Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was only the European Parliament that ever gave him a job ! And, he fiddled his expenses, failed to attend meetings and voted to leave his employment. Twat of the highest order !
He's openly admitted he is more interested in the USA. I expect grifting is more lucrative over there.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
My favourite line that he has been repeating over the last few hours 'I have got inflation down from the 11% it was when I took this job'. If I was him, I would have given a f***ing good kicking to whatever Chancellor oversaw inflation getting up to 11% in the first place ....... Oh :lolol:
Yes, indeed inflation is falling. But are interest rates? How can you expect to grow the economy when high interest rates act as a disincentive for businesses to borrow, screw smaller existing businesses and stifle the housing market.

So who benefits most from high interest rates? Why, the banks of course. They invest and they lend. So am I really surprised that the BofE is still refusing to reduce interest rates when high interest rates benefit banks the most? Well no.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, indeed inflation is falling. But are interest rates? How can you expect to grow the economy when high interest rates act as a disincentive for businesses to borrow, screw smaller existing businesses and stifle the housing market.

So who benefits most from high interest rates? Why, the banks of course. They invest and they lend. So am I really surprised that the BofE is still refusing to reduce interest rates when high interest rates benefit banks the most? Well no.
a lot to do with £ strength. cut ahead of US and ECB will weaken the £, bringing on new inflation as prices rise on imports. need to see US and ECB cut rates and we'll have rates cut, unless we go well under 2%.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There was interesting stuff from Rory Stewart on 'The Rest is Politics' last night. He said that half a dozen of his friends in cabinet/the tory back benches had let him know that there may be a 'very remarkable number' of their colleagues who haven't yet, but will be announcing that they aren't standing. 65 had already announced this by Monday https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mps-standing-down-next-election-b2549710.html. The surprise calling of the election will put quite a few local parties on the back foot in seeking candidates.

I have to say my personal view of the Tories standing down is they just look like glory hunters. Happy to be a Government MP and win when it was all golden, but now it’s a bit difficult and looks like opposition they’re all chickening out of the hard yards. I can understand it more for long serving ex-ministers and those who have been around for a long time, but most of them aren’t.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have to say my personal view of the Tories standing down is they just look like glory hunters. Happy to be a Government MP and win when it was all golden, but now it’s a bit difficult and looks like opposition they’re all chickening out of the hard yards. I can understand it more for long serving ex-ministers and those who have been around for a long time, but most of them aren’t.
True, though so many will lose their seats it may only be opposition for a few.

Reactions: A1X

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I was wondering where the Tory Election Machine finds those ‘members of the public’ to ask Rishi a leading question rather than call him out for being a slimy little shyster.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
It was only the European Parliament that ever gave him a job ! And, he fiddled his expenses, failed to attend meetings and voted to leave his employment. Twat of the highest order !
democratically elected to the EU Parliament to rail against the 'undemocratic' EU

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
How bored am I already of Tory MPs saying 'no plan', 'back to square one', COVID and 'Putin's invasion of Ukraine'...
Funny how a war we are not involved in harms our economy but one's we were i.e. Iraq / Afghanistan never got a mention

and, quelle suprise, no mention of the 'B' word which IS actually massively harming the economy

albionalba

Durchlaufen!
NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2023
sadly in Scotland
Don't underestimate how important a Labour recovery is in Scotland in order to top up their total number of seats and end up with a decent UK majority. It's a steep hill to climb and this BBC article summarises the challenges. Despite the SNP shambles they will be hard to dislodge and many will continue to blindly vote for them on the single issue of nationalism. Some NSC posters will no doubt be tempted to say f*** them anyway / we don't care (and I have said that sort of thing in the past when voting in England) but that type of thinking only fuels the fire and won't help the UK get to a workable majority.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw44p9x4z02o

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He's openly admitted he is more interested in the USA. I expect grifting is more lucrative over there.

I wanted to say that I have now lost any respect that I ever had for Nigel Farage, but I realise I have never had any for him at all.

my elder daughter had a revision week for her finals in European Studies at Cardiff Universit’s and was home just before the election in May 2005. Nigel Farage was on Question Time, and just abou every disparaging comment he made about European Institutions was met with an “oh no it isn’t” or similar which showed he didn’t know what he was talking about.

and I was for a period a member of the South-East England Regional Assembly on behalf of the Faith Communities before Regional Assemblies were ditched by the conservatives. He just at at the back looking miserable. What was the point?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Funny how a war we are not involved in harms our economy but one's we were i.e. Iraq / Afghanistan never got a mention

and, quelle suprise, no mention of the 'B' word which IS actually massively harming the economy
TBF, the war in Ukraine has had a massive economic impact on Europe as a whole by pushing fuel prices through the roof. This government must be held accountable for all sorts of things but it can’t be denied that Ukraine has caused major economic turbulence everywhere. Iraq and Afghanistan have had big consequences in other ways like immigration but there’s less direct economic impact than Putin cutting off gas supplies.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lego Elvis has developed a rather hilarious habit of saying ‘the Conservative Party will give you a Sir Keir future.’ 😂

All those thousands and thousands of pounds spent on the Prime Minature’s education and he can’t pronounce ‘secure’ correctly! 😂😂

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton

Yeah, forever being told how good Sunak is at all things economic and yet he won't admit that Brexit is a financial clusterf***

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here