Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Osborne,does he have a point ?

Feb 3, 2013
No, he doesn't have a point, as families of that size are extreme examples of playing the welfare system. To link child deaths to perceived generous welfare benefits shows just how nasty the tory scum really are.

If they hadn't tried to burn down their house to try and gain an even bigger house then those kids would be alive.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think we all know of few families that pump out more kids than they can afford...to you know...cough cough...claim child benefits!

I don't.

So no debate on the rights and wrongs of our welfare system?

Osbourne is not looking for a debate, merely wants to dismantle the whole thing so he doesn't have to pay more tax.

As others have implied, the benefit system did not make Philpott into a controlling violent freak. He was that already, hence the fact he has already served time for what he did to a former girlfriend and her mum.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
awful timing and i dont like him but how many have actually listened to what was said. i mean actually listened?

I think there is a question for government and for society about the welfare state - and the taxpayers who pay for the welfare state - subsidising lifestyles like that, and I think that debate needs to be had

so, to those who are against, are we saying we shouldnt discuss this matter? just accept it and move on? i suppose we could just take an attitude of give'm something to live on and leave them to stew in their own juice, leave them on the sink estates and forget about it.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
awful timing and i dont like him but how many have actually listened to what was said. i mean actually listened?

so, to those who are against, are we saying we shouldnt discuss this matter? just accept it and move on? i suppose we could just take an attitude of give'm something to live on and leave them to stew in their own juice, leave them on the sink estates and forget about it.

I think the main criticism is the timing.

As for the debate, I thought that already had taken place hence the welfare reforms including the nasty bedroom tax that was implemented this week.

Subsiding Lifestyles!! The biggest parasites for subsidised lifestyles are the politicians and the corpses in the Lords.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It's not awful timing because Osbourne has chosen to use this case to argue a point. And by using the welfare debate he is implying that Philpott is a product of the welfare system and in doing that, tarriing those on benefits with the same brush.

There is already a debate on the welfare system brought about by the changes that the coalition have already brought in.

So, by all means discuss the pros and cons of the welfare system but don't use Philpott as an exhibit number one.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So no debate on the rights and wrongs of our welfare system?

Yes there is a need to debate the welfare system. However it is only ever used to deflect attention away from the real issues affecting the country.

There is too much playing on people's preconceptions about the welfare state and very little in the way of progressive change or real debate about how the welfare state is managed.

Reading yesterday's evening standard I discovered that 47% of welfare benefits are paid to pensioners... Not the workshy layabouts or immigrants that have been the target of the debate for the last few weeks...

This isn't something anyone seems keen to debate on. Gideon doesn't want to take up BBC screen time or Daily Mail column inches debating whether pensioners should be means tested to see if they need the pension/benefits they receive. Much better to stir up some hatred and mistrust, than focus on where the money is being spent and a whether there is anything that could be done to make the whole system fairer.

The next largest group are people receiving working tax credits. In other words the individuals who can be arsed to get a job even though it doesn't pay them enough to live on without state assistance. This group would appear to be the stereotype that everyone agrees should be getting the help... However this is another group that will be negatively affected by the current "overhaul" of the welfare system.

I genuinely wish that the political parties would stop using the welfare state as an ideological playground.
The fact that the current changes are being pushed through by a coalition government and not just the nasty party is proof of how spineless all politicians are...

In opposition the Liberals would have been arguing against these policies much more vehemently than any of the labour MPs. The Lib party have well and truly sold their soul.... I can't see them coming back from this.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He really doesn't have a point. Philpot was a scumbag way before this final, tragic incident. Benefits has nothing to do with it. The bloke was a controlling, sex obsessed, psychopathic, pikey google. End of story.

Here is a slant though. Who in their right mind is going to employ the convicted star of Jeremy Kyle? If he'd turned up for an interview the chances are he'd have done so in a Derby shirt stinking. One of his previous convictions was for attacking a collegue. Given he was unemployable and had a lot of children he HAD to be on benefits. As much as many may find him undeserving his kids had to eat and have shelter. Surely no one is going to argue that the state starving and freezing his children is more moral than him burning them?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
£26b on trident, billions more tax goes straight to international bankers for interest on gov loans.......but the rags keep pushing its the welfare system that is the problem........

....and ...........people believe it!!

RAHAAHAHAHAAAAAA

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
It's not awful timing because Osbourne has chosen to use this case to argue a point. And by using the welfare debate he is implying that Philpott is a product of the welfare system and in doing that, tarriing those on benefits with the same brush.

There is already a debate on the welfare system brought about by the changes that the coalition have already brought in.

So, by all means discuss the pros and cons of the welfare system but don't use Philpott as an exhibit number one.
he was asked fhe question wbether the philpotts were a product of tbe benefit system , and he answered that there needs to be a discussion whether these sort of lifesgyles should e funded , whicb there does , because they shouldn't.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Probably the most cynical and disgusting peice of political opportunism in my lifetime, I think and hope that it will backfire big time, children died for Christ sake and all that idiot can do is make a point that he was on benefits.
Its worse than that labour woman saying its a good day to announce unpopular policy the day that Diana died.

Agreed. As you say all parties are guilty of it, but this sinks to a new low. He wasn't the only one either.

Shocking.

How on earth does he think it is appropriate to link these children's death with the need to cut the welfare budget.

Dandyman

In London village.
Probably the most cynical and disgusting peice of political opportunism in my lifetime, I think and hope that it will backfire big time, children died for Christ sake and all that idiot can do is make a point that he was on benefits.
Its worse than that labour woman saying its a good day to announce unpopular policy the day that Diana died.

This - I thought it would be hard to regard Gideon with any more contempt than I already did but his comments clearly show what an odious little scumbag he is.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
To use Gorgeous Gideon's analogy,whereby since Philpot was an evil criminal all those on benefits must be, therefore, all politicians are thieving criminals because some MPs went to prison for fiddling their expenses!

Dandyman

In London village.
If they hadn't tried to burn down their house to try and gain an even bigger house then those kids would be alive.

The houseburning was to set up one of his victims of domestic abuse that had managed to escape from him. Your comments are beyond contempt.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So we should cut inheritance allowance as well then!?

If you didn't get as much through inheritance then Stephen Seddon wouldn't have murdered his parents for his inheritance would he?

Blaming welfare for this idiots actions is truly laughable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here