General Election 2015

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's a tiresome political game. Labour are only doing this to make the Tories look out of touch and in bed with the super rich. The fact that this decision is going to cost the country a lot of money appears neither here nor there to Ed Balls, so long as it helps him into power.

absolutely this. its not a policy to raise money, which it wont. its a policy to trip up the Tory's image, which it will. it will play very well with the home crowd but in all honest does any one think this is a door step issue? i doubt it will gain interest to swing a single marginal.

He doesn't need to change any rules....just abolish the non-dom caveat so the "worldwide income" rule applies to all.

have to wait and see the actual legislation, i expect it to be watered down as the comments made already on it sound like it less than an outright abolishing. on reflection, i'm not sure i disagree with it much, the rules are daft, just wanted to humor you. once local tax and rules around double taxation are considered, its probably no great shakes for the vast majority of those affected, it seems a matter of convenience.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I don't think it's a way to win cheap votes as many countries operate the worldwide income rule. Here you pay German tax on your world wide income wherever it is earned if you are present in the country for 6 months and 1 day or more. But you are never taxed twice on the same amount. The US does double tax it's citizens above a certain level

Yes, lots of options. Strange though that Balls said this would cost the UK money if removed only in January but now proposes to remove it. that is why i think its to win votes and its cheap and easy to do this. I think they are calling us an offsohre tax haven. They are not idiots so i can only assume its to Stir things up

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
And UK productivity has completely tanked. It's not been this bad since the early 90s. It's shockingly poor.

http://www.theguardian.com/business...roductivity-problem-to-raise-living-standards

And productivity would go up under a Labour government how?

"Productivity" as GPD per capita is such a messy and coarse indicator. What about the thousands that voluntarily shifted to 4-day working weeks to avoid mass lay-offs in the recession? That's a 20% drop in productivity right there. What about the ever-increasing retirement age?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Correct, more manufacturing needed. I think that is the only hope we have of being able to create some half decent jobs again in this country. Manufacturing is one of the most important things a country can have for it's economy. Succesive governments have forgotten about manufacturing, always putting it's interests in the finance sector. The difference between a manufacturing company and one dealing with finance is obvious, a large manufacturing company will create hundreds of other jobs because of the chain of other companies needed for other services and components.

When I worked in manufacturing, we sourced one company for rotors and bearings, we sourced another company for plastic granules, we sourced another company for tooling, we sourced another company for anodising our components, and so the list goes on.

Unfortunately, we cannot compete with overseas labour costs. Until such time it is economically viable then a lot of basic manufacturing will remain overseas. That said, in 2012, we were still the 7th biggest manufacturing country in the world.

absolutely this. its not a policy to raise money, which it wont. its a policy to trip up the Tory's image, which it will. it will play very well with the home crowd but in all honest does any one think this is a door step issue? i doubt it will gain interest to swing a single marginal.

:O

Do you remember that Tory wheeze of a few weeks ago, the letter from the 100 Turkeys who wouldn't vote for Christmas?

Well - one of them has just gone back to Labour specifically over the new non-doms policy :)

https://twitter.com/DuncanBannatyne/status/585564509068251136

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
:O

Do you remember that Tory wheeze of a few weeks ago, the letter from the 100 Turkeys who wouldn't vote for Christmas?

Well - one of them has just gone back to Labour specifically over the new non-doms policy :)

https://twitter.com/DuncanBannatyne/status/585564509068251136

About three companies pulled out of it the following day as well, feeling it would affect their buisness being linked to it - Ladbrokes being one, saying they thought it was just about supporting corporation tax cuts.

The Times today States 20 or 30 extra ftse250 companies CE joined up today

Your challenge for today - can you get a letter together with 100 nurses who will vote Conservative?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unfortunately, we cannot compete with overseas labour costs. Until such time it is economically viable then a lot of basic manufacturing will remain overseas. That said, in 2012, we were still the 7th biggest manufacturing country in the world.

Oh ffs. Please. Please. Take a look at German manufacturing, Finnish ship building......

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh ffs. Please. Please. Take a look at German manufacturing, Finnish ship building......

What's your point? All I was pointing out was that our manufacturing industry is not non-existant as some people seem to imply. So, whilst we are on the subject of comparisons, how big is the Finnish manufacturing base compared to ours. And whilst we playing this game, how big is their financial services industry compared to ours.

I'm not saying there aren't better manufacturing countries but there are a hell of a lot more that are worse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On manufacturing we have to compete on expertise not wages..

Not necessarily, it depends what you manufacture. If you make things the Chinese need or want, and don't or can't make, you're onto a winner.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Not necessarily, it depends what you manufacture. If you make things the Chinese need or want, and don't or can't make, you're onto a winner.

My brother in law owns five assorted manufacturing companies in Sussex, you'd be amazed at the minor sorts of widget to bigger stuff that people get him to make iafter withdrawing from poor quality Chinese attempts to produce for less

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My brother in law owns five assorted manufacturing companies in Sussex, you'd be amazed at the minor sorts of widget to bigger stuff that people get him to make iafter withdrawing from poor quality Chinese attempts to produce for less

Good stuff. Good on him.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Great news ��. We don't outcompete on price, we outcompete on quality.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Sure let's have a big Labour - Tory row all over the media about whether rich people should pay tax.

I think we've got you EXACTLY where we want you now - keep whingeing - the louder, the better :lolol:

40 Tory MPs have come on to twitter this morning opposing the non dom plans, let's see if we can get that up to a few hundred by the end of the day

What are you actually trying to say. Are you saying Balls didn't say that on video. It's all over the BBC. Yes the BBC. Wonders never cease.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It's a tiresome political game. Labour are only doing this to make the Tories look out of touch and in bed with the super rich. The fact that this decision is going to cost the country a lot of money appears neither here nor there to Ed Balls, so long as it helps him into power.

Now I wouldn't have such an issue if this had been Alistair Darling or another vaguely intelligent Labour chief, because I'd have faith that they would have some sort of clue as to how to plug that enormous hole in state funding that this is going to create. But Balls is a clueless moron, big on bullshit and shouting, very very small on actual solutions to real problems.

That clueless moron could be chancellor in a months time. Now that scares the shit out of me.:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports