Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George and the budget

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
a short story about my daughters plight
she lost her job about 18 months ago, it was only a small job with very little pay, she lost it because
a) she found it increasingly difficult to lift (she has had several jobs in the past where she has been left to lift old people around in a nursing home (this while others sat and sipped tea or just did not bother to turn up for work) and damaged her back and wrists.
b) her employers did not want to take the risk of her damaging herself or the people she worked with
c) her contract was about to run out and they had found someone younger and fitter(and cheaper on the bare minimum wage)

Very sorry to hear about your daughter's plight. Not sure I agree, though, with your finger pointing purely at the Government. Think you will find most of the cause of her losing her job in this situation is greedy insurance claimants and the ambulance chasing legal parasites who egg them on! And I believe the explosion in personal injury claims started under the last Government.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ed Miliband is not a credible politician. He is an overgrown politics student given some coaching in how to regurgitate populist soundbites.

I think that a lot of people couldn't give a flying fig about a small downgrade in the AAA rating. Or what price George Osborne paid for his train ticket. Or the fact the Evening Standard chose to run the leaked Budget before it was announced. Or the fineries of whether more tax is raised with a 45% or 50% rate for "millionaires". Or the fact Osborne got booed at the Paralympics.

This is all guff spouted by Red Ed who, unsurprisingly, had little to say about an 8% corporation tax cut, or a £10,000 Personal Allowance, or a £2,000 cut in the cost of Employer's NI for every employer - all things New Labour never came close to achieving.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
what a bizarre point of view. how are franchises responsible for how the franchisee runs their day to day operations and interacts with thier employees. are you suggesting they only recruit ruthless hard arse barstewards? the statutary rights and benefits are the same as any other employee, and many other companies can give short shift too. the parent might be geared to exporting cash elsewhere, but if the franchisee is making profit they'll pay tax. seems odd to pick on this one type of business model and treat them with such a broad brush, especially since many are one man bands. also seems odd, as another poster does, to basically be saying "these jobs aren't good enough". that'll help (no, thats what leads to long term unemployment).

also, the objection to bonus capping is an outside authority regulating an industry. whats going to be next one? Estate agents? car sales? marketing executives? web design contractors? shop workers? no, not a 100% bonus cap, but any bonus, or even pay. why single out bankers, it wouldnt have the effect desired anyway, because the banker doesnt need to make a profit to get their bonus now. still got to keep their jobs ahead of others... risk profile just went up.

Paragraph one of your reply, I have good knowledge of franchised business's and it seems the majority are run pretty much as I said.

Paragraph two of your reply, that was an example of the polarisation in society now, plus I'm struggling to think of any other profession that would regularly be earning 100% + of salary as a bonus.. George objected to bankers bonuses being LIMITED to just 100% of salary. Wouldn't it have been nice if everybody in a bank got 20% of salary as a bonus if the company has made money ? Anyway, that's beside the point as many workers have no chance of earning ANY bonus of any kind which is my point once again on the polarisation of our society.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Clowns to left, jokers to the right..gobbledygook from all.. when you look at it, all of them are public schoolboys roll playing a political situation..Has there ever been a political era with so much indecision, spin and general ineptness from all concerned.

This. They are all useless, at the moment the Tories are a little less useless.

I'm not sure what people were expecting, this thread is just a chance for all the people stuck in 60s 70s 80s politics to shout nasty Tories rah rah rah. It's all bollocks, we are locked into a monetary system where banks and corporations rule the world and it doesn't make a jot of difference if the red public schoolboys or the blue public schoolboys are in charge.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Except that it DOES make a difference whether a Chancellor chooses to charge VAT at 15% or 20%, whether you get £2,000 Employer's NI cut or not, whether you get £1,200 off childcare per child or not, whether corporation tax goes up or down by a few %.

I run a small business and all of these variances make the difference between me hiring, firing, investing or cutting back, going on holiday or not going on holiday etc.

D

Deleted member 22389

All I keep hearing from Labour is the following
"The government has got it wrong", "The plan is not working"

Well if it's not working Labour, please fing tell me what you would have done today?

I don't think the budget was that bad. There is something in it for employers, first time buyers, low paid workers and child care. I can't see anything wrong with that.

Labour should stick to something they are good at, mass immigration.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
whatever it was it was more than the banks left us

No it was no money left on a note. The banks will made to pay lets hope we make more when we sell them and give them some of there on medicine. But the banks had been shafting us for years.:censored:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... plus I'm struggling to think of any other profession that would regularly be earning 100% + of salary as a bonus.. George objected to bankers bonuses being LIMITED to just 100% of salary.

you miss the point of the objection: that the regulation of a salary cap should be imposed at all. its a power grab by Brussels to reduce our influence on broader world economics. what industry or jobs will go for next?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Had genuinely forgotten about the budget due to getting too wound up about the "Gus to Reading" speculation.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ed Miliband is not a credible politician. He is an overgrown politics student given some coaching in how to regurgitate populist soundbites.

I think that a lot of people couldn't give a flying fig about a small downgrade in the AAA rating. Or what price George Osborne paid for his train ticket. Or the fact the Evening Standard chose to run the leaked Budget before it was announced. Or the fineries of whether more tax is raised with a 45% or 50% rate for "millionaires". Or the fact Osborne got booed at the Paralympics.

This is all guff spouted by Red Ed who, unsurprisingly, had little to say about an 8% corporation tax cut, or a £10,000 Personal Allowance, or a £2,000 cut in the cost of Employer's NI for every employer - all things New Labour never came close to achieving.
Whilst I agree with the general disdain for Ed Milliband, I'm not sure how you can describe an 8% corporation tax cut as "an achievement" when as things stand, this government is STILL spending £100 for every £81 raised in tax. I thought this government was all for austerity? What are they doing scrapping a tax on financial share trading?

I absolutely hate the Tories in government, but there's no mistaking the fact that Labour are a shower of sh#t at the moment and completely unelectable. Ed Milliband sounds like a schoolboy talking underwater. You can't take him seriously.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
you miss the point of the objection: that the regulation of a salary cap should be imposed at all. its a power grab by Brussels to reduce our influence on broader world economics. what industry or jobs will go for next?

You miss the point, George leaps to defend his already well paid fellow Old Etonians their extraordinary bonus's, not their pay.

Maybe you are right, next week it will be John Lewis's payment of a 17% bonus to all staff.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whilst I agree with the general disdain for Ed Milliband, I'm not sure how you can describe an 8% corporation tax cut as "an achievement" when as things stand, this government is STILL spending £100 for every £81 raised in tax.

OK, I take your point. It's certainly a gutsy move though - the 28% rate is the big business rate, so he's offering them a carrot by reducing it by 8% but he's also promising to get tough on the Starbucks and Amazons of this world that pay **** all corporation tax. Moreover, we've never had tax so flat - 20% basic rate for income tax and now all companies. That and a £10,000 personal allowance means tax has just got a little bit easier to understand.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
8% corporation tax cut, or a £10,000 Personal Allowance, or a £2,000 cut in the cost of Employer's NI for every employer.

1: The 8% cut is for large companies only, unless yours is making profits of £1.5 million a year then it does not affect you...............or 98% of companies.
2: Increasing the personal allowance is fine, (but does not come in for another 13 months) but the allowance for NI contributions (which is income tax wearing a false beard and glasses) still starts at £5,725, so people are paying tax at a much lower threshold than the stated £10,000.
3: The £2,000 cut is beneficial, but will be partly swallowed up by increases in business rates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here