symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Having been here i know how hard it is
The thing is, it's different for many people. Many of us have had tragedies in our lives, but that doesn't mean we know how it is for others who, on the face of it, have had a similar experience. Also, I don't believe for a minute that Gazza has only suffered with alcoholism (to be clear, I'm not talking about what anyone else has been through).

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I think the main difference between let's say, Paul Merson and Gazza is that Merson went through every addiction while he was playing - when he was at the top. I still find it incredible that the cocaine and level of drinking and gambling was hidden from the media and Merse had to confess to the Daily Mirror. At the time it was shocking because coke was a 'harder' drug then and less was known about it than now where it's almost socially acceptable. Also, Merson wasn't anywhere near as good as Gazza but I still remember that image of Merson breaking down next to his manager, George Graham and describing his nightmare; his paranoia, his feeling of hitting rock bottom and his eagerness to be given one more chance.

Gazza's problems began when his career was on the slide and what he was going to do after he hung up his boots. Merson managed briefly at Walsall and is on Soccer Saturday every week. Two different characters who also played together at Middlesbrough but have both faced horrible addictions.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
If you saw the documentary on the 96 Euros you'd have seen David Seamans story of Gazza drinking then taking diazapam whilst fishing and falling in the lake. He was at it in his prime. I'm gonna repeat that he hit his 5 year old son and beat up his wife, was good with a leather football though !

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If you saw the documentary on the 96 Euros you'd have seen David Seamans story of Gazza drinking then taking diazapam whilst fishing and falling in the lake. He was at it in his prime. I'm gonna repeat that he hit his 5 year old son and beat up his wife, was good with a leather football though !

Yep I watched that. He enjoyed trying to fight the diazapam. Didn't last long and he fell asleep on the bank after his fishing failure.

I didn't know he hit his son though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I wish him well, and hope something can be done. But....

The folk who sit around Brighton in derelict shop entrances, their only comfort being a bottle of Scotland's finest, are regarded with disdain and vitriol by many.

The only difference between them and Gazza is that they weren't so gifted at kicking a ball, and they don't have rich mates to bail them out now and then.

Sad really.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I wish him well, and hope something can be done. But....

The folk who sit around Brighton in derelict shop entrances, their only comfort being a bottle of Scotland's finest, are regarded with disdain and vitriol by many.

The only difference between them and Gazza is that they weren't so gifted at kicking a ball, and they don't have rich mates to bail them out now and then.

Sad really.

Thats bollox sorry mate. Gazza can a bottle of something, these guys have to beg for it. Best :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here