Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Got to disagree with you I'm afraid. At my eldest son's school, my step daughers school and the school my sister teaches at there is plenty of evidence of children in poverty. Just a few examples, my step daughter has on a number occassions given away her lunch ( or part of it ) because some pupils don't have enough money to get lunch. One of my son's friends was in tears because his family can't afford to have the internet at home so his homework suffers as so many schools use online homework now. Small examples but I suggest you go and look at some schools - it might open your eyes. We can argue about the exact percentage but there are plenty of children in this country living in poverty and it's not a small number.

I'm a school governor at a primary school and I don't think that is an isolated case either. We have a number of children from very disadvantaged backgrounds. While the Lib Dems Pupil Premium policy has helped to fund specific in-school aids to their needs, it doesn't of course help them at home.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How are the Green council responsible for rough sleepers? FFS of all things to chuck at the Greens this is the most ludicrous. The one party that is serious about tackling the ill effects of drugs, raising the funds to maintain spending on social care and building affordable housing.

Blaming the Tories, yes. They don't give a sh*t about rough sleepers and have in fact deliberately managed to inflate their numbers through welfare sanctions. How you tie the Greens into this is mystifying.

I asked gregbrighton to explain which of the Green policies was causing homelessness. Not surprisingly, he didn't give an answer.

I know the Green council has made some mistakes but to blame it for everything in Brighton is ridiculous: I saw people on the Argus comments blame the Greens for the train derailment the other day. I'm just waiting for someone to blame the Greens for Leon Best

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I asked gregbrighton to explain which of the Green policies was causing homelessness. Not surprisingly, he didn't give an answer.

I know the Green council has made some mistakes but to blame it for everything in Brighton is ridiculous: I saw people on the Argus comments blame the Greens for the train derailment the other day. I'm just waiting for someone to blame the Greens for Leon Best

Blackburn's away kit is a putride green !

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
How are the Green council responsible for rough sleepers? FFS of all things to chuck at the Greens this is the most ludicrous. The one party that is serious about tackling the ill effects of drugs, raising the funds to maintain spending on social care and building affordable housing.

Blaming the Tories, yes. They don't give a sh*t about rough sleepers and have in fact deliberately managed to inflate their numbers through welfare sanctions. How you tie the Greens into this is mystifying.

They've even thought outside (or should that be inside) the box on social housing - http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10206680.Plans_for_Brighton_homeless_village_revealed/

This homeless issue isn't individual to Brighton, the doorways of every major city in Britain are crammed with the victims of 'call me dave's' austerity Britain

All in it together - my arse.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton

It doesn't have to be a particular policy but the fact that some of these people are on the the streets often because of no fault of their own due to benefit sanctions and/or mental health issues.

This is a Green council. You would think they care about people but clearly not judging by how many there are sleeping in shop doorways within the city. They need to be putting more money and initiatives to help these vulnerable people and I say this as someone who was homeless in this city.

The fact there are Green supporters here who are defending their so called precious caring party rather than caring about the homeless issue in the city says a lot about they are no different to the rest of the parties.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
IDS let out of his cage this morning and immediately puts his foot in it if the Mail criticise you then you are in trouble

The solution to zero-hours contracts....rename them. What a clown.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
They've even thought outside (or should that be inside) the box on social housing - http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10206680.Plans_for_Brighton_homeless_village_revealed/

This homeless issue isn't individual to Brighton, the doorways of every major city in Britain are crammed with the victims of 'call me dave's' austerity Britain

All in it together - my arse.

The charity Crisis says 2700 people sleep rough each night which although lamentable hardly suggests doorways crammed with victims.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
The charity Crisis says 2700 people sleep rough each night which although lamentable hardly suggests doorways crammed with victims.

You can be sure that is just the tip of the iceberg. Many people do not show up on official statistics. Just reaming off statistics kind of just makes the whole thing and the people 'victims' appear somewhat meaningless, in my opinion. Put people first before numbers!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It doesn't have to be a particular policy but the fact that some of these people are on the the streets often because of no fault of their own due to benefit sanctions and/or mental health issues.

Local authorities have nothing to do with benefit sanctions.

This is a Green council. You would think they care about people but clearly not judging by how many there are sleeping in shop doorways within the city. They need to be putting more money and initiatives to help these vulnerable people and I say this as someone who was homeless in this city.

As SHC has mentioned, the council has done something: it has deployed containers as homes for the homeless, it's not ideal but it's more than the previous Labour and Tory councils did. I'm sure they'd like to do more but the problem is lack of funds - the council had its grant from national government cut drastically.

It's a national disgrace that there are people sleeping in shop doorways but local authorities (of any party) have limited resources to do much about it. In the past, they could have built council houses but that's less of an option; plans for private developers to build houses in Brighton keep getting kicked out - thanks to the Tories and, under new Tory proposals, housing associations will see their stock reduced too. God knows, the Greens have made some cock-ups but housing isn't one of them

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
She pretty much is. Just a "character" the media are using to stir up hatred from the ignorant towards people on benefits.

"look! Look at the silly poor fat lady, look! She is spending your taxes on Findus pancakes and fags. Nope, nope, don't look over there at Billionaires owing the taxpayer Billions, look back at these silly poor people stealing your taxes. Nope, you're looking over there at the MP's deliberately not building new homes so they can artificially raise the price of their own property portfolios, look back at Fatty Boom Boom cackling with her neighbours on benefit street. Look at the silly man drunk at noon on your tax pounds. No, don't look at the Nurses 1% pay rise and start to compare it to the MP's 11% pay rise. Look at the oafs who cannot even feed themselves !!! look you ****ing morons, look at the poor people not us!!! "

Or something.
+1, like, etc etc

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

The fact there are Green supporters here who are defending their so called precious caring party rather than caring about the homeless issue in the city says a lot about they are no different to the rest of the parties.

This is utter gibberish. You have not come up with one single Green council policy that puts people on the streets. They do however have policies to get people off the streets, both in terms of accommodation provision and drug treatment. Policies which are starved of funds by the central government. I will defend the Greens on this issue as they genuinely do care, and they are willing to look for the funds to help with this issue. As far as I'm aware neither the labour party in Brighton or the Tories give a shi*t.

You will not find one major city in the UK where this is not an issue, and Brighton suffers disproportionately for a variety of reasons. If you want to point the finger, at least do it in the right direction and ask Westminster why they are constantly reducing their local government budgets whilst restricting the amount of council tax that councils can raise.

By all means disagree with the Greens, we all have different opinions and viewpoints on here, but at least base in it reality.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
IDS let out of his cage this morning and immediately puts his foot in it if the Mail criticise you then you are in trouble

Unemployment down record number of job vacancies and wages up by 1.7% plus a glowing report from Christine Lagarde something to cheer you up and take you mind off IDS.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Unemployment down record number of job vacancies and wages up by 1.7% plus a glowing report from Christine Lagarde something to cheer you up and take you mind off IDS.
That's if you believe the bollocks they come out with, of course.

It's funny people are moaning so much about the "workshy", given that we apparently have so few of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here