Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2019 "up all night" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes, will stay up as late as I can. Would like a beer but won’t otherwise I’d be asleep too early. Taken the day off the next day.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Hope there wont be the same schoolboy errors of forgetting to get adequate pop and nibbles in like last time (forget who it was)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I usually pull an all nighter (well, until about 4/5 AM) and am looking forward to it, even if it becomes clear that the Tories have got back in.
Been suffering with a really bad cold though, so booze might not be on the menu.
Best one for me was 1997; I stood as a (paper) county council candidate for Labour and a sympathetic publican offered to let us all have a few drinks once the polls had closed (the council count wan't until the next day). In a pub full of LP members we watched, and got ever more pissed, watching the tory big-wigs getting the chop.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Who is planning on doing the classic election all-nighter?

How are your plans taking shape?

Are you going to try and get some extra sleep in over the next three nights or just going to wing it.

One advantage of a December election is the huge variety of snack products that are available in the shops. I expect to consume my bodyweight in added salt on the big night.

(This thread will be closed at some point on election evening and the main thread will be used through the night.

I'm IN :thumbsup:

Never miss it and an election night all-nighter on NSC is the only way to watch the results coming in through the wee small hours of the night.

It really is a highlight for me (genuinely!) and I feel positively spoilt with a GE in 2015, a referendum in 2016, an GE in 2017 and now another GE in 2019.

Not quite sure how the dynamics will be changed now I am not drinking, as industrial quantities of strong European lager have typically fuelled my GE all-nighters in the past so I am now venturing into unchartered waters. Imagine still being sober by the time the classic bell-weather of Dudley north is declared in a sports hall somewhere in the grim midlands at about 2.10am?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It’s surely better to go to bed early and wake up at 4 or 5 in time for the real action to start. What’s the point in waiting for 1am to hear Sunderland announce they’ve voted Labour?

The discussion of the exit poll and what it can mean is fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_l7-l2XnsY

You're right though - that can only run for so long before it gets a bit repetitive and the wait is on for something meaningful to happen.

I can't resist it though so I'll be on it from 10pm.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Deja vu, I remember these threads in the past. Yep I’m staying up, I’ve done this for more years than I like to remember.

The exit polls are NOT the be all and end all. You get a feel for the night once the first three or four results are in (always Labour city centre seats, but they reveal the swing).

By about 5am I‘ll flag and may nap.

I channel surf, surprisingly ITV do it really well with Tom Bradby.

I’ll have to get some snacks in, now [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s reminded me.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
It’s surely better to go to bed early and wake up at 4 or 5 in time for the real action to start. What’s the point in waiting for 1am to hear Sunderland announce they’ve voted Labour?

Because its OK to get a bit pissed before bed, but completely unacceptable to get pissed first think in the morning.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Deja vu, I remember these threads in the past. Yep I’m staying up, I’ve done this for more years than I like to remember.

The exit polls are NOT the be all and end all. You get a feel for the night once the first three or four results are in (always Labour city centre seats, but they reveal the swing).

By about 5am I‘ll flag and may nap.

I channel surf, surprisingly ITV do it really well with Tom Bradby.

I’ll have to get some snacks in, now [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s reminded me.

Not sure 'the swing' will mean as much this year. There may well be a swing to the right in the Labour Leaving seats early on - but the real interest will be whether there is any sign of tactical voting in the more marginal seats, which this time are more likely to be decided by Brexit issues than a national swing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Entertainment highlights will be seeing if Raab or Duncan Smith get booted out.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Between 2am and 4am when results are coming in thick and fast and pollsters updating their rolling models it never ceases to amaze how many politicians of all sides are still adamant they are going to win when plainly obvious to all and sundry that they ain't got no chance

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure 'the swing' will mean as much this year. There may well be a swing to the right in the Labour Leaving seats early on - but the real interest will be whether there is any sign of tactical voting in the more marginal seats, which this time are more likely to be decided by Brexit issues than a national swing.

The Lib Dems and Brexit/UKIP have been abandoned for the 2 main parties. There’s real interest in all the Midlanders and Northerners abandoning Labour because they want to seal our departure from the EU.

The swing briefly became less meaningful when the LibDems did really well under Clegg, far more complex for Pollsters.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Can't wait ...

champ_on_ice.jpg

:wink:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Photographing a party on Thursday and will be shooting until 01:00. Whether I choose to make an all nighter of it or not will depend on the exit poll. As an "anybody but the Tories" type of soul, I expect to be tucked up in bed by 02:00 but if things look even slightly squiffy for the government then it'll be a long night with dirty snacks ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here