Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2019 "up all night" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
That's my constituency. I've been wondering how Sophie Cook running as an independent could hinder Labour's chances.

Having been door knocking her name was not mentioned once however as indipendant Labour it's bound to sow some confusion at the booth, I really don't think it's a helpful move by Sophie.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
My worst election memory was dozing on the sofa in front of the TV in 1987. As a youngish teacher in London the nightmare(imho) of a third term for the govt which made the future as bright and as clear as the black tarmacadam(words courtesy of EC).
I fear the same this time......

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having been door knocking her name was not mentioned once however as indipendant Labour it's bound to sow some confusion at the booth, I really don't think it's a helpful move by Sophie.

It sounds like you're well-placed to know more about the backstory of her not being selected again, but it's difficult to believe she didn't feel aggrieved to some extent or another, and may not feel particularly charitable towards helping Labour's local cause.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Between 2am and 4am when results are coming in thick and fast and pollsters updating their rolling models it never ceases to amaze how many politicians of all sides are still adamant they are going to win when plainly obvious to all and sundry that they ain't got no chance

That's the best entertainment for me - politicians denying the bleeding obvious - "there's still a long way to go - many seats left to declare" - but no-one has told them that its ok to break the party line and start recognising the truth. Priceless TV.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Another one for who it will depend on the Exit Poll. I wasn't planning on staying up in 2017 and then the Exit Poll changed everything.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I managed the all-nighter in 2001. I'd been ill and sleeping non-stop for a few days prior and my body clock was all over the shop. Watched the whole lot from my bleak living room in Horfield in some bizarre half-conscious daze.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's not worth it any more, those bloody Exit polls are so accurate they've completely spoilt it. You get all the differing opinion polls leading up to the Big Day, then at 22:01 the broadcasters announce their exit poll (which I believe is a co-operative effort between them) and that's it. In five of the last six elections they've been absolutely spot on almost to the seat.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It's not worth it any more, those bloody Exit polls are so accurate they've completely spoilt it. You get all the differing opinion polls leading up to the Big Day, then at 22:01 the broadcasters announce their exit poll (which I believe is a co-operative effort between them) and that's it. In five of the last six elections they've been absolutely spot on almost to the seat.

Do you think that will be the case this time, even with so much tactical voting?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Working from home on Friday so will definitely be up until about 3pm. After that it depends on how close it is. Bottle of port at the ready though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
One of the advantages of living here is getting to watch the election coverage at a reasonable hour. I'll probably watch it until around midnight here (5am UK time).

I'm actually flying back to England the next night, so I'll be there to witness the aftermath. I imagine it will be like a zombie apocalypse.

It already is :(

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
That's my constituency. I've been wondering how Sophie Cook running as an independent could hinder Labour's chances.

Can't see EW & S going red.

I think Timmy "Expenses" Loughton is getting nervous. Mrs Igzilla and I actually got personalised, hand delivered letters from him begging for us to vote Tory. needless to say, they went straight into the recycling bin.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Do you think that will be the case this time, even with so much tactical voting?

I'm guessing they factor the tactical part in, (no I don't know how they do it), but I hope this time they are wrong as I want some excitement! I'll probably watch till about 1:00am unless the early results are way out from the exit poll in which case I'll stick it out for a few more hours.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Looks like the Isles of Scilly votes will be delayed by bad weather, so there'll be some suspense down here.
Wife will be out observing the Truro count, so a quiet night for me.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I always used to stay up all night to watch the results come in but it seems now that once the "first to declare" race is over the other seats appear to be in no hurry. Some of them can't even be arsed to count the votes until the following day. That does take the "fun" out of it.

I will probably try to stay up but if there are few declarations being made in the early hours, chances are I'll be nodding off.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bought the beers and snacks and ready for action.

I've been buying Christmas bits and pieces for the last few weeks, every time I've done the weekly shop. As such, there is now a significant stash of some of my favourite things which I know will be calling my name in the wee early hours of Friday morning. Dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here