Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
OK CHAPS

This is sent out to all the NSC photo community, lets see what is your favourite image that you've shot. Hobbyist, Semi Pro, Pro etc

This is probably my favourite photo, it was taken with an iphone a few months ago, it's noisy as hell, but man does it capture the atmosphere.

9f895fc4a30811e2b74c22000a9f1427_7.jpg

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Nice one, was up at the Devils dyke about a month ago for a sea mist that drifted in similar feel love it.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Although I did my degree in photography, and worked in photography magazines for many years, I've never actually earned a living by taking pictures. I don't know what category that places me in.

Anyway, this is one of my all-time favourite pictures. He's a local character in a fishing village in northeast Scotland, where I was shooting stills for a friend's film.

DJbobby low res.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
ISO is like film speed, essentially it is the sensitivity of the Sensor. The higher the ISO number, the more sensitive the sensor, which means that you're shutter speed and aperture do not need to be as fast/wide. The problem is that higher ISOs produce more noise, the best ISO to stick with is ISO 200 (as you're using nikon) as it means that you get maximum detail in both the shadows and highlights. Usually you will need to bump up the ISO if you are in low-light situations, such as being indoors, or in the evening, however if you use a tripod, you'll be ok because you can use a slow shutter speed to compensate for the low-light. Changing your ISO should be the last resort after changing your shutter speed and aperture to compensate for the light, so if you find that after adjusting Aperture and Shutter speed you still can't get a sharp photo (hand-held) then you'll either have to use a tripod or increase your ISO.

Hope that makes sense :lol:
That's the sort of explanation I like. Layman's language and short and sweet. Very useful. Thanks very much.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I haven't had an SLR since owning, and loving my Pentax SFX... very tempted by a D7100... how are you getting on with it? And would you recommend it?
Did a bit of research and the reviews are mostly excellent. It doesn't have a flip-out screen but the spec is very high. I discovered this on-line store, and the goods come in no time and cheaper than anywhere.
http://www.eglobaldigitalstore.co.uk/?gclid=CLbM6vDjmrkCFWXKtAodR3gA8Q
I paid £ 719.00 for my body, charger etc. Very, very pleased.
It does all sorts of things compared to the D80, but not being an expert I can only say I'm thrilled to bits with it personally.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Golden Building.jpg

Golden sunset on Building.

Walked out of Embankment tube station and saw this, as shot no processing, slight crop.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Trying to do this from an ipad so it may fail. Here's one of mine from the NFL game at Wembley last year.
image.jpg

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was hoping to tweak some of my wedding photos in Lightroom and then have them converted into prints by using an online service. However, having (with difficulty) made some adjustments to one of the pics, I was surprised that an 8mb shot from the camera became a 660kb jpeg exported from Lightroom. Have I dropped an enormous goolie somewhere?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here