Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 46 8.7%

• Total voters

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Holding my nose and voting Lib Dem purely to get the woeful Caroline Ansell (C) out.
It helps that the LD candidate is a local bloke and will be a good MP.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
"Meet the new boss........same as the old boss"

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Spoiling my ballot paper. Haven't decided for who yet. Here's my 2021 PCC decision.

View attachment 182811
When I stood for election in the 90s, one highlight (in my case the only one) was having to review the spoilt papers with the returning officer. These are the ones that she thought were a vote for someone but not a simple mark in the box; people put rings round or underline their choice and the candidates have to agree that it’s a vote for xxxxxx.
She showed us one ballot paper where the voter had written “Smug arsehole” “Specky twat” and “He’s my man” against each of the candidates and asked us to agree that it was a vote for me (although I could, at times fit either of the other descriptions"

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
I’m voting for Sir Peter Bottomley, not because he’s a Tory but because in my experience he’s a compassionate, human being, who cares about all of his constituents whether they voted for him or not.
Bots turns 80 in July I believe, I’m surprised he is not retiring.

I’m in his constituency but won’t be voting for him. Have to look at the maths to determine what is the best chance of getting him removed.

I have not found him to be particularly helpful or interested in the times I have contacted him.

And he’s Tory…

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I said Labour but in 2019, Labour got 10,355 in my constituency whereas the LDs got 10,320 votes. So at this stage I just don't know.
Make sure you check in on https://stopthetories.vote/ close to the big day, as that should be updated with any available polling data.

Beware fake tactical voting sites. It is widely anticipated that CCHQ will try to set up such sites to confuse and diffuse the tactical vote.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Voted LibDem in this poll, as it represents the best chance of unseating our Tory MP (still a long shot). Would vote Green under a different electoral system.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I used to live in a Labour marginal constituency (majority of 562), but the boundary changes mean I haven't a clue who the local favourite is now.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
When I stood for election in the 90s, one highlight (in my case the only one) was having to review the spoilt papers with the returning officer. These are the ones that she thought were a vote for someone but not a simple mark in the box; people put rings round or underline their choice and the candidates have to agree that it’s a vote for xxxxxx.
She showed us one ballot paper where the voter had written “Smug arsehole” “Specky twat” and “He’s my man” against each of the candidates and asked us to agree that it was a vote for me (although I could, at times fit either of the other descriptions"
Was the THE vote for you?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I used to live in a Labour marginal constituency (majority of 562), but the boundary changes mean I haven't a clue who the local favourite is now.
Again... https://stopthetories.vote/

I shall unapologetically repost this many times before 4th July. The clue is in the title. It exists for one purpose and aims to be updated in the lead up to the election. Don't check now, as the data isn't up yet, but bookmark it and check close to the election.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Does that happen in all cases or only when the results are relatively close? I live somewhere where most elections are fairly conclusive so assumed that the abuse I've written on my ballot paper doesn't ever get read.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
West Worthing and I be voting for Becci Cooper a local person who actually cares so a vote for labour can’t wait to see sir Peter voted out
I've met Beccy, and think she'll do a fine job as a MP. Seems very grounded but quietly principled, so I'm hoping she won't be fodder for the whips.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
That's not a given, FWIW I don't want to vote for either, but we do need a big change

the tories will have something up their silk lined sleeves to hoodwink the idiots, and shake off as much damage as they can, without doubt. They're the best dirty fight no chance winners ever . . .when it matters to them

The biggest issue with our system is turnout and stubbornness, which is akin to ignorance . . . . I don't like the system, but if you don't voice any opinion you make it worse . . . Turn up and spoil your paper . . .if 17m did that they'd win . . .that would say a lot more than any politician has in the last 50 years!
However by not voting for any of them, I will be expressing my opinion that none are worthy of receiving my vote.

If the voter turn out is low as a result, it shows that what they are offering are not that popular amongst those eligible to vote (another way of demonstrating an opinion about their policies) and it shows that what they are proposing hasn't connected to, or inspired potential voters to get out there and cast their vote for them.

People going out an voting for the sake of voting will make it seem like they, and their ideas are more popular and better supported than they really are, and they'll take that as evidence of it receiving wide spread support.

They could then use that perceived popularity to pursue policy / policies further, making them more extreme even if in reality the policy /policies are hugely unpopular, even amongst those who ended up voting for them into power, simply because they thought it better to vote for someone (as you and others are suggesting) rather than abstain.

By someone voting for the sake of it, it will even appear that they are backing all of their policies, even those policies to which they are 100% opposed to, simply because they endorsed them by voting for them (all parties may have things included in their manifestos which an individual is opposed to, so by voting for any of them, they will be supporting something they disagree with).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Does that happen in all cases or only when the results are relatively close? I live somewhere where most elections are fairly conclusive so assumed that the abuse I've written on my ballot paper doesn't ever get read.
I have said this before but my other half was a candidate in a local council election, for the Seagulls Party, when we were fighting for the stadium.
All candidates are allowed to take two people into the count with them, but it is not open to the general public.
All spoiled papers are examined in front of the candidates to see if they can be allocated to any of them.
By spoilt papers, it can mean a tick instead of a cross, or a huge X right across the paper covering all of them. A drawing of genitalia, or scribbled abuse of the candidates is also noted.

Every paper has to be accounted for, in every election, which is why the Returning Officer has to say how many spoilt papers there were when announcing the results.
So each candidate will read the spoilt ballot papers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just a spoilt paper with one simple message on.

"STARMER, STOP THE ILLEGAL BOAT CROSSINGS NOW!"
There is no such thing as an illegal boat crossing. You have been deceived. Once the person has landed on the beach and claims asylum, they are legal.
Why do they cross by boat? Because the government closed most of the safe routes except for Hong Kong and Ukraine.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Make sure you check in on https://stopthetories.vote/ close to the big day, as that should be updated with any available polling data.

Beware fake tactical voting sites. It is widely anticipated that CCHQ will try to set up such sites to confuse and diffuse the tactical vote.

Think this is worth a bookmark as well: https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2024/05/britainpredicts

Zoomed in on East Grinstead and Uckfield - their model predicts Conservative hold currently, but Lib Dems are within range. Beware any tactical voting site that doesn't match up to what this modelling suggests, IMO.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I did come over a bit like 'Harry Enfield' when he was talking to his mate in the pub! But I respect your views, TB. With six weeks still to go, there's any number of tactical options when Starmer is just 1/20 with the bookies to be the next Prime Minister.

Who would be childish enough to grow a willy or a pair of tits on their ballot paper? :lolol:
It is my view but it is also International Law 1951 United Nations as signed by Winston Churchill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here