Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Love this time of year when the trees haven’t all there leaves and you have a mixture of colours contrasting against the wood....helps with a bit of sun too.

View attachment 122653

Indeed it does. There is some lovely tree flower colour about and has been for a couple of weeks. Cherries and Magnolias are the stars and soon it will be the turn of Mountain Ashes and Chestnuts. Trees which flower before the leaves come out are always stunning.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Indeed it does. There is some lovely tree flower colour about and has been for a couple of weeks. Cherries and Magnolias are the stars and soon it will be the turn of Mountain Ashes and Chestnuts. Trees which flower before the leaves come out are always stunning.

These caught my eye yesterday

0DE05ECC-E93E-4F2D-9992-B2B8C83C2DAD.jpeg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Popped back onto NSC to post something in C19 thread.
Thought I should add a pic on here while I was logged on!
Bearded Vulture in the mountains of Spain taken just before the lockdown

attachment.php

Great to see a post from you again Kneon. Hope all is well. Another corking photo. You have been missed.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

attachment.php

A Oh. There he is, back with a bang and another great shot.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

attachment.php

I only come on this thread to view the fantastic photographs that are posted.......this one is stunning.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Rhododendron ponticum is one of the loveliest non-native invasive plants we have here.

i am going to use that quote next time i speak to my offspring .

on a more sensible note what defines a native species does it have to have been here before a certain time?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
i am going to use that quote next time i speak to my offspring .

on a more sensible note what defines a native species does it have to have been here before a certain time?

I'm interested in how you would use that quote to your offspring, especially if it's in a non-horticultural context! :lolol:

Non-native just means that it's not indigenous so would have to have come from another land at some point in time. No time limit. Basically, it was never there before it was introduced.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm interested in how you would use that quote to your offspring, especially if it's in a non-horticultural context! :lolol:

Non-native just means that it's not indigenous so would have to have come from another land at some point in time. No time limit. Basically, it was never there before it was introduced.

If we look at the animal kingdom then when the icecap melted a lot of animals came across the land bridge from Europe. Many/all/some would have been new so would they now also be defined as invasive. Dormice were brought here by the Romans , pretty sure rabbits came with the Normans. I am sure same thing happened with plants , including the Rose which these days is seen as English as can be.

I just find it an interesting concept. Migration is what happens as a continual process so we now see some creatures we probably would not have seen 50 years ago e.g. Hummingbird Hawk moth.

I understand the need to identify where and when things came here and to identify threats e.g. japanese knotweed but sure when and how things become native and whether there is a line drawn in the sand as a base point.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IMG_20200518_121042.jpg

Took this shot about a week before UK lockdown, on my Generation Easyjet mini-break to Innsbruck. Still shudder when I think about it. Was only there for two full days. Saved going up that hill for the second day on account of Accuweather. Then when I got there earlydoors they were waiting on the findings of the Avalanche Commission. Yup, that's an actual thing. Took three hours. Squeezed into a corner of the first cable car type thing that was running up that hill. Me and about a hundred other people, ninety nine of whom were properly dressed for the occasion. If I was ever going to catch the C word, it would have been right there, right then. But then you somehow live to randomly live another day. Really love this photo, for all sorts of reasons

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If we look at the animal kingdom then when the icecap melted a lot of animals came across the land bridge from Europe. Many/all/some would have been new so would they now also be defined as invasive. Dormice were brought here by the Romans , pretty sure rabbits came with the Normans. I am sure same thing happened with plants , including the Rose which these days is seen as English as can be.

I just find it an interesting concept. Migration is what happens as a continual process so we now see some creatures we probably would not have seen 50 years ago e.g. Hummingbird Hawk moth.

I understand the need to identify where and when things came here and to identify threats e.g. japanese knotweed but sure when and how things become native and whether there is a line drawn in the sand as a base point.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of it like that. You may have a point. I'll stick to identifying plants!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here