Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Dandyman

In London village.
So he's ruled out something that was never suggested by the SNP or Labour due to pressure from the Tories over something that was never going to happen.

He was very careful with his words, not ruling out a 'confidence and supply' move - Scotland won't be fooled.

Why should he rule out a confidence and supply arrangement ? Are we now being told Scottish MPs should have no say at Westminster ?

Dandyman

In London village.
Of course not, but I think the point is that he could well be relying on a Party that wants out of the UK to get laws passed.

Fair enough but there will clearly be legislation both in the the current Parliament and the next that has a direct impact on Scotland, so it's hard to see why they should not express their views. Any unionist party (and all three main parties are) would be very two faced to campaign to maintain the union then turn round and say there is something wrong in Scotland's representatives expressing their views in the national Parliament.

Dandyman

In London village.
Confidence and supply would be fine, but using SNP votes to get something through that does not affect Scotland would not.

Most legislation eventually knocks through to Scotland although a more federal UK would tend to answer that. One could, of course, make the same point about the Tories and the DUP/UUP

It really makes me laugh that it's supposed unionists who don't appear to want Scottish MPs to be part of a United Kingdom government

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Fair enough but there will clearly be legislation both in the the current Parliament and the next that has a direct impact on Scotland, so it's hard to see why they should not express their views.

expressing views is one thing. what we face the prospect of is horse trading favourable terms for Scotland in every piece of legislation in order to get support. it wont go down well south of the border - especially with north Labour MPs - to see the Scots getting semi-independance in this way. i suppose not much different to coalition, except there the SNP would have to stand by all the legislation as their own. with vote by vote support, they will pick and choose, Labour wont get much through anyway.

which goes for a Tory minority government too. which i think it will be a good outcome either way, government will be restricted in its legislative programme to a handful of key, important policies they want to push through.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
expressing views is one thing. what we face the prospect of is horse trading favourable terms for Scotland in every piece of legislation in order to get support. it wont go down well south of the border - especially with north Labour MPs - to see the Scots getting semi-independance in this way. i suppose not much different to coalition, except there the SNP would have to stand by all the legislation as their own. with vote by vote support, they will pick and choose, Labour wont get much through anyway.

which goes for a Tory minority government too. which i think it will be a good outcome either way, government will be restricted in its legislative programme to a handful of key, important policies they want to push through.

But if the nation decides it doesn't want an overall party and the nation also decides that Labour and the SNP are the two biggest parties, or Tory and the Libs for that matter, then surely they have a mandate to join forces? After all, it's what the country has voted for.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Of course not, but I think the point is that he could well be relying on a Party that wants out of the UK to get laws passed.

No different from another possible scenario of a CON - UKIP pact , the Conservatives would be relying on a party that wants out of the EU to get laws passed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

One would hope they will act responsibly and for the greater good. If they don't, there will very quickly be another election and the SNP could well lose seats and power.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Why should he rule out a confidence and supply arrangement ? Are we now being told Scottish MPs should have no say at Westminster ?

I'm not saying that, i'm just saying this changes nothing, this was never going to happen and the Scottish people won't change their vote because of this.
However by not ruling out a confidence and supply arrangement, he appers to be seriously hurting Labour's appearance down south in the polls.

Camicus

It was the SNP who brought down the labour government by siding with the tories to bring in Thatcher it was also the SNP who formed a coalition government with the tories in Scotland. The people of Scotland and the labour party would do well to remember that

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
But if the nation decides it doesn't want an overall party and the nation also decides that Labour and the SNP are the two biggest parties, or Tory and the Libs for that matter, then surely they have a mandate to join forces? After all, it's what the country has voted for.

the point is they are saying they wont join forces, they will collude on a vote by vote basis. SNP will have only the cake they want, when its got the toppings they want, which wont be available to for all. i dont think anyone south of the border would vote in favour of that arrangment, it will be an accident of electoral geography. this would be unlike a Liberal coalition/alliance that would be broadly national in its outlook.

Dandyman

In London village.
the point is they are saying they wont join forces, they will collude on a vote by vote basis. SNP will have only the cake they want, when its got the toppings they want, which wont be available to for all. i dont think anyone south of the border would vote in favour of that arrangment, it will be an accident of electoral geography. this would be unlike a Liberal coalition/alliance that would be broadly national in its outlook.

I don't remember anyone voting for the last five years of Con-Dem government & I am certain the Liberals will be punished for that. The Tories meanwhile have failed to win a majority since April 1992.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I don't remember anyone voting for the last five years of Con-Dem government

well observed, it wasnt on the ballot paper. your point?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It was the SNP who brought down the labour government by siding with the tories to bring in Thatcher

Really ?? ?? ?? So despite a complete lurch to the left in the mid to late 70's with the formation the 79 Group and the SNP being against the poll tax they helped bring in Thatcher ? How exactly ?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Why do you think this?

I read an article the other day which was quite convincing, in summary it said a lot of Labour MP's in Lab-Con marginals (obviously down south) were very wary that by not ruling out a Lab-SNP 'alliance / informal deal of any kind' the talk on the door step was of a Tory win in the narrow constituencies and there was a growing disquiet amongst these MP's to do so completely.

Camicus

Still yapping little one? Still on the ignore list. You really are just too dumb to quit. Told my ou group about your views on the ou your a laughing stock on multiple forums congratulations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here