Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GCSE's

barney

Jul 31, 2006
The only person being GRUMPY about it all was Nibble, NSC's very own paragon of virtue, with a career comprising being a 10th rate jobbing actor and a part-time cleaner, who described GCSEs as 'piss easy' - f***ing wanker.

The so called 'old people' will, I think you'll find, be more aware of the hard work that goes into GCSEs because we have children who have worked their COCKS off to get a decent start in life.

I thank you

to be fair, GCSEs are by no means challenging to anyone even slightly academic

saying that they are hard work is a downright lie

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've just read this thread and am gobsmacked yet again at how arsey Nibble can be.

How the f*** a jobbing actor and cleaner can claim the moral high ground baffles me. I'm with Hiney. Well done one and all. Now go get them A levels.

Oct 25, 2003
to get straight a's/a*'s then yeah, its hard work

if you just want to get over c in every one then it isn't particularly, and in this case, gcse doesn't prepare you well for a-level at ALL

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
to get straight a's/a*'s then yeah, its hard work

if you just want to get over c in every one then it isn't particularly, and in this case, gcse doesn't prepare you well for a-level at ALL

In which case that was exactly the same (and I'm sure Hiney will agree) with the old O levels. In fact some O levels just never prepared you for the A levels. Case in point was maths. It was like a completely different subject.

And then A level physics never prepared me for my degree in Theoretical Physics. Quite often the actual exam may be irrelevant to your future career but as Hiney (Christ, I'm arse-licking tonight) says - it's an indicator of whether that person can apply themselves and if they are clever and studious enough.

Fortunately I was a right little swot at school. This hard man of accountancy reputation I have came much later on.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
In my experience, people who say that any exams are 'piss easy' are usually people who regret not working hard enough and are now paying the price for their laziness.

That's pretty close to but not exactly on the mark, I think.

I have 11 gcse's, 3 a-levels and a degree and at no time whilst doing any of the courses(apart from a-level maths which was just mind boggling) did I find it hard work. Infact, I thought and still do that the education system is easy. I did no revision for my gcse's, a smattering for my A-levels(apart from maths where i did try to learn something so I could at least attempt an answer or two...) and very little for my degree. I passed all of them comfortably. So I've always assumed that if i passed with no revision or work then with just a little bit of effort I could have got those grades up to top marks. I don't know though as I didn't do any work. And that's the problem, I think. GCSE's are easy, at least to pass. Top grades might require a lot of hard work but then if a 'b' or 'c' are so easy to get and are all that's required to move onto a-level's why would a) you bother to spend all your time working to get an exam result a grade higher than the grade you'd get for no work(when the no work grade will get you into college), b)you believe that it's particularly tough to get an 'a' grade if a 'b' grade requires little or no effort? This pattern repeated itself for me at college(apart from a-level maths which I did have to put some work into so as to at least get a point or two...) and (to an extent)uni.

HOWEVER, now that I'm a little(but not too much...) older and (hopefully) wiser, I've come to regret not working harder. Why? Because I don't have as wide a knowledge base as I'd like. It's not held me back in work(I need no qualifications other than a degree-any degree- for what I do) but still, I'd like to understand science and all those other subjects better than I do. And I worked out the answer to my question about why bothering to study for an a when a b will do pretty quickly too...namely they're very helpful to getting you into a good uni. If only I'd realised that when doing my gcse's and a-level's...
And I really regret not studying more at uni. Again, not so much for work but because it was a brilliant opportunity to learn all sorts of stuff (not necessarily useful stuff but certainly interesting).

So, I almost agree with you Hiney. I do call gcse's easy and I do regret my laziness. I am however not paying the price for said laziness(I don't think...)

EDIT: forgot to add, I haven't read all of this thread so if what I've just written has already been written by someone else then please forget my post.

And well done to anyone who put the effort in.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Absolute f***ing BULLSHIT

The difficulty of GCSEs is always going to be relative to the ability of the person taking them. However, they seem to be getting easier every year and these days the standard required to get a C grade isn't something that will impress many employers. Kids are leaving school with a handful of GCSEs and a false sense of ability.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I suggest Hiney and Buzzer check their facts. I am not going to correct you again. Just because someone has a differant opinion from you, you decide you can take some sort of policing role on here. I put it to you that you are the miserable old curmudgeons on here.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Absolute f***ing BULLSHIT

Did you have kids that completed GCSE's this year? It would explain your blind refusal to accept anyone else's opinion.

I am afraid I can't contribute anymore to a thread where folks like you get their facts completely wrong, behave ignorantly, fail to read posts in full, and get so outraged at a bit of ribbing. Unbelievable.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I suggest Hiney and Buzzer check their facts. I am not going to correct you again. Just because someone has a differant opinion from you, you decide you can take some sort of policing role on here. I put it to you that you are the miserable old curmudgeons on here.

Miserable? You're the one pissing on these kids success. Hiney and I are merely pointing out that yet again you post shite masquerading as controversy. That ain't policing. It's a difference of opinion. Why do you always trot out this policing bollocks every time someone disagrees with you?

You really are a prize twat. Edward de Bono would have a field day with your logic. What is it again? You post controversial stuff but simster and I are the ones that get personal. You disagree with people and tell them yet when hiney and I do it we're policing. Racist jokes bad spacka jokes good.

Inconsistent little home help, that's youu

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Miserable? You're the one pissing on these kids success. Hiney and I are merely pointing out that yet again you post shite masquerading as controversy. That ain't policing. It's a difference of opinion. Why do you always trot out this policing bollocks every time someone disagrees with you?

You really are a prize twat. Edward de Bono would have a field day with your logic. What is it again? You post controversial stuff but simster and I are the ones that get personal. You disagree with people and tell them yet when hiney and I do it we're policing. Racist jokes bad spacka jokes good.

Inconsistent little home help, that's youu

You cannot just comment on the subject you have to get personal and swear at people. I would take a good long look at myself if I were you buzzer and stop taking yourself so seriously.
My days! You are a boring individual.. :yawn:

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You cannot just comment on the subject you have to get personal and swear at people. I would take a good long look at myself if I were you buzzer and stop taking yourself so seriously.
My days! You are a boring individual.. :yawn:

Seem to be interesting enough for you to reply despite you saying that you were leaving this thread. Am I not supposed to be on your ignore list anyway?

On the subject of getting personal, remind me again who sent me a pm a few weeks back with the thread title "why don't you f*** off?"

Oh, that's right, it was you. If you can't take it don't give it

Mar 13, 2008
Please. Other than the 'more people are passing them so they must be easier' argument, can some one post some evidence that they are easier??

And I want some proper evidnce. Not any hear say or shit that you ahve read in kerry katonas colum in the sun (or where ever it is she does her colum)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here