or Russia or Sweden or whatever.
It's very easy to ignore stuff which is completely hypothetical too.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You do read these posts selectively. Not sure I warm to the anti-English sentiment in your final line, I‘m sure you could find a better home for that than NSC.

I am also not sure I ever said I didn’t like Spain, I said I was struggling to support them In a football match ahead of Germany. And then I pointed out the hypocrisy re Ceuta/Melilla and the fact that Gibraltarians have been treated by Spain for centuries in a way that would not endear them to anyone. The population there is a melting pot of nationalities, Brits account for about 25% only I believe but it’s complicated. Your plans for them sound bizarre, we can’t just go round re-writing borders because one side aggressively wants it, and if you are as pro-peace as you claim you should know that. What should we do next, ask Putin which borders he disagrees with and then give him the green light?

On Gibraltar, incidentally, the Spanish themselves had expelled the original population from North Africa, who had arrived 500 years earlier, and held it for only around 250 years. A bit different to the Isle of Dogs. Before handing them back to Spain, this might be a good read?
Is it anti-English or just plain true that owning a third of the worlds land mass like you used to do is not entirely compatible with the idea that you very much respect sovereignity?

To me it makes a lot of sense that country borders, if we necessarily need to have them, should have some kind geographical basis - in which case Gibraltar belonging to Britain is just absurd. If 500k people from Spain suddenly moved to Brighton and wanted it to be Spanish, would you be fine with transferring it to Spain?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That was a rubbish game imo :shrug:
There was something on tv in the background, but I've been listening to records and flicking through slides . . .as you do. . . 🙄

Attachments

• C7398269-42AB-42E7-A55E-9DB9F692C6BC.jpeg
    C7398269-42AB-42E7-A55E-9DB9F692C6BC.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 30

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If 500k people from Spain suddenly moved to Brighton and wanted it to be Spanish, would you be fine with transferring it to Spain?
I won’t have any issue. When can this be arranged?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Think it was ok tbh. Not too many goal chances but a good midfield battle.
Fair enough but the excitement was minimal, I am only interested in being entertained, I wasn’t

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Is it anti-English or just plain true that owning a third of the worlds land mass like you used to do is not entirely compatible with the idea that you very much respect sovereignity?

To me it makes a lot of sense that country borders, if we necessarily need to have them, should have some kind geographical basis - in which case Gibraltar belonging to Britain is just absurd. If 500k people from Spain suddenly moved to Brighton and wanted it to be Spanish, would you be fine with transferring it to Spain?
Firstly it is British, not English. They are different. So maybe you are anti-British then? But then you obviously converse in English (another colonial relic, one you seem to like though) on an English football website so now I’m confused.

Secondly you can’t just re-write history as if it’s all happening now. What happened in terms of the Empire was a long time ago, the last few generations have unpicked a lot of that as you well know. GT49 answered you earlier on this.

It makes sense as you say on country borders but not if the population remaining have no desire for the change you are forcing on them. Your plans to change borders based purely on geography and not history are a bit naive. Both matter. Plenty of borders are disputed even when the countries join. Plenty of islands are disputed. Most of our former Empire has been give back independence or asked what it wants, there is no force involved but would be required if your mad professor plans were given sway.

Putin has his eyes on Gotland, because of its strategic position. And can find plenty of reasons to justify his claim. When he lands, I’ll note that as long as it makes some sense geographically it’s ok with you.

Pro-peace? I’ve just about stopped laughing.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Surely he was offside when he took the ball off his teammate?

s

he took the ball off his team mate, it wasn’t passed to him, you answered your own question

Nor was he in an offside position when his teammate last touched the ball anyway, and he was also behind the ball at the time. Much as I would love to see any German goal ruled out, I think we've got to let them have this one!

1669584058734.png

Reactions: A1X

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If 500k people from Spain suddenly moved to Brighton and wanted it to be Spanish, would you be fine with transferring it to Spain?
Only if they brought the weather, food and wine with them.

Which is why Swedish people can f*** right off.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Firstly it is British, not English. They are different. So maybe you are anti-British then? But then you obviously converse in English (another colonial relic, one you seem to like though) on an English football website so now I’m confused.

Secondly you can’t just re-write history as if it’s all happening now. What happened in terms of the Empire was a long time ago, the last few generations have unpicked a lot of that as you well know. GT49 answered you earlier on this.

It makes sense as you say on country borders but not if the population remaining have no desire for the change you are forcing on them. Your plans to change borders based purely on geography and not history are a bit naive. Both matter. Plenty of borders are disputed even when the countries join. Plenty of islands are disputed. Most of our former Empire has been give back independence or asked what it wants, there is no force involved but would be required if your mad professor plans were given sway.

Putin has his eyes on Gotland, because of its strategic position. And can find plenty of reasons to justify his claim. When he lands, I’ll note that as long as it makes some sense geographically it’s ok with you.

Pro-peace? I’ve just about stopped laughing.
Anti-English, anti-British, anti-Swedish, anti-Russian, anti-American, anti-Chinese, anti-Polish... list goes on.

So what happened in terms of the Empire was a long time ago but borders should be based on history (which stretches over.. long time)?
I'm not really forcing any change - I just find it entirely reasonable that Spain wants Gibraltar to be Spanish, given the obvious geographical reasons. I don't hold it against them - which you do (at least when coupled to their attitude in Morocco, but then again same could be said for Morocco vs West Sahara and so forth; countries are often hypocrits in this regard), according to the first post on this thread.

For me the Gibraltarians can be whatever they like but as I said, I don't hold it against Spain that they'd like Gibraltar. Similarly I really wouldn't hold it against Poland or Lithuania if they wanted to have Kaliningrad. Exclaves, in the long term, tend to cause problems when relations between countries aren't the best.

Russia might have justifications to take Gotland... but we got justified reasons to take the entirety of Russia as the Rus people, and hence the name of their country, originated from Roslagen, which is a coast in Sweden.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What a lot of nonsense to talk of these national boundaries which in a globalised world should mean little but people keep going back to like bickering children in the school yard. Why can't people just focus on the real issues , how to we feed 8 billion people through sustainable means and how do we reverse global warming.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a lot of nonsense to talk of these national boundaries which in a globalised world should mean little but people keep going back to like bickering children in the school yard. Why can't people just focus on the real issues , how to we feed 8 billion people through sustainable means and how do we reverse global warming.
Or better still - talk about Germany v Spain in a cuffing World Cup thread.

Textbook NSC :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here