Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George and the budget

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Nothing he does will make a difference now. We have a divided society between the Haves and the Have no Chances, It's minimum wage and be grateful for most of us. Overtime ? no chance, well, only paid at ordinary time or time off in lieu. Bonuses ? only for those at the top end of the company, remember George does not want to limit bonuses to 100% of wages. I'd love to think that the cashiers at Natwest might get a bonus of 100% but no, they will be told they are lucky to have a job.

Too many companies are franchises and as such run businesses with a ruthless efficiency with little or no representation for employee's who are little more than slave labour. Often there are very few benefits or rights for staff, annual pay rises are not part of contracts and sick pay and extra payment for working bank Holidays is discretionary. Often these business's are highly geared to getting profits out of the country to avoid tax in a way that the franchisee's can make pots of cash asap.

Apparently, there has never been higher employment rates yet still very few people have any money apart from the few? Prices for utilities, food and petrol carry on rising, I myself had not had an increase in pay for 4 years and in that time petrol has risen from 85p L to £1.35 L

Today I heard on BBC Radio Sussex that DFS advertised for staff in a new shop in Eastbourne and received 900 applications for 10 positions. Needless to say, these will be on or about minimum wage most probably and those 10 successful applicants will be made to feel lucky to have those jobs.

Cameron's oft quoted catchphrase is " those willing to work hard and get on should be supported by this government...." but David, everybody is working hard to at best, stand still, but mostly slip further behind as wages freeze and inflation eats in to peoples small savings.

We are well down the road to hell in that hand cart and today, will be a further shove down the slope.

great post :thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
1p off a pint
Nice one Gideon. They must have had such a laugh discussing that move. Will save the average hardworking family about 28p a year but will get some positive press out of all proportion...

Still, at least they've scrapped a tax for people trading financial shares.

We're all in it together.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is the best budget in years.

£10K Personal Allowance from April 2014, 20% corporation tax rate, £2,000 Employer Allowance against Employer's Class 1 NI, 1p off a pint, new loan scheme for housebuyers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"I can't understand an opposition who don't want to listen to their own leader" says the speaker.

No one in the country wants to listen to the current leader of the opposition.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nice one Gideon. They must have had such a laugh discussing that move. Will save the average hardworking family about 28p a year but will get some positive press out of all proportion...

Still, at least they've scrapped a tax for people trading financial shares.

We're all in it together.

You're ignoring the bit where he scrapped the alcohol duty escalator on beer completely I note.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ed Miliband is an idiot. "More of the same" he keep repeating. Yet the Employer's £2,000 Allowance will mean that my company will immediately be £2K better off. In reality that translates into new computer screens and more spend on staff training, i.e. the sorts of expenditure I'd like to be making now if the tax burden wasn't so high because of the economic collapse.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
god, they're all so childish. Why is there no order, or professionalism. How can a group of idiots who just boo n jeer whoever is talking lead this country.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"I can't understand an opposition who don't want to listen to their own leader" says the speaker.

No one in the country wants to listen to the current leader of the opposition.

...including Radio 4 it seems. They gave him a minute or so and have gone off to get some decent response to Gorgeous George's budget.

Poor old Ed. He really is piss poor.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You're ignoring the bit where he scrapped the alcohol duty escalator on beer completely I note.
To be honest it's all bollocks.

Same old Tory tax cuts for millionaires are all you need to know about this budget.

The Deputy Speaker is a complete knob.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

but don't you see he is looking to the future
all those who will lose their jobs homes relationships(bit like the last time really)
they will have something to comfort them while living on the streets
beer a whole 1p cheaper
whoopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hang on a minute I don't drink.............................................yet

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
...including Radio 4 it seems. They gave him a minute or so and have gone off to get some decent response to Gorgeous George's budget.

Poor old Ed. He really is piss poor.

He is bloody awful. Any half decent opposition leader would have had the tories against the ropes for the past year. Bring back his bad brother.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Too many companies are franchises and as such run businesses with a ruthless efficiency with little or no representation for employee's who are little more than slave labour. Often there are very few benefits or rights for staff, annual pay rises are not part of contracts and sick pay and extra payment for working bank Holidays is discretionary. Often these business's are highly geared to getting profits out of the country to avoid tax in a way that the franchisee's can make pots of cash asap.

what a bizarre point of view. how are franchises responsible for how the franchisee runs their day to day operations and interacts with thier employees. are you suggesting they only recruit ruthless hard arse barstewards? the statutary rights and benefits are the same as any other employee, and many other companies can give short shift too. the parent might be geared to exporting cash elsewhere, but if the franchisee is making profit they'll pay tax. seems odd to pick on this one type of business model and treat them with such a broad brush, especially since many are one man bands. also seems odd, as another poster does, to basically be saying "these jobs aren't good enough". that'll help (no, thats what leads to long term unemployment).

also, the objection to bonus capping is an outside authority regulating an industry. whats going to be next one? Estate agents? car sales? marketing executives? web design contractors? shop workers? no, not a 100% bonus cap, but any bonus, or even pay. why single out bankers, it wouldnt have the effect desired anyway, because the banker doesnt need to make a profit to get their bonus now. still got to keep their jobs ahead of others... risk profile just went up.

D

Deleted member 22389

Ed Miliband is an idiot. "More of the same" he keep repeating. Yet the Employer's £2,000 Allowance will mean that my company will immediately be £2K better off. In reality that translates into new computer screens and more spend on staff training, i.e. the sorts of expenditure I'd like to be making now if the tax burden wasn't so high because of the economic collapse.

That's all he says doesn't he. "More of the same" that man is so bloody irritating. The Labour party speaks for nobody. I hate them all.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
There's one thing for sure, the more tories that are telling us that Ed Milliband is 'an idiot, 'clueless' etc, the better job he's doing.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here