Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Germans THREATEN us with a TRADE war if we LEAVE the EC

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Even if there is a negative side of exiting, due to factors which are absolutely impossible to call, I am beginning to believe that we 'might' be better off out !

Like most things, even currently the junior doctors strike, we never have sufficent reliable information (facts) to come to any conclusion.

Accordingly I wait, perhaps in vain, for a balanced argument on the situation but I acknowledge that will have to be after finalisation of any deal which is when I will finally decide.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i dont suppose its worth mentioning Germany would be unable to discriminate against us if we left the EU
They must adhere to international signed agreements according to the WTO. They cant make us pay extra tariffs above other countries that also trade with them who are also outside the EU.
Makes a good Mail headline i suppose and gives the Pro EU camp a chance to scare people.......but hey who wants facts when scaremongering will do

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The EU is the latest incarnation of "Mitteleuropa", the pre-WW1 German dream of controlling Europe economically. Can't fault their persistence, can you? I'm out (I hope).

..resurrected immediately post 1945, when their dreams of total political control lay in ruins and now, successfully controlled by them, in its entirety. We have allowed them to build up this monumental position of strength and now they call all the shots and we are just puppets.
We pour billions into the coffers of a corrupt organisation that purports to offer solidarity but continues to strengthen Germany against all others. Politicians and civil servants love it because it is a bureaucratic gravy train, offering salaries and pensions beyond their wildest dreams. We live in fear of reprisal from France and Germany, our two biggest bedfellows, instead of showing the confidence to forge stronger ties with the USA and the Far East, where all the business growth is.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
..resurrected immediately post 1945, when their dreams of total political control lay in ruins and now, successfully controlled by them, in its entirety. We have allowed them to build up this monumental position of strength and now they call all the shots and we are just puppets.
We pour billions into the coffers of a corrupt organisation that purports to offer solidarity but continues to strengthen Germany against all others. Politicians and civil servants love it because it is a bureaucratic gravy train, offering salaries and pensions beyond their wildest dreams. We live in fear of reprisal from France and Germany, our two biggest bedfellows, instead of showing the confidence to forge stronger ties with the USA and the Far East, where all the business growth is.

Good post.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
i dont suppose its worth mentioning Germany would be unable to discriminate against us if we left the EU
They must adhere to international signed agreements according to the WTO. They cant make us pay extra tariffs above other countries that also trade with them who are also outside the EU.
Makes a good Mail headline i suppose and gives the Pro EU camp a chance to scare people.......but hey who wants facts when scaremongering will do

I'm sorry, could you just clarify how this ersatz row created by the Mail (Next week's headline: "Bus found on Moon") provides the Pro-EU camp a chance to scare people? It is exactly the other way round - a Mail-driven attempt by the Outers to suggest that the nasty Hun are attacking Britain, just like all the other foreigners who hate us.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The scarey thing is people do read and Mail and believe what they read...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I think that can be said of many newspapers. The Mail seems to be the only one that gets regularly slated, probably because it comes across as the most outrageous.
On balance if you take into account newspapers, online and the news the pro camp has the lions share.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I think that can be said of many newspapers. The Mail seems to be the only one that gets regularly slated, probably because it comes across as the most outrageous.
On balance if you take into account newspapers, online and the news the pro camp has the lions share.

By 'Pro camp' do you mean pro leaving or pro staying? BBC and ITV news are required by statute to be neutral and, although both sides routinely claim they are not, they generally are. Newspapers are heavily biased against staying, especially when circulations are factored in. The Sun, Mail, Express and Telegraph are furiously anti-EU, The Times less so but still on balance following the Murdoch Atlanticist line. Only the Mirror, Guardian and expiring Independent seem sympathetic towards the EU (which probably strengthens the theory - wrong in my view - that the EU debate is a left/right issue).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I think that demonstrates how we have an unbalanced print media. Thankfully we do have OFCOM which does regulate broadcast media towards a more balanced view.

That said the Tories would quite like something similar to Berlusconi Italy with a Fox News twist if they are allowed to get away with it

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Only the Mirror, Guardian and expiring Independent seem sympathetic towards the EU (which probably strengthens the theory - wrong in my view - that the EU debate is a left/right issue).

The FT is pro-EU too (which does muddy the right/left waters a bit). And the Indy called for a continuation of the Tory-led coalition last election, so it's not left-leaning either

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The FT is pro-EU too (which does muddy the right/left waters a bit). And the Indy called for a continuation of the Tory-led coalition last election, so it's not left-leaning either

Sorry, forgot about the FT. And I missed the fact that the Independent supported the Government at the election, which shows it lived up to its name. I'd still think that its readership is left-leaning though.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

equally scary is people using readership or not of the daily mail as a yardstick for political sophistication or social awareness.

this obsession with what paper people read shows that Britain is still hamstrung by class. its just a bit more interesting and three dimensional than the cleese barker corbett dynamic, nowadays.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/04/hating-the-daily-mail-is-a-substitute-for-doing-good/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here