Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No expert, but I'm thinking if you 'know bugger all about photography' you'd be far better off sticking with your phone rather than fannying about with multiple camera settings you have no hope of mastering between now and then, thereby missing much of the experience of seeing that thing you've come all that way to see. Phone upgrade to one with a high spec camera would seem to me to be a far better option.

I'd go a bridge camera, my favourite would be the Canon SX70. Does not fit the pocket though. https://www.google.com/search?q=bes...IHcJMBW0Q9QEwAHoECAcQAw#imgrc=rHN8EoO8J1t1hM:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not the greatest photo in the world or subject matter, taken on my iPhone at my father in laws property on a side river to lake commerce in Michigan on Christmas Eve.

Thats a great photo, it's lost a bit of detail in the shadows of the houses but the colours of the sky and water have been captured superbly.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
IMG_1635.jpg

Zoomed in photo from an iPhone, love that the guys appear to be floating!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Posted this on the cycling geeks page this morning, but thought I would stick it on here too. Yes, its been filtered (I use an app called Snapseed on my A50) but I love the way it turned out.
Taken last week on my way home from work :smile:

IMG_20200205_192638_311.jpg

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm not having a pop here I simply do not know the answer,... Would a enhanced photo be judged the same way as a natural shot?

I only ask this as I went to a exhibition Sunday and the top 5 were all enhanced in some way, some of them looked ridiculously false, amongst the souped up stuff there were some exceptional wildlife photos that people had obviously spent hours and hours in snapping them in the wild with no effects.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm not having a pop here I simply do not know the answer,... Would a enhanced photo be judged the same way as a natural shot?

I only ask this as I went to a exhibition Sunday and the top 5 were all enhanced in some way, some of them looked ridiculously false, amongst the souped up stuff there were some exceptional wildlife photos that people had obviously spent hours and hours in snapping them in the wild with no effects.

I'm no great authority on this, but there are two shooting modes which determine what you can do in the editing suite. JPEG, by which the editing is automatically done in camera, and RAW, which means you capture a digital negative (DNG or NEF file) and then edit your photos with a software programme. Virtually all professional and top amateur photographers shoot in RAW and edit, or enhance their photos. I would assume that most of the photos at the exhibition would have been edited, but the secret is doing it so that you wouldn't know, especially with wildlife photos. Over sharpening is the worst thing for people to do apparently.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Here's our village car park today, the sea has decided to park up overnight FB_IMG_1584014972776.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
2405154839_40df304a90_o.jpg

Despite studying photography for six months, this photo taken ten years ago from my student apartment in Lund is the only time I've thought "this is a nice photo".

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Very nice. My small photography group (six of us meet in the pub once a month) have different topics, and the current one is 'Lockdown'. I've taken quite a few of gates that are normally closed being wedged open for the time being. This would fit nicely.

Perhaps you could take a photo of your closed pub door? :down:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Love this time of year when the trees haven’t all there leaves and you have a mixture of colours contrasting against the wood....helps with a bit of sun too.

DF09F815-93FF-4689-9549-A24A59C0E5D9.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here