Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sir Nicholas Macpherson, the permanent secretary to the Treasury, has argued that the 2008 financial crisis was “a banking crisis pure and simple”, contradicting Conservative claims that it was caused by Labour over-spending, Patrick Wintour reports.

[Macpherson’s] surprising remarks come after Ed Miliband came under pressure on a leader’s question time debate last week that Labour government had overspent, a view strengthened by the notorious letter left by the former Liam Byrne treasury chief secretary to his successor saying there is “no money left”.

In a largely challenging review of Mr Osborne’s Economic Experiment, a book by William Keegan, the Observer economics columnist, Macpherson wrote “some of Keegan’s book resonates. The 2008 crisis was a banking crisis pure and simple. Excessive risk had built up in the system; the regulators failed to appreciate the scale of that risk or to address it.

“As he puts it, it was ‘a failure of the Group of Seven economic policymaking establishment’, myself included. Inevitably, countries with bigger banking sectors, notably the UK, were worse affected.”

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Couldn't disagree more. Most of the silent majority are conservative with a small c. The Tories are gaining support as we near the election & I am quietly confident that the Blues will be close to a majority. All in all faced with the disastrous mess Labour left us with I am delighted in what the coalition has achieved so far, and would be more than content with 5 more years of a blue or blue/yellow government. This country needs stability not chaos.

Except the LibDems will team up with Labour and the Tories are behind in the polls again

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Trouble is that people remember the Tories are the nasty party which is why they will be booted out next week, they were given a last chance and have totally blown it

Out with 10 friends last night and not one Labourite amongst us as we just cannot trust them after their last balls up and I hasten to add at least 6 voted for them previously ... All voting blue

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Sir Nicholas Macpherson, the permanent secretary to the Treasury, has argued that the 2008 financial crisis was “a banking crisis pure and simple”, contradicting Conservative claims that it was caused by Labour over-spending, Patrick Wintour reports.

[Macpherson’s] surprising remarks come after Ed Miliband came under pressure on a leader’s question time debate last week that Labour government had overspent, a view strengthened by the notorious letter left by the former Liam Byrne treasury chief secretary to his successor saying there is “no money left”.

In a largely challenging review of Mr Osborne’s Economic Experiment, a book by William Keegan, the Observer economics columnist, Macpherson wrote “some of Keegan’s book resonates. The 2008 crisis was a banking crisis pure and simple. Excessive risk had built up in the system; the regulators failed to appreciate the scale of that risk or to address it.

“As he puts it, it was ‘a failure of the Group of Seven economic policymaking establishment’, myself included. Inevitably, countries with bigger banking sectors, notably the UK, were worse affected.”

And that is exactly the point. It was a financial crisis caused by lax banking regulation, particularly in London and NY. The government is in charge of banking regulation. It had nothing to do with labour over spending. But that overspending meant we came into the crisis in a poor place.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Osborne promised to balance the books when he became Chancellor in 2010 , he has only halved the deficit and the national debt has increased by another £500M. Isn't that a case of overspending ?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Labour have lost a chance of one seat already,he had to stand down from Labour for asking a schoolgirl if she was ready for bed (Wellingborough).
Too late to put another candidate in as all people standing have been declared....the Labour candidate is still standing as an Independant but after that gaff I cannot see him getting many votes,leaving in my view Peter Bone (Con ) one of the best Tories a clear run...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Osborne promised to balance the books when he became Chancellor in 2010 , he has only halved the deficit and the national debt has increased by another £500M. Isn't that a case of overspending ?

with that and D/C's claim that if the immigration went over 100.000 we the electorate should sack him.
makes the case for sacking them both.

P45's on the way mateys

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
with the upsurge of the SNP and probability of the getting some 50+ seats in Scotland, I really cannot see DC getting back into no 10.
because whatever the result the tories will need an impossible amount of seats to get a clear win and even with back-up from some of the other smaller parties ( this depending on wether they are will to give up the referendum on Europe and with some of his own party ( the far right) willing to stab him in the back) and a Queens speech they will not win through, as Labour, SNP PC Greens and maybe the Lib Dems voting against them.
so whatever the result dave's between a rock and a hard place, and even if he should form a government any vote on the referendum on Europe will see him fail within his own party, enter left Boris Johnson or some other baffoon and another general election within months.
so :bigwave: dave and gideon
can't say its been nice knowing you ,because it hasn't
strong women in Parliament you must know what thats like.:thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Labour have lost a chance of one seat already,he had to stand down from Labour for asking a schoolgirl if she was ready for bed (Wellingborough).
Too late to put another candidate in as all people standing have been declared....the Labour candidate is still standing as an Independant but after that gaff I cannot see him getting many votes,leaving in my view Peter Bone (Con ) one of the best Tories a clear run...

He's got a 12k majority from the last election. Apart from 97 and 2001, its been a Tory seat since 1969. Obviously the Lab candidate has shot the party in the foot and seems a bit of a knob but he hasn't stood down because of what you suggest, it was because of fraud. You should not let you labour prejudices get in the way of the truth. And whilst what he sent on snapchat was stupid, it was to a 17 year old girl with whom he could have had a legal relationship. The slant you put on it is to imply it was a child.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes it is. so you are supporting further cuts to the tune of £80bn+ immediately, right?

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
with the upsurge of the SNP and probability of the getting some 50+ seats in Scotland, I really cannot see DC getting back into no 10.
because whatever the result the tories will need an impossible amount of seats to get a clear win and even with back-up from some of the other smaller parties ( this depending on wether they are will to give up the referendum on Europe and with some of his own party ( the far right) willing to stab him in the back) and a Queens speech they will not win through, as Labour, SNP PC Greens and maybe the Lib Dems voting against them.
so whatever the result dave's between a rock and a hard place, and even if he should form a government any vote on the referendum on Europe will see him fail within his own party, enter left Boris Johnson or some other baffoon and another general election within months.
so :bigwave: dave and gideon
can't say its been nice knowing you ,because it hasn't
strong women in Parliament you must know what thats like.:thumbsup:

Mad cat man. I'm going balls out on a Tory majority. I can feel it building.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Was it not that he was suspended pending his investigation for fraud

edit story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-england-32545431

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There are murmurings on several AV forums that should the Tories get back in they will privatise the BBC. George Osborne has already given Ofcom the nod that they will take over as the regulator from the BBC Trust.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
And that is exactly the point. It was a financial crisis caused by lax banking regulation, particularly in London and NY. The government is in charge of banking regulation. It had nothing to do with labour over spending. But that overspending meant we came into the crisis in a poor place.

But the tories at the time said that labour were regulating the finance industry too much and it was restricting it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here