Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I believe most statistics , both charity based and independent studies all agree that the figure of 1 in 4 children living in poverty is probably accurate. I have no problem with the charity findings as all charities are subject to scrutiny and their findings are checked by independent reviewers and not allowed to be published if found to be spurious. They are simply not allowed to lie. I'm more inclined to believe these collected reports than the ill informed ramblings of NSC's resident right wing faction.

So you are saying 1 in 4 then, not a third?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Non stop moaning from the usual suspects.
Not too many non lefties to argue with at the moment, so they are squabbling between themselves.
Sounds familiar?
Hey ,let us all cheer up,because once Milliband and Sturgeon are in charge of the country everything will be fine and dandy..............until they spend too much, tax the arse off anything that moves and blame Margaret Thatcher when it all goes tits up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I hope we don't find out.
I took that as read :)

But it's a serious question to all. I know we have a lot Labour supporters here who would of course like Labour to win a majority. But what do you all think will be the effect of having a coalition with the SNP?

I really dislike the SNP. A lot. They literally (and I mean that in the original sense of the word, not the new version where literally literally doesn't mean literally anymore) don't give a shit about the UK outside of Scotland, and they will simply try and **** us over.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unemployment down record number of job vacancies and wages up by 1.7% plus a glowing report from Christine Lagarde something to cheer you up and take you mind off IDS.

Low-pay and "flexible hours" contracts.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

But it's a serious question to all. I know we have a lot Labour supporters here who would of course like Labour to win a majority. But what do you all think will be the effect of having a coalition with the SNP?

I really dislike the SNP. A lot. They literally (and I mean that in the original sense of the word, not the new version where literally literally doesn't mean literally anymore) don't give a shit about the UK outside of Scotland, and they will simply try and **** us over.

After the mess Labour left us in, i don't think they need a helping hand from SNP, which as you say would leave us even more in the sh1t.
I believe Labour have already stated that they would up the money given to Scotland, even more now they look to be losing any control north of the border.
Let's face it they admitted they allowed mass immigration for votes, now looks like they will be a cash cow for Scotland to buy back the lost Scottish Labour voters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think it will be fine. As Nicola Stuegeon said, she'll encourage a braver Miliband. That's got to be a good thing. The more I think about it a coalition of left-leaning parties will be fine, in fact I'd prefer it to a majority Labour government in some respects.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Love the Tory response, you forgot to mention the long term financial plan though

2 million jobs created recently, more than ALL 27 EU countries combined. simply unbelievable & some of you deluded reds think Edward Bean has a squeak.
Coral don't, shortening the Blues to 4/9 as well As Dave as next PM.
Nor do I, just had another wedge on Simon Kirby to bring home the bacon sandwich (btw this is the best 5/4 shot you will ever get, so don't say you weren't told!)

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
2 million jobs created recently, more than ALL 27 EU countries combined. simply unbelievable & some of you deluded reds think Edward Bean has a squeak.
Coral don't, shortening the Blues to 4/9 as well As Dave as next PM.
Nor do I, just had another wedge on Simon Kirby to bring home the bacon sandwich (btw this is the best 5/4 shot you will ever get, so don't say you weren't told!)

Simon, are you allowed to bet on yourself?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think that is rubbish. Wanting to rule themselves doesn't equate to not giving a shit about anyone else. They've had 22 years of Tory rule over the last 30 years or so, when pretty much 80% of the Scottish electorate vote left or liberal left. That doesn't mean they don't give a shit about the UK, but it also means their politics is never truly represented in a UK parliament where Scotland makes up about 9% of the seats.

They've positioned themselves to the left of Labour and that is what is really scaring people, not that they don't give a shit about the UK - that would LITERALLY be like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

As others have said, they are more left than Ed and I reckon spend, tax, spend, tax and so on until we are f ---ed.
Do we really want a coalition to be formed with a party who wants to break up the UK?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As others have said, they are more left than Ed and I reckon spend, tax, spend, tax and so on until we are f ---ed.
Do we really want a coalition to be formed with a party who wants to break up the UK?

If the nation doesn't want a Labour/SNP coalition it will not get one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

First point is political, so can't disagree with your opinion.

I know the soundbite is that the SNP want to break up the UK, actually they don't, they just want to remove Scotland from it. I don't have a problem with that view in all honesty. If I was in a country where 80% of us regularly voted left, and yet we were continually ruled by the right, I'd be a bit disenfranchised with it.

I feel what Scotland needs is not more pushing away, but an arm around her shoulder - we need to show Scotland some love. I think as the majority in the UK parliament, we need to accept our fellow members aren't entirely happy with things. If you or I love the UK, then we have to love Scotland, Wales and NI and not resent their need for independence.

I actually think it would be ideal to have the SNP in a coalition - bring the party that wants to leave the UK into the very heart of the UK. #ShowScotlandLove

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

It might actually suit Labour to lose this election as it would present some very awkward options in the case of a hung parliament. Realistically the only chance I see miliband becoming PM would be with the SNP's support and there would be a heavy price to pay. Would he deal with the SNP and hope to contain Sturgeon and if so how long for? Ultimately the SNP's main agenda would take priority.
I don't think Labour have any realistic chance of governing the country in 3 weeks. However in 5 years they may be better placed with a leader the country warms to but I still believe they may need the support of the SNP who after another 5 years of Tory Westminster may prove far more difficult to deal with. I do not believe the SNP in coalition would result in anything other than the break up of the Union and subsequently any chance of a future Labour government.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First point is political, so can't disagree with your opinion.

I know the soundbite is that the SNP want to break up the UK, actually they don't, they just want to remove Scotland from it. I don't have a problem with that view in all honesty. If I was in a country where 80% of us regularly voted left, and yet we were continually ruled by the right, I'd be a bit disenfranchised with it.

I feel what Scotland needs is not more pushing away, but an arm around her shoulder - we need to show Scotland some love. I think as the majority in the UK parliament, we need to accept our fellow members aren't entirely happy with things. If you or I love the UK, then we have to love Scotland, Wales and NI and not resent their need for independence.

I actually think it would be ideal to have the SNP in a coalition - bring the party that wants to leave the UK into the very heart of the UK. #ShowScotlandLove

This

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think that is rubbish. Wanting to rule themselves doesn't equate to not giving a shit about anyone else. They've had 22 years of Tory rule over the last 30 years or so, when pretty much 80% of the Scottish electorate vote left or liberal left. That doesn't mean they don't give a shit about the UK, but it also means their politics is never truly represented in a UK parliament where Scotland makes up about 9% of the seats.

They've positioned themselves to the left of Labour and that is what is really scaring people, not that they don't give a shit about the UK - that would LITERALLY be like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

This. There's so much unsubstantiated fear about the SNP -- NSC's overlord, when taking a break from teasing some on here about politics, even claimed that he was frightened by the SNP -- on here. Scotland has 59 seats. FPTP will ensure that the SNP gets the lion's share of those this election. So why don't the fear mongers blame FPTP, for instance?
And Labour have already ruled out a coalition with the SNP, although a confidence-and-supply or issue-by-issue arrangement is a likely scenario.
All these NSC fear mongers ought to address the question of whether they want to keep the UK together. If they do, then they'll have to accept the SNP. If they don't accept the SNP, then they'll hasten the breakup of the UK (as will voting OUT in an EU referendum). And the SNP are not going to call for a referendum in the next parliament. They're not going to call one until opinion polls consistently point towards a victory, and it's highly unlikely that'll be in the next parliament.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it will be fine. As Nicola Stuegeon said, she'll encourage a braver Miliband. That's got to be a good thing.
So you think it's a good idea to have the leader of our country as some soft idiot that needs braving up by some minor party member. Great. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that Milliband is a soft idiot, unless if he needs Sturgeon to make him brave, in which case god help us.

I think that is rubbish. Wanting to rule themselves doesn't equate to not giving a shit about anyone else. They've had 22 years of Tory rule over the last 30 years or so
I make it 13 years Labour, 12 years Tory, 5 years Tory/Lib Dem coalition. Hardly 22 years of Tory rule.
when pretty much 80% of the Scottish electorate vote left or liberal left. That doesn't mean they don't give a shit about the UK, but it also means their politics is never truly represented in a UK parliament where Scotland makes up about 9% of the seats.
So what? There are parts of the UK that always vote to the right, and they've had to be ruled by a Labour government. So what, that's how it works.

The SNP want another vote for independence, and want to keep having them until they get what they want. And they want to take as much money from the rest of the UK to spend in Scotland as they can. They want to take the oil that belongs to the UK. They want to control the UK's currency after they leave. They want it all. That's not cutting off your nose to spite your face.

As others have said, they are more left than Ed and I reckon spend, tax, spend, tax and so on until we are f ---ed. Do we really want a coalition to be formed with a party who wants to break up the UK?
I don't mind them being to the left. If that's their policy, that's cool, let people vote. It's the fact that they want to leave, but take the silver with them that bothers me.

Realistically the only chance I see miliband becoming PM would be with the SNP's support and there would be a heavy price to pay. Would he deal with the SNP and hope to contain Sturgeon and if so how long for? Ultimately the SNP's main agenda would take priority.
The tories don't look like winning either, so a Labour/SNP coalition seems like a real possibility, and I don't see how that's good for the country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here