Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GB football team

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
With all this talk about a GB footy team for the 2012 olympics, got me thinking. If the side was picked now, who from NI, Scotland, Wales would actually get in the side now?

The only ones I can think of is mayber Given/Gordon in goal. Maybe Robbie Keane in the squad.

So what would your side be now? I'd prob go for:

Given

Cole
Terry
Rio
Richards

Cole
Hargreaves
Gerrard
Beckham

Rooney
Owen

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Doesn't the majority of the squad have to be under 23 or something like that?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
With all this talk about a GB footy team for the 2012 olympics, got me thinking. If the side was picked now, who from NI, Scotland, Wales would actually get in the side now?

The only ones I can think of is mayber Given/Gordon in goal. Maybe Robbie Keane in the squad.

Given

Cole
Terry
Rio
Richards

Cole
Hargreaves
Gerrard
Beckham

Rooney
Owen
given is from the republic , so wouldnt qualify.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I reckon we will have to take a quota in the starting line up from each nation, which will be harsh, but as it isnt the rule I will try and pick someone from each nation

Gordon (Scotland)

Micah Richards (England)
Rio Ferdinand (England)
Jonathan Woodgate (England)
Gareth Bale (Wales)

David Beckham (England)
Steven Gerrard (England)
Aaron Ramsey (Wales)
Joe Cole (Wales)

Michael Owen (England)
David Healy (Northern Ireland)

And doesn't the fact that the four football associations can get together to pick a combined team to represent the UK at one tournament explode the arrangement that gives each home nation separate membership of FIFA and UEFA?

Wait for the argument to be shouted loud from the rooftops of FIFA Towers:- Why not do the same thing for the World Cup? And the European Championships?

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I think the idea is preposterous anyway. The olympics is meant to be for ameteurs. The fact that pro tennis, basketball and football players are allowed to compete is against the very ethics of the Olympics

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Given

Cole
Terry
Rio
Richards

Cole
Hargreaves
Gerrard
Beckham

Rooney
Owen

Neither Shay Given or Robbie Keane are from Great Britain!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Paula radcliffe is an ameteur tho. Yes she makes money through the sport but she is not paid by a club or organisation to compete. Her money comes from prize money & sponsorship

That is an utter SHAM.

Try telling that to Chris Wood who finished 5th in The Open as a proper amateur and had to forego over £100K prize money.

Last edited:

Paula radcliffe is an ameteur tho. Yes she makes money through the sport but she is not paid by a club or organisation to compete. Her money comes from prize money & sponsorship

I thought most (if not all) people, certainly on the athletics side, were paid by Team GB. The idea being that then they don't have to hold down a full time job, and have more time for training, and will supposedly be better.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
That is an utter SHAM.

Try telling that to Chris Wood who finished 5th in The Open as a proper amateur and had to forego over £100K prize money.

Then he deserved the prize money then.

Athletics tho has always been an ameteur sport. Yes those at the top make some money out of it though endorsements etc but most of the british Olympic team will have full time jobs

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Story on BBC sport website today that the FA insist that there will be a BG team in 2012. They say that there is a president to - where the GB hockey team has consisted almost entirely of English players in the past.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Germany's women's team have just drawn 0-0 with Brazil, not bad I suppose, although disappointing compared to the world cup. More importantly, THERE's a game that I'd give good money to be in the showers for.

Oct 25, 2003
well 2012 is 4 years away, and seeing as most of the team have to be under 23 i'd imagine, if there was a GB side, that a fair chunk of the team wouldn't be 'well known' at the moment

the likes of bale and ramsay would probably be STARS by then and isn't there a shit hot scottish kid who liverpool wanted?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here