Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] George Floyd trial

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
This also happened recently. Apparently even wearing the uniform of your country doesn't mean you're not terrified of losing your life to some of these tooled up nutjobs. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56696345

Screenshot_20210415-074549~2.png

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This also happened recently. Apparently even wearing the uniform of your country doesn't mean you're not terrified of losing your life to some of these tooled up nutjobs. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56696345

to be brutally honest an overweight ,dim witted copper pulls over a service man and decides for no apparent reason to mace the **** out of his head , at least he didn't shoot him but for **** sake what is wrong with the system in America where Mr .potatopeople are turned lose with firearms to police people who aren't really doing anything wrong ......??

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

There are so many nasty bullies in the US police. It’s the bad parts of the whole culture of much of America (arrogance, controlling, non-empathetic) that seems to come out in all these bellends.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just 10 miles down the road from where this trial is taking place, this happened...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/13/us/daunte-wright-taser-gun.html

Makes for pretty shocking reading.

From the description of body camera and audio that sounds like it could well have been a genuine mistake tbh. Of course we’d need full facts and footage. Of course, t he fact he’s black and officer is white has nothing to do with it as this stage as far as we know, but is jumped straight on. Best to wait and see before bringing such horrendous claims into it in my opinion. Very sad story regardless.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
From the description of body camera and audio that sounds like it could well have been a genuine mistake tbh. Of course we’d need full facts and footage. Of course, t he fact he’s black and officer is white has nothing to do with it as this stage as far as we know, but is jumped straight on. Best to wait and see before bringing such horrendous claims into it in my opinion. Very sad story regardless.

Fecking great big mistake to make though, eh.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
note the video of Floyd being arrested a previous time not been discussed . Massive pain in the arse wasnt he.

Doesnt justify if the officer gets found guilty but the history with this character is there to see.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
note the video of Floyd being arrested a previous time not been discussed . Massive pain in the arse wasnt he.

Doesnt justify if the officer gets found guilty but the history with this character is there to see.
Regardless of his, or anyones history, they don't derserve to have a police man kneel on his neck and kill him. He was still on his neck 2 minutes odd, after they couldn't find a pulse.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Fecking great big mistake to make though, eh.

If I were to put myself in her position. After she shot him she said " I just shot him "

Putting myself in that position. If I shot him by mistake. I think I I might have said " Oh shit. I have just shot him " . Or " oh my god, I just shot him. "

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Floyd was quickly pacified and restrained, he posed no danger.

His past by that point was completely irrelevant.

As several law and order expert witnesses have stated in the stand, including a senior detective in the Minneapolis force for 35 years, once handcuffed, the number one responsibility of Chauvin was a duty of care towards Chauvin.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If I were to put myself in her position. After she shot him she said " I just shot him "

Putting myself in that position. If I shot him by mistake. I think I I might have said " Oh shit. I have just shot him " . Or " oh my god, I just shot him. "

Directly copied from that NYTimes article I posted earlier:

A clip of Officer Potter’s body camera video released by the Brooklyn Center Police Department shows the police trying to handcuff Mr. Wright before he lurches suddenly back into his car. The video then shows Officer Potter’s arm aiming a weapon as her voice shouts “Taser! Taser! Taser!” on the audio.

She fires one round, Mr. Wright groans in pain and Officer Potter can then be heard to cry, “Holy shit, I just shot him.”

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Its not confined to the Afro American population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Kelly_Thomas

Beggars belief that the police officers were acquitted.

For me, the battle against injustice has always been primarily one of class and not race. Police brutality in black countries illustrates this point well enough.

However, the historical context of the USA means that race will always be a major factor too.

That story you linked is absolutely tragic. Like you say, beggars belief that the police officers were acquitted.

Edit: On reflection, I should add more detail really. My tendency to prioritise class over race probably comes from my own lived experience.

In truth, I feel, Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw and her theory of Intersectionality actually hits the nail bang on the head when all said and done.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the late George Floyd is not on trial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here