Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This. There's so much unsubstantiated fear about the SNP -- NSC's overlord, when taking a break from teasing some on here about politics, even claimed that he was frightened by the SNP -- on here. Scotland has 59 seats. FPTP will ensure that the SNP gets the lion's share of those this election. So why don't the fear mongers blame FPTP, for instance?
And Labour have already ruled out a coalition with the SNP, although a confidence-and-supply or issue-by-issue arrangement is a likely scenario.
All these NSC fear mongers ought to address the question of whether they want to keep the UK together. If they do, then they'll have to accept the SNP. If they don't accept the SNP, then they'll hasten the breakup of the UK (as will voting OUT in an EU referendum). And the SNP are not going to call for a referendum in the next parliament. They're not going to call one until opinion polls consistently point towards a victory, and it's highly unlikely that'll be in the next parliament.

Fear mongers is a bit emotive. And in your post you're a bit of a fear monger! People have views that may of course be provded right, or may not. And

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
In economics, and indeed life, there are many views. He is notoriously left wing and winning the nobel prize doesnt make him necessarily right. there are many nobel prixe winners who diagree with him.

Exactly. IMF leading economist Christine Lagarde has praised the British government. They are clearly doing something right. That's the IMF not some leftie economist who thinks everything he preaches is gospel.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Exactly. IMF leading economist Christine Lagarde has praised the British government. They are clearly doing something right. That's the IMF not some leftie economist who thinks everything he preaches is gospel.

Good point MS, there is a natural inclination of the left to want to plan centrally, to know best for everyone

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/11/labour-soar-past-tories-seven-point-lead-icm-poll

After a shambolic month where Cameron was humiliated in a EU vote, had the chair of the party resign and seen Boris position himself for the impending election defeat his lead slips further. Not even the demotion of Gove will save him.

Oh dear, your post had the guardian / icm poll with Labour 38% to tories 31%. Latest poll has labour at 32% and tories at 39%!!! Whats happening HT?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Oh dear, your post had the guardian / icm poll with Labour 38% to tories 31%. Latest poll has labour at 32% and tories at 39%!!! Whats happening HT?

I reckon a lot of voters are not happy with the Cons but the nearer the election gets realise and remember what state the country was left in after Labour got pumped, and so are having second thoughts. I also think that Labour linking up with the SNP is having an effect now.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Right wing leader of Right wing organisation supports Right wing policies of Right wing government shock!

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Right wing leader of Right wing organisation supports Right wing policies of Right wing government shock!

Leftie rant from a rabid leftie. For your information the government is a coalition of tories and liberals.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Leftie rant from a rabid leftie. For your information the government is a coalition of tories and liberals.

Thanks for the education. Could you now explain to me what makes a party that elected as its leader former member of the Cambridge University Conservative Association and speech writer for Leon Brittan, Nick Clegg not right wing?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I said 30 odd years. If you think saying '30 odd' means something else other than a number bigger than 30, then we'll end our chat here thanks.

You should have said from 1979 onwards :wink:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I reckon a lot of voters are not happy with the Cons but the nearer the election gets realise and remember what state the country was left in after Labour got pumped, and so are having second thoughts. I also think that Labour linking up with the SNP is having an effect now.

Older people will remember what 18 years of the Tories did to this country (1979-1997) and then realise the state of the country when Labour lost power in 2010 wasn't too bad after all.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, much of it caused by the global economic crash, but also much caused by massive overspending.

From a Conservative blogger exposing the deficit myth:

Firstly, the much banded about 2010 deficit of over 11% is false. This is the PSNB (total borrowings) and not the actual budget deficit which was -7.7% - OBR Economic and Fiscal Outlook March 2012 page 19 table 1.2

Secondly, in 1997 Labour inherited a deficit of 3.9% of GDP (not a balanced budget ) and by 2008 it had fallen to 2.1% - a reduction of a near 50% - Impressive! Hence, it's implausible and ludicrous to claim there was overspending. The deficit was then exacerbated by the global banking crises after 2008. See HM Treasury. Note, the 1994 deficit of near 8% haaaaaah!

Thirdly, the IMF have also concluded the same. They reveal the UK experienced an increase in the deficit as result of a large loss in output/GDP caused by the global banking crisis and not even as result of the bank bailouts, fiscal stimulus and bringing forward of capital spending. It's basic economics: when output falls the deficit increases.

Finally, the large loss in output occurred because the UK like the US have the biggest financial centres and as this was a global banking crises we suffered the most. Hence, the UK had the 2nd highest deficit in the G7 (Not The World) after the US and not as a result of overspending prior to and after 2008- as the IMF concur.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Really?

I like your posts, but in 2010 the economy was a basket case.

Yes, much of it caused by the global economic crash, but also much caused by massive overspending.

It wasn't until I moved oop north in late 1992 that I realised the "north-south divide" wasn't only economic but political too. The Conservatives didn't give a **** about huge swathes of the country where manufacturing and industry was allowed to fall into decline.

Stumpy Tim

I am very much a floating voter this election as I have flirted between the Lib Dems, Labour, and even the Tories a little. I have gone through the policies, and should vote Lib Dems but in Hove that's largely wasted. I think I actually would still have voted Lib Dems but for one policy that I can't stomach - and it's a Tory policy.

In short, the referendum on EU membership has swung me to vote Labour. I disagree with Labour raising the tax rate to 50% as I don't think it makes any difference to tax revenues. However, the thought of the wasted millions on a referendum riles me. More importantly, I think it'll become a nationalistic issue that will be divisive & unhelpful. It will also give Farage a platform to raise ethnic tensions. That concerns me hugely.

So I've come down on the side of Labour. That choice doesn't excite me, but I'll vote to stop the referendum & the nationalistic issues it will bring.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I am no fan of the SNP... but this made me chuckle

CC19gnxWAAAKaJj.jpg:large

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
It wasn't until I moved oop north in late 1992 that I realised the "north-south divide" wasn't only economic but political too. The Conservatives didn't give a **** about huge swathes of the country where manufacturing and industry was allowed to fall into decline.

The Conservative government 79-97 there was a 5% decline in manufacturing under Labour it dropped from 18% to 10%.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
if you think governments have to "balance the books" you are in denial of reality.
government sector deficits are the norm
for the uk 9 years in 10 for over 400 years
the Labour Party had it's first majority government 70 years ago
government sector deficits are not about profligate labour
they are a consequence of sovereign monetary power.
private sector commerce has many positive attributes but in monetary terms it is a nil sum game
income received can never exceed spending.
if the worlds private sectors wants aggregate savings then they have to be
introduced from outside failing trade with aliens ( and then we could only net save alien currencies)
there is only one source the worlds central banks many like ours nationalized
but the monetary power of all off them rests on the state.
fiat money ,money by decree .
when theories fail to match reality it is important to reject them
and the historical reality is that governments do not generally "balance the books"
they add money to the private sector and for good reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here