Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
What worries me more is that seemingly rational people can even consider identifying with someone like George Osborne whilst describing Balls like this. I'm no fan of Balls as I find him horrendously hypocritical (although not as bad as Labour colleagues Harriet Harman and Dianne Abbott), but have a hard time believing he would be more disastrous than an unchecked Osborne in in a pure Tory government. That snake is hell bent on looking after big business and his Bullingdon chums over everybody else. He is truly odious.

I can't stand Osborne, odious man, and I'm certainly not identifying myself with him, but at the end of the day, he got it right on the economy, and Balls got it wrong.

Sometimes you've got to look at the policies, and not the personality. I didn't like Sir Alex Ferguson,but he got it right more often than not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't stand Osborne, odious man, and I'm certainly not identifying myself with him, but at the end of the day, he got it right on the economy, and Balls got it wrong.

Sometimes you've got to look at the policies, and not the personality. I didn't like Sir Alex Ferguson,but he got it right more often than not.

I'm not sure that he did. We were slowest to recover of all G7 countries after 2010, and he was all set to pretty much abolish inheritance tax. In addition, without the Lib Dems reigning him in he'd have made far deeper cuts that would have strangled the fledgling recovery as it was, and caused all sorts of distress to those that need state help the most.

Video of Ed Balls - three months ago ruling out abolishing non-dom status sutfaces.
Suggests it 'would cost us money.' Whoops

Sure let's have a big Labour - Tory row all over the media about whether rich people should pay tax.

I think we've got you EXACTLY where we want you now - keep whingeing - the louder, the better :lolol:

40 Tory MPs have come on to twitter this morning opposing the non dom plans, let's see if we can get that up to a few hundred by the end of the day

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ultimately, the coalition have shown us just why we need voting reform as the worst Tory policies were successfully reined in. Inheritance tax was left alone, income tax was only really ever tinkered with, cuts were made but could have been worse. Shame about VAT being increased as we've come to expect on a Tory watch, but you can't have it all. They did preside over a recovery, even if it was slow.

Anyway, I want the same counterbalance with Labour when they decide to spend money like water. (It's not the policy of heavy state spending that I object to, it's the gradual slide into throwing somebody else's money at a problem rather than fixing it, that I don't like). And I want my vote to matter. As it is, elections are won or lost on something like 50,000 wavering votes who live in marginal seats. The rest of us waverers don't matter. It's absurd.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What worries me more is that seemingly rational people can even consider identifying with someone like George Osborne whilst describing Balls like this. I'm no fan of Balls as I find him horrendously hypocritical (although not as bad as Labour colleagues Harriet Harman and Dianne Abbott), but have a hard time believing he would be more disastrous than an unchecked Osborne in in a pure Tory government. That snake is hell bent on looking after big business and his Bullingdon chums over everybody else. He is truly odious.

Have to agree entirely with this.

As for Mellor 3 Ward 4! How many of GO's comments can equally be questioned, ie protecting the triple A rating or halving the deficit (as claimed on their latest poster) etc etc.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Did they get it right? (I have posted this before, but an interesting blog by a supposed conservative.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ramesh-patel/growth-cameron-austerity_b_2007552.html

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sure let's have a big Labour - Tory row all over the media about whether rich people should pay tax.

I think we've got you EXACTLY where we want you now - keep whingeing - the louder, the better :lolol:

40 Tory MPs have come on to twitter this morning opposing the non dom plans, let's see if we can get that up to a few hundred by the end of the day

It's a tiresome political game. Labour are only doing this to make the Tories look out of touch and in bed with the super rich. The fact that this decision is going to cost the country a lot of money appears neither here nor there to Ed Balls, so long as it helps him into power.

Now I wouldn't have such an issue if this had been Alistair Darling or another vaguely intelligent Labour chief, because I'd have faith that they would have some sort of clue as to how to plug that enormous hole in state funding that this is going to create. But Balls is a clueless moron, big on bullshit and shouting, very very small on actual solutions to real problems.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
It's a tiresome political game. Labour are only doing this to make the Tories look out of touch and in bed with the super rich. The fact that this decision is going to cost the country a lot of money appears neither here nor there to Ed Balls, so long as it helps him into power.

Now I wouldn't have such an issue if this had been Alistair Darling or another vaguely intelligent Labour chief, because I'd have faith that they would have some sort of clue as to how to plug that enormous hole in state funding that this is going to create. But Balls is a clueless moron, big on bullshit and shouting, very very small on actual solutions to real problems.
Didn't Gordon use Balls to duff up Darling.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Nail. On. Head

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure that he did. We were slowest to recover of all G7 countries after 2010, and he was all set to pretty much abolish inheritance tax. In addition, without the Lib Dems reigning him in he'd have made far deeper cuts that would have strangled the fledgling recovery as it was, and caused all sorts of distress to those that need state help the most.

And UK productivity has completely tanked. It's not been this bad since the early 90s. It's shockingly poor.

http://www.theguardian.com/business...roductivity-problem-to-raise-living-standards

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
40 Tory MPs have come on to twitter this morning opposing the non dom plans

This says everything you need to know. I expected beorthelm's tacit support. But fully expected these muppets to keep quiet. Are they misguidedly brazen or simply arrogant?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you are seriously suggesting the average person is skint, have a gander around the pubs and restaurants of E Sussex and W Kent, many will be full to bursting this weekend
What happens in Sussex and Kent doesn't reflect what is happening elsewhere in the UK. Why do you think the price of a pint of beer in Rotherham on Bank Holiday Monday was only £2 ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
to confirm, i disagree with it. at least, i disagree with the notion Miliband will do anything about it, he'll change the current slightly daft rules and introduce a bunch of new rules that foreigners can use so as not have their overseas earning taxed. they already have any UK income or money they bring in taxed, just not the money that stays overseas the cheaky scamps. its a good policy for the gallery though. and its good to see Miliband will be rejoining the election campaign.

He doesn't need to change any rules....just abolish the non-dom caveat so the "worldwide income" rule applies to all.

D

Deleted member 22389

And UK productivity has completely tanked. It's not been this bad since the early 90s. It's shockingly poor.

http://www.theguardian.com/business...roductivity-problem-to-raise-living-standards

Correct, more manufacturing needed. I think that is the only hope we have of being able to create some half decent jobs again in this country. Manufacturing is one of the most important things a country can have for it's economy. Succesive governments have forgotten about manufacturing, always putting it's interests in the finance sector. The difference between a manufacturing company and one dealing with finance is obvious, a large manufacturing company will create hundreds of other jobs because of the chain of other companies needed for other services and components.

When I worked in manufacturing, we sourced one company for rotors and bearings, we sourced another company for plastic granules, we sourced another company for tooling, we sourced another company for anodising our components, and so the list goes on.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This says everything you need to know. I expected beorthelm's tacit support. But fully expected these muppets to keep quiet. Are they misguidedly brazen or simply arrogant?

Those with a permanent home abroad dont have to pay uk taxes on foriegn income and capital gains. For the privalege they pay £30k pa. And uk tax on all uk income and capital gains. Seems perfectly reasonable, not sure why the uk have the right to tax on this, other than to win a few cheap votes. I would have though the europhiles amoungst us would support this non dom status. I think the US tax all world income regardless of where earned. We could of course go down that route.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
What happens in Sussex and Kent doesn't reflect what is happening elsewhere in the UK. Why do you think the price of a pint of beer in Rotherham on Bank Holiday Monday was only £2 ?

That is true. And there have always been regional economic disparities, in all countries. It is not always the same regions who are rich or poor either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Those with a permanent home abroad dont have to pay uk taxes on foriegn income and capital gains. For the privalege they pay £30k pa. And uk tax on all uk income and capital gains. Seems perfectly reasonable, not sure why the uk have the right to tax on this, other than to win a few cheap votes. I would have though the europhiles amoungst us would support this non dom status. I think the US tax all world income regardless of where earned. We could of course go down that route.

I don't think it's a way to win cheap votes as many countries operate the worldwide income rule. Here you pay German tax on your world wide income wherever it is earned if you are present in the country for 6 months and 1 day or more. But you are never taxed twice on the same amount. The US does double tax it's citizens above a certain level

Lynton Crosby obviously had no time to reach them :lolol:

It's quite astonishing, they should have taken the hit and moved on quickly - now it seems the Tory party are determined to make the election about rich people's right not to pay tax - oh well, bring it on, huh?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Osborne largely got lucky with timing, he had his mare a few year ago, and had a nicely timed drop in oil prices to kill off inflation risk. he's done nothing of note to grow the economy or deal with supply side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here